SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osucowboys405

What can I plant NOW? I'm a black thumb... gave up last year, try

osucowboys405
11 years ago

Are there any seeds I can plant now that are easy to grow?

The only thing I've managed to keep alive in the past year is a Pothos Ivy inside.

Last year I didn't even try to plant anything outside. I gave up. After 2 years of effort and money trying to get something-- anything-- to grow outside, I just didn't want to try it it last year. I was pretty disappointed from 2 years.

I'm going to give it another try this year. Is there anything I can plant that could survive a black thumb like me?

In 2010 and 2011, I tried planting tons of seeds. I think I planted a few dozen varieties. I tried starting some inside then transplanting. I tried starting some outside. I tried planting all sorts of seeds and bulbs: foxglove, petunia, pansy, elephant ears, freesia, sunflower, tulips (12 inch plant), dahlia bulbs, gladiolas (the bulbs grew somewhat tall, but never sprouted), zinnia, moonflower, begonia, roses (as a 12 inch plant), and more. Many sprouted inside, but not all... and the ones that survived being transplanted outside didn't survive until bloom.

I was pretty disappointed that my garden just wouldn't grow.

The seeds that even sprouted just didn't make it to bloom. I planted them in what I thought was the right about of shade/sun. They didn't like it.

Even plants I bought in planters didn't last long with me. I killed ENGLISH IVY. I mean, seriously? That stuff is supposed to live with the cockroaches if nothing else survives. Lantana also didn't last but maybe a month.

Apparently I'm a black thumb.

I just can't keep plants alive. If they sprout, they rarely bloom. I've tried different watering schedules. I've gotten Miracle Grow. I've tried to read up on the plants I was planting online.

The only thing that survived and even blossomed at all either year was orange daisies. They smell bad, but actually came back last year for their second bloom. They bloomed two years! My only plant that has...

There are other plants that came with the house that have survived, so I don't think the soil instantly ruins plants. I've got roses, scrubs, monkey grass, a few trees, pine tree/scrubs, and crepe myrtles that came with the house. Those have survived. The roses that came with the house don't bloom nearly as much as they did when the previous residents live here. The orange daisies I planted in 2010 or 2011 came back for a second year in 2012.

This is half just a vent. I was so disappointed in previous year's gardening efforts completely failing that I didn't plant even one seed or bulb last year. I'm cautiously going to give it a try this year if I can find something easy and hardy.

This post was edited by osucowboys405 on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 1:47

Comments (3)