SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

FIL is dying...and I don't care

Texas_Gem
8 years ago

I'm having a tough time right now so I thought I would turn to the more experienced people I know for some wisdom or advice.

My FIL checked out on life when my husband was a young teen (attempted suicide, his older daughter found him) since then he has basically not cared about anyone or anything.

I've watched my husband, through our entire marriage, try to connect with his dad on some level and it has always failed, with his dad's only response being to either make a joke or just ignore what was said.

I've watched my husband for YEARS be torn up inside because no matter what he does or how hard he tries, his father doesn't care.

Our own children (his grandchildren) have said they don't like grandpa and honestly, who can blame them? We live in the same town but as far as I can recall, he's never held any of them and all they know of him is to be quiet when his game is on or he will yell at them to shut up or get out of the way the one time a year they actually see him.

His health has been deteriorating for quite a while now but today, while I was at a doctors appointment, my husband called to tell me that it looks like the end is near. As soon as I was done, I went to my in-laws house to meet my husband.

It was SOOO awkward. I have NO positive emotions towards this man, but suddenly I'm standing in their living room, watching him cry for his long dead mother with his wife, son and daughter around him and all I feel is anger!!

How dare he!!! Hasn't my family suffered enough because of his apathy, now my poor husband has to be drug through all of it again?!?

FIL talked to wife, said daughters name, but never recognized or acknowledged his son, my husband.

I'm so torn because it is obviously tearing my husband up but instead of feeling sympathy for him, I'm just angry at his father for once again causing him pain!

Am I a terrible person? Here is someone on their literal deathbed and all I feel is anger at them? How could I be so heartless to a dying person?

How do I offer emotional support to my husband when all I'm thinking (and want to say) is your better off without him? I mean, its his dad for Christ's sake!!

No matter how terrible of a person he was, it still pains my hubby and I just don't know how to help him.

Any advice?

Comments (52)