SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neesie_gw

FIL widowed

neesie
16 years ago

My FIL lives in a very small house with my 30-something year old neice. My MIL passed away a few months ago after several years of ill health. When my MIL was healthy she kept a very clean home, although it was cluttered mostly due to my FIL's tendancies. (Stacks of old bills, National Geographics, pantry that was out of control and used food containers mostly).

Now that MIL is gone we don't expect the neice to do everything. After all, taking care of her grandfathers food and washing and general pick up while working a full time job we shouldn't complain. So we do pitch in and do some general house and yardwork.

We recently had my daughter's picture taken by a photographer and I was going to bring one over to him. I realized that every grandchild and great-grandchild's photo from the last I-don't-know-how-many-years has taken over every single end table and available vertical space in the tiny house. I bought a magnetic frame for the fridge and have chickened out with my latest idea.

What would you think if I took all the framed photos that were over say, two years old, and put them in a magnetic photo album? I know the magnetic albums are not recommended these days but realistically we'd be splitting these photos up in a few years when FIL passes away. That would just leave the current photos out and an album to put on his coffee table. I'm afraid to make the suggestion. But in a family with 8 grown kids, 20-something grandchildren of which half are married and some of them have given great-grandchildren wouldn't this be a practacal thing to do? It depresses me to see the same old graduation photos of someone who is in their forties or fifties staring at me each time I go there. What if they kept them out of guilt, that they HAD to display their family photos? Isn't there a point where you put them away?

Personally, I have three "children" (20-ish) and I only have one photo of each of them in my living room. No others on display; I have a few albums within reach of the living room. Do you really want to see a persons entire relation going back into time when you visit someone? Is there a point when you don't even "see" the photo anymore because it's soooo old? Does this sound cold and callus or sensible? I wish I had a picture to post so you could see how these framed photos have taken over the house!

Comments (24)