SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Family Secrets- Upsetting to me.

jannie
12 years ago

My widowed Mom passed away in January. I had known for years she was adopted. She confided in me. After she died, my brother took on the responsibilty of clearing out her house and going through personal papers. Among them he found our father's birth certificate, showing an entirely different first and last name and that his mother was actully his older sister "Teddi." He was officially adopted by his Grandparents when he was two years old. His Mother explained he was an "oops" who came along twenty years after her first six children. He was sent to Catholic School to remove the shame and guilt of his parentage. I never suspected a thing growing up. I just knew I had very old aunts and uncles and cousins who were about as old as my Dad. The three older siblings (including Teddi) treated Dad pretty cold during their lifetimes, the younger three were much nicer to him, including him and us kids in Holiday celebrations and such. Seems Dad had a great liking for his "Aunt Teddi's" two daughters, who were actually his half-sisters. I spoke about this with my brother and sister, who both knew all the details. My brother said Mom, in her last months, told him not to speak about it, because "All those people are gone, no good can come from it." So here I am with family secrets on both sides, feeling a little confused.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville