SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please, help me save my last lemon meyer. What is the secret?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

I was wondering if anyone here has had total sucess at growing "lemon meyers" indoors throughout winters and how?

What is the secret?

I will admit,

I have no idea what I might be doing wrong, with just my "meyer lemons".

Is this one of the hardest trees to grow amoungst the citrus family indoors here?

I think so, for me at least.

What exactly is the proper care for them indoors?

Am I suppose to treat them different than my other citrus?

Is there a secret to keeping them healthy all winter?

I have many citrus that are doing excellent, all in the same room, such as washington navel, grapefruit, kumquats, lime, calamondin, and podorosa lemon trees. All have not lost any leaves, all are showing signs of healthy new growth, deep green, and some even have some fruit. Very healthy. In fact they thrive for me under the same conditions I have provided for my "meyers"..So I am stumped....

I have to admit,

I haven't had sucess with "lemon meyers" for years, in the winter, and why every "meyer" I have had? I really would love to get at least my last one through this winter, so I can say I did it.. I love them so much!

Up till now, for the past 6 years, I have failed. I have lost 3 again this winter. Yes, 3 of my meyers. My third one died this past week.:-(. I keep saying I can do it every fall year.

They are my favorite citrus, when doing well and in bloom.

I have one left that seems to be going down the same path.

Please help me save the poor thing.

You might wonder, what happened to them before they croaked?

All the leaves turned yellow on the veins, then completely yellow, then they all fell off. Bare branches. Then the next thing that followed was brown dried out branches,then death..

I don't understand why they were so difficult.

Is it something I did wrong or the nature of the beast? Are they easy to grow indoors? Is it possible to keep meyers healthy all winter up here, near the north pole? Can I still save my last one? Any ideas?

All my trees in are in well draining soil, in a very warm room all winter, getting as much sun as possible in south facing windows, with grow lights as an added bonus..Is this something meyers detest?

I can't see what I am doing wrong, if ALL my other citrus are doing so well.

Maybe I should of stuck it in a cold storage room, with little sun and let it go dormant with no water at all? Maybe they need sleep?

Are the meyers suppose to get different treatment?

Now I have no idea. I know I am doing something wrong with just the "meyer lemons" though.

Please help me save my last one....

Thanks so much...

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!