SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freckleface_gw

Oh, someone save my Meyer Lemon!

freckleface
18 years ago

I hope I'm not being repititive - I'm new to this forum, and while I did a search and found there are a bunch of Meyer Lemon tree problems out there, I can't find exactly the answer I need.

I bought my young tree about a month ago and planted into a large container with good drainage holes in a position that catches the afternoon sun. I used regular potting mix (which I gather from reading other posts is not good). It immediately ceased thriving. The leaves have gone yellow from the veins outwards, and are falling at an alarming rate. The leaves at the top of the tree are healthier than those lower down.

I watered it according to the instructions - for the first two days after repotting, then twice weekly in the first week, then once a week thereafter. (I wait for the first couple of inches to dry out before I water again.)

I used a complete plant-food style fertiliser when i planted it, and again a week or two later. I gather also that I should regret this.

It is autumn, or fall, here in Melbourne, though it is unseasonably warm at the moment. We expect coldish winters here, although it doesn't snow or even frost very much.

Someone told me that you should urinate on it (to increase the nitrogen), so my obliging husband gives it the odd sprinkle!

If I do need to repot it, should I do it now, or wait till spring?

Many thanks for any advice - I am a novice but keen gardener and want to save my lovely tree.

Comments (6)