SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poplarstreet_gw

trying to save deceased grandfather's meyer lemon!

poplarstreet
18 years ago

As you will probably notice, I know nothing about plants, so I would really appreciate any advice you can give! I've previously asked people at Home Depot and the like, but so far, things are not looking good...

My grandfather gave me a beautiful little meyer lemon tree a few years ago, and then unfortunately did not live for long after that. (Thus the sentimental attachment to this tree!) The tree thrived for a couple of years in the ground in Lake Charles, Louisiana -- where it was quite hot and humid. But then my husband found a new job in Dallas. I couldn't bear to leave the tree behind, so I dug it up and potted it to move it with us. That was last August. At that time, it had 40 lemons on it and was very healthy. But the shock of being dug up, losing some roots, and staying in that pot for about 4 months caused it to lose all its leaves and lemons, and many of the branches to turn brown. Also, the branches that are still green look kind of sucked dry. While it was in the pot, I used root stimulator a couple of times. I was advised not to trim it back (wrong time of the year, too much shock already), and not to use fertilizer.

Now it's in the ground in Dallas, and looking worse. There is no sign of budding. Should I trim off the dead branches? Should I cut back the green (yet sucked-dry) branches? My husband says we should use fertilizer. Is this a good idea? Is there any hope for my tree?

Thanks so much...

Comments (7)