SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Forum not as active? Answer the Poll, please! Part Deux

ttodd
14 years ago

Alright: I'm 40. Don't know why that was so hard to post. I never keep track of my birthdays (usually forget until my mom calls me to sing) and up until this yr. could hardly tell you exactly how old I was unless I sat down w/ a calculater and by that time I figured it was too much work to know!

I have to have been around GW longer then 2002 since we bought our house in Jan 2000 & I remember Spike.

Don't worry Red and SheeSharee and others that asked, I'm not going anywhere. Love it (and you all too much!).

We have 3 kids, 6yrs today, 3yrs and 1yr.

I work 2 14hr days and 1 6hr day to be home w/ the kids longer days. My blessed MIL helps.

I live and breathe houses. I designed my 1st house in elementary school. Dad was an architect and so is my FIL. Old homes are my passion! I still think about going back to school to be an architect. My FIl has mentioned it to me and then to work for him and take it over. I'm more inclined to do restoration though on a small scale though for my own personal kicks.

I dream of having a tiny little Home Decor/ New and Used Book/ Coffee Shop some day. I'd have Christmas stuff all yr. round.

Lets see - I'm a Marine Corps Vet. My BIl was my commanding officer and that's how I met DH. I know Newdawn loves the whole Ball story of how we met but I'll save that for later! At some point during my military stint somebody told me that I was only 1 of 4 women in my field at that rank in the MC in the country. I was the 1st person in 25yrs to be promoted on the spot and also by the Commanding Officer of the entire 4 FSSG (the guy that tells us ALL what to do across the country in the US) so I always felt very honored and felt that I proved the place of a woman in the Marines working out in the field w/ the men.

Comments (55)

• natal
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I found this forum a few years ago when we were starting an addition and kitchen reno. I would visit when my head was spinning from kitchen and bath decisions. It provided a much-needed diversion. Didn't really get to know the players until about the past 18 months. Since then have witnessed the changes JM mentioned. Same thing happened on the Southern Living board. It became so nicey-nice that you needed boots to visit.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that when a poster made an unacceptable comment and was reported for breaking the rules, that person was prohibited from posting for a set amount of time. It was said she had gone to Disney Land and was riding the Teacup Ride.

• Related Discussions

Foster fur-kids, part deux....

Q

Comments (27)
    Make sure they test for Coccidia...sometimes they don't check for that and just look for worms... Yes we will indeed have his stools checked for Coccidia, thanks :o) You know usually stress isn't the cause the diarrhea, it is usually something that was already there and the stress has lowered the immune system just enough to set it loose.... Does that make sense?? yes, totally, the same thing happens with hamsters but mostly Syrians. Syrians get wet tail because something shocks their immune systems when they are moved long distances. The bacteria are there but it doesn't strike them hard until they are stressed. Are his eyes clear and sparkly (no gunk)? his eyes get gooky when he goes out in the bitter cold but otherwise they are clear and no sign of infection, scleras are white throughout Is his nose runny at all...dripping?? No,no drips at all, dry most of the time and cold and damp when he comes in from the cold but dries up again What color are his gums? Should be a nice pink, not too pale.. very nice pink and well hydrated...been checking for that Does he feel extra warm? (normal is around 101º) no, normal How many rounds of shots has he gotten? one round of shots on December 19th In consideration of his breed mix, I would make sure to time his last distemper/parvo vaccination to be given after his 16th week of age (at the same time as his rabies vac). ok...what is the rationalle for that, just curious Did he get a vaccination immediately before you took him home? no, almost a month ago How old did you say he was?? 9 weeks Do keep me posted...I certainly get anxious when I hear the words "sick puppy"...aak! well, I really don't think he's sick with a fever or anything but he could still have something in his stools, so we'll have that checked. He's playing like a kitten, pouncing on sticks and leaves and chasing after toys and generally either getting into trouble or looking for attention...typical puppy stuff. He is napping much better now. He'll nap for a full hour now whereas he was only taking 10 minute cat naps before and crying a lot. Today there was no crying at all and he is back on his food eating about 50/50 steamed rice and dry chow. One thing I thought of was that darn oil tablet the lady gave him at the rescue. I don't know how long she'd been giving it to him but those things are big and I'm sure it was like giving him cod liver oil twice a day. I've discontinued that entirely and today he is having better formed poos and not feeling the urgency to get outside. Ugh! It's a horrid day today... freezing rain so the deck where I was letting him out is thick with ice and the poor thing is terrified. I am too...afraid of falling that is so now I have to trapse him through the garage and out the back garage door onto MORE ice but at least if he falls he will fall only the ground and not off the edge of the deck. I'll pop back in with at "Pupdate" later and let you know what a second slide of his stools shows. Thanks so much, Barb & "Lake" When I foster puppies, I always have my vet tech/or vet if necessary on speed dial!! LOL!! I have the whole routine down...
    ...See More

5th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange - Pt. Deux

Q

Comments (95)
    Something else that is really cool about Heather's swap (and the other round-robins) is that when I'm reading the threads on GW I recognize many names, esp. those who have been around a few years and/or sent me seeds. When I have grown someone's plants, I feel some kind of connection with them. (Hi, Janine!) Some old salts like Smokemaster put their names on every packet they send out. I'm realizing how much I appreciate that, and I'm gonna start doing it. Hope others will too - it makes this chili addiction even more fun. Happy holidays to all. Rick
    ...See More

2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal- Part DEUX!!!

Q

Comments (163)
    I love this kitchen!! I love the character and the timelessness with so many of today's great features that we all want. I have been planning a kitchen remodel for what feels like 2 years now and my layout is very similar with the exception to the amount of space you have to the left of your double wall ovens. Thank you for all the detailed pictures as this validates a lot of my current layout choices, especially the corner of your sink wall / cooking wall where I've been back and forth 100 times and where your double ovens are located!!
    ...See More

A Collected & Layered Apt Part Deux

Q

Comments (81)
    "Pal, I'm very intrigued by this and by an earlier comment you made distinguishing between 'tacky' and 'intentionally vulgar'. As a Germanic type, I'm fairly clear on what Kitsch is (!), but vulgar/tacky is a finer and more difficult one for me to parse. Where would one start in making that conceptual differentiation, in your view?" I think 'tacky' is UNintentional, as in trying to decorate a room that looks really "classy" but fails. I also know someone who has a very rigid palette and "theme" for each room and while they really aren't quite tacky, they aren't particularly elegant either. There is obsessive attention to perfect matching of colors, and, for example, if the starting point is a rug, Only a color that is in the rug can appear in the room, and if there is only a Little bit of a color in the rug only a Little of that color can reappear. Pillows and pictures and accessories and knickknacks get auditioned and if they don't match something exactly they get returned. If the theme in the dining room is "Wine" even the pictures on the walls have to have something to do with wine or grapes or vineyards. It's all very stiff and "formal" even though she would say her style is casual. There is nothing really wrong or bad about the way the rooms look, but the effect is a little dead rather than comfortable. In contrast the intentionally over the top aspects of this apartment are the ones that Reject the initial formality that is the foundation of each room: "Like Blue Willow china? Let's see if we can cram 18 plates onto the backsplash" "Bird cage dangling down apropos of nothing else in the kitchen? Sure, why not?" "Pale blue and pink bedroom grounded in black? Lets put a brown-black, gold and avocado pillow on a prominent chair. It clashes with everything. That'll show em we're casual." "TV? Let's go to extremes to hide it and then tell everyone where it is." They didn't stop when they knew it was enough. They did things like set up a rigid formality with the Japanese screen on the end wall and then put a lopsided furniture arrangement with the sofa to one side underneath. They intentionally used colors that didn't quite match, and intentionally threw in some things that clashed. Tacky would never do this, tacky would have to make sure it all matched, all followed the rules, and it all wasn't too much.
    ...See More
  • pat_tea
    14 years ago

Pat_Tea, Patti F-61. Lurked rose forums for a year before registering in 2004. Ended up as a regular poster on Cottage Gardens. When I checked out the decorating forum the first time the thread I opened was entitled "What don't you like in decorating". It seemed that the posters disliked everything that I liked, country rustic, roosters, ruffled valances, etc. etc. I decided it wasn't for me but checked it out again two years ago when we started the process of building our home. Lurked here until recently. The posters on DF now are not so critical of ones style of decorating but instead give sound advice relavant to any style. I still love my roosters and rustic decorating but am trying to make it a little more refined and I finally let go of the mauve and blue that I loved so much. Great thread and great forum. Oh, I am a retired Special Programs Manager and Crisis Counselor for a school district.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I like the new niceness that prevails although I always enjoy, as a bystander, a good argument. (like Frank from Mash!) I don't miss some of the mean posters and while I do dislike many styles of decorating, don't feel the need to let someone know how awful and abominable their nest is to me- how mean and ugly when that happens.
    Ultimately, to each his own.

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

I'm a (almost, next week), 46 female. I found GW when we put a major addition on our house, which included a new kitchen and I ended up in the kitchen forum. After the kitchen was done, I moved to this wonderful forum and finally joined around 2007? I most lurk and learn since I'm still decorating challenged. I do poke my head in the cooking and quilting forum, but hang out here mostly. I work on computers all day, so I don't do much with them in the evenings and the fact that I have 2 small kids (6 and 8) that keep me pretty busy.

• vickij
    14 years ago

Yes, Spike would send us to Disney to ride the teacup ride. We were a bit more vocal then and what I consider to be a lot more honest. We were not afraid to give our honest opinion, after all everyone has one. I think we subscribed to the theory of "if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question." I find it difficult to reply to a post now because if I make a comment that someone might consider to be a negative, I find that I always have to follow up with a positive so no one becomes offended. Too much work for me. I am more of a say it like it is person.

• parma42
    14 years ago

"I like the new niceness that prevails although I always enjoy, as a bystander, a good argument. (like Frank from Mash!) I don't miss some of the mean posters and while I do dislike many styles of decorating, don't feel the need to let someone know how awful and abominable their nest is to me- how mean and ugly when that happens.
    Ultimately, to each his own."

Nicely said.

I'm not trying to be a goody two-shoes, and once in a while the old chant "Time to get out the popcorn!" can be kind of fun. The same with posters that seem to have an ongoing battle with each other. I just move aside and let them duke it out. Don't see the reason to take sides when that happens.

I love a dry wit and black humor, and IRL I'm not that nice of a person, but calling something tacky or someone ignorant, is neither witty nor humorous.

Pat tea brings up the "What don't you like..." threads. Imo, those are where people who don't want to seem aggressive on somebody's OP, can pretty much show disdain for their choices in a more acceptable manner. Don't like them.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

vicki, it is a lot of work these days. It seems like people are just looking to find a way to be offended and you never know what nano-segment of a sentence they're going to latch on to, hyper-focus on and freak out over. It requires a different level of energies to be here than it used to.

As far as all the paint and color questions on the Decorating Forum, there is a Paint Forum for those questions.

However, the problem is...

People keep posting telling the posters over there (who have chosen the correct forum to post on) to come over to THIS board with their questions.

The Paint Forum doesn't see as much traffic, that is true. But at the same time, "Paint" was separated from "Home Decorating" for a reason.

Doesn't matter to me one way or another, truly it's like all one bucket IMO. But it seems that when an inordinate amount of paint and color topics end up on page one of the Home Decorating board it irritates some folks -- and perhaps rightly so.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I don't have a problem at all with an honest answer. It's all in the way you say it. Of course how you come across is harder over the internet than in person.

tina

• mjsee
    14 years ago

As to riding the teacups...

I don't know from personal experience, but I know people who were "sent to Disney." In the early days if one were sent to disney,when one attempted to log on one was re-directed to Disney World's home page. Yes, really. I think, after awhile, Spike had to quit doing that.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I think we subscribed to the theory of "if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question.

But the problem many of us have had is we didn't ask the questions to the negative replies to our topics.

Funcolors, I don't believe for a moment anyone is looking to be offended here. I think we all would like a pat on the back every now and then.

I've seen many people leave for the reason I listed above. It hurts when we do a topic asking a simple question or just to show something off, and all we get is criticism.

But I'm glad we're talking about it because I do get my feelings hurt when I do a topic and the replies have nothing to do with what I ask.

Back to the original question...I lurked for a year or so, then joined in 2008 before our new addition/remodel.

I just LOVE looking at other's homes, whether I like their style or not.

Pat tea, I'm like you, I don't know of anyone here on the board who has my style of decorating, or for that matter, even likes it! lol. But I do get good ideas.

I'm 55. Wow! I don't work outside the house.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I forgot to comment on the abundance of paint topics. I don't mind them because to me, it IS a huge part of decorating. My problem is most of the replies to all the paint topics is one color. Green. LOL.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

oakley, agreed about getting replies that are quite a bit off from the original post. I too have read a few and wondered, where did THAT reply come from? lol! :~D

What I'm talking about is being completely on topic and feeling like you have to walk on eggshells and read and reread a million times before you hit submit. It's about going thru your post with a fine-tooth-comb trying to decide if someone is going to ferret out the smallest, oddest d@mn thing to get their thong in a wad over when your true intent is to just be matter of fact and constructively contribute. Instead of focusing on a response that is helpful and accurate, the concern is "does that sound 'nice' enough?"

Even tho the new sensitive climate on the forum is somewhat exhausting, I try to remember that ultimately, no one can offend me unless I choose to let them. If I take offense to someone being offended by what I post, then it's my own fault. Not theirs.

• sidewindette
    14 years ago

Hi. I'm 51 (that's hard to say!!), and I've been lurking here for quite some time. I post just very seldom, but love reading all of the questions and comments.

My house is 15 years old and is always a work in progress, but hubby can't understand why. Wish I had an eye for design, but that's what these forums are all about - to get help.

I've an avid spray painter. My daughter kids me about my abundant collection of paint, and my 'wild hair' need to change the color of something at a minute's notice.

After reading all these posts and those on several other forums, my dd and I redid two mid century modern bedroom suites. One for her room here at home and one for her college apt. Never had taken on such a large project, but both came out very well and makes me want to try more.

So, I watch CL all the time for more projects.

• natal
    14 years ago

Oakley, you're not talking about tuna and chicken salad are you? ;)

• donka
    14 years ago

Hi all!

I'm new to the Home Decorating forum. I lurked for a long time before signing up last year so I could post in the Kitchen forum to get advice on my reno. I'm just jumping into this forum and posting right away because hey, why not?

I'm a 33 yo female, who will probably end up hanging out a lot here since we're moving onto other parts of the house now. I look forward to getting to 'know' you :)

I think I can relate about the 'nice' problem. I have written and deleted more posts over in kitchens than I've actually posted, because I realized my post was contradictory or not 'nice' enough. So, as long as you're not calling me names or getting vicious, I can handle critique, so bring it on!

• mary52zn8tx
    14 years ago

Another 57 year old teacher here. I joined GW in 2005 because of the hosta forum. It is still my first love, but I have expanded to several other forums. We have a 60's ranch and have working on it for years. I spent loads of time in the kitchen forum when we were updating our kitchen. That was interrupted by windows, doors and a new roof. Now all of that is done, I hope to finish the kitchen in the near future. I check in here regularly, but mostly lurk. I especially love to watch what people do to improve the curb appeal of their homes. The photoshoppers here rock.

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

I hate to say this but I think this will be an on going problem on all of the forums. As posters we are all at different levels of confidence in our decorating and our life in general. We also all have different needs in asking our questions. I am at the place in my decorating where I want honest answers to specific questions. I want to get it right. Other's may be seeking a boost of confidence or approval or conformation. My mother use to tell me to "consider the source" when advice was given. I try to do that on this forum. Have any of you ever done a search on the people who are giving you advice to see what their background is on this forum. Have they posted pictures of their own homes? In other words can you put value in their opinions? Just some food for thought.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Interesting history, ttodd. Would like more detail later....

I beg to differ on the paint color/decorating thing? What exactly, about choosing the right color for your room is NOT tied in to Decorating? Sometimes, for me, choosing a different paint shade is the only decorating difference I am making in a room. Now, on the old BHG boards, there was a forum called "DECORATING" and one called "COLOR". Both boards got pretty heavy traffic, but a lot of us (that are still talking to each other!) stayed over on Color, because it had more to do with choosing paint shades to go with our furniture, and because the Decorating side had some real honest-to-goodness-troll-nasties over there, who were able to even shed their screen names, (NOT that that Identifies you really!) and post mean-spirited commentary anonymously.
    Now, it really didn't seem very important to me, that there be a specific "Paint" forum over here, but some people thought it was a necessity. And when I venture over there, they do get more into the technical specifics of oh.......Oil-based over acrylic? Best trim paint? What brush to use with Cabinet Coat? How to avoid yellowing cabinets? Techniques for cutting in at ceiling line?
    But when some fairly new poster has asked what I consider to be a Decorating question.........about paint shade or what color to tone down orange tile or what shade of sage is closest to Silver Sage........and they are not getting responses, then, yes---I sing my siren song and lure them over here where there are a lot more people thinking color. This is not an apology for doing so. It just makes sense to me.

Red

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Like I said, it's all one big bucket IMO any way.

Here, there, or whatever it's just a click between forums. When Paint was separated off of Home Decorating I did think it was a good idea because so many people voiced a preference to some how organize the paint/color thread topics.

On the Home Decorating board, I don't really have an interest in furniture or window treatment type threads. It's simple to just scroll by and on to something else.

• snickysnacker
    14 years ago

I am 43 and have enjoyed this forum for about 3 or 4 years but I found it by accident. I started on the garden junk forum which is a fun forum, also. I read the HD forum almost everyday and I have learned so many helpful tidbits along the way. I am awed by how many creative people there are out there! I am also hugely impressed by those who give their time to photoshop for other posters. I have beniftted from that personally and cant thank Squirrel enough!!
    I love looking at everyone's pics of their beautiful homes. I work the overnight shift (7pm- 7 am) so I peruse the site at weird hours (like now, for example). My kids are adults now so I have a LOT of free time to experiment with my projects but I remember this time of year being insanely busy when the kids were young; I think that is why the forum seems slow.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

LOL, Natal, I had completely forgotten about that one! But yeah, that one's a good example. :) BTW, I did make the chicken salad WITH Helmans, and it was a hit! I even liked it. lol

Fun, thanks for clarifying. If you did a topic and there are offensive answers, I don't see it as it being your fault though.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

My name is Jane and I am 59 years old, gads. I joined GW in the spring of 08' while doing research on antique roses.

I am a widow and have been forever and I never had children.

I moved into a Victorian Cottage circa 1895 in 02'. And I ask a lot of questions about it.

I have loved interior design forever and I love old houses and historical towns.

If I ask a question please tell me the truth. I don't want to leave the house with my slip showing sort of speak. So does my A-- look big in this house? (lol)

Simply....Jane

ttodd I am a sucker for your love story, it's true.

• parma42
    14 years ago

On the Paint vs Home Dec subject...the only reason I've shooed people over here was that I saw Faron doing it.

That's why I thought that Paint was primarily a technical forum. Many color questions go unanswered.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

I aggree with others to me Paint and Decorating go hand in hand. Being one of the 'paint color questions gals'...I have always tended to ask here for several reasons:

1) I've known this group for several years and value opinions so I am most comfortable asking here because I have a better sense of who is answering.

2) Paint section is deathly slow - when I ask a question I am super excited to get opinions and don't want to wait 3 days for 3 responses.

3) Reflecting on point 2 the decorating forum has way more traffic so I know my question will spark several very helpful opinions.

I have always wondered why they were separate forums....

Haley

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Yep, I agree Parma & Haley...

• User
    14 years ago

Paint color is part of interior decorating and I dont see why there should be a problem about asking about it in this forum. When you watch designing shows, that is one of the first things they talk about...color of the walls.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

IMO, it's not that paint and decorating DON"T go hand in hand, but that it is impossible - IMPOSSIBLE!- to assess specific shades of paint in a particular room through pictures on a computer monitor! Those questions just seem silly to me. What does it matter how it looks in someone else's house?

I love the photoshopped pictures of rooms with different treatments, but I would never choose one of the treatments for my own rooms based on them. Too, too many variables. It's one thing to get an idea, quite another to make a decision that specific.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about the insurance travails, johnmari. Is it that they wouldn't pay for that implant? I remember thinking "wow, johnmari must have great insurance to pay for that...don't think mine would." If that is it, it does stink that they won't work with you on something that would improve your life significantly and maybe make them spend *less* money in the long run :(

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I'm risking taking the topic into areas not intended by OP, but quickly just to answer that Sherrmann, I agree with you. The other day I stated it something like we color 'just for fun' around here and it didn't go over to well. It's not serious color online -- it can't be. It is a lot of fun to look at and talk about tho. Sometimes just talking thru color can be an enormous help. And can ya have too many ideas or helpful suggestions? That's part of why this forum is so awesome.

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

Interesting perspective re the paint questions. I don't mind the "let me see" questions because to me the responses are just another tool towards getting to the ultimate goal. That goal being finding a color that works. I love the photoshopped pictures of rooms with different treatments, but I would never choose one of the treatments for my own rooms based on them. That is exactly what I did. I checked out the pics of paint colors of others on the forum, plus the gallery side and Squirrel was kind enough to do some photoshopping for me. I then got sample quarts of colors that was shown here along with sample boards and went to work. Using the samples I was able to quickly eliminate certain colors and focus on others. If not for the "please show me" questions I don't think I would have been able to narrow my choices down as quickly as I did. Finally, I think it really depends on whether one is "visual" or not. If you are not and can "get" it pretty quickly, it makes life easier. If on the other hand you are visual, then I can understand the repeated requests/questions about paint and "show me". I am definitely visual!

• parma42
    14 years ago

"I'm risking taking the topic into areas not intended by OP,"

Hey, that's what we do here. :) Kinda like the game we played as kids, where you whisper a story in someone's ear and they do the same until it gets to the last person. The story they repeat is quite different from the first.

Anyhoo, that's why I'm so happy we have professionals like FC to help keep us grounded in the real world. I do like the color show and tells. I also like reminders that things like lighting and orientation have a big effect on the outcome.

• User
    14 years ago

Funcolors - "didn't go over very well"
    Maybe you didn't go back to the thread but I did thank you and it wasn't intended how you took it. We both just stated our opinions. I'll leave it at that as it's neither here nor there now.

I honestly thought the paint forum was geared towards more technical info about paint vs. what color works in a room.

I'm a visual person also so the "please post a photo of x color" helps me.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

shee, I didn't go back. It was either 'gone' or off the first page and I didn't look for it. The way I took the general gist of what you said was my own responsibility, my own issue any way, not yours. But thank you for clarifying. What's great is we were able to remind everyone once again that color online is only for reference and ideas. Much appreciated, shee.

• roobear
    14 years ago

As long as were going OT, I agree with Shee, Funcolors I don't understand why you thought people were disagreeing with you on that thread.

I always thought the forums on GW were to get ideas and suggestions. Unless your physically standing in the space, I don't think you could 100% accurately know the best paint color, furniture placement etc.

That being said, I do think that the visual examples can help to give people at least a direction to go in. I also think visuals can help those trying to offer suggestions to understand the questions or issues better.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Haven't been here, but did see this morning the thread about PSing and FCs comments about doing it for fun. I wasn't insulted by them nor did I find them condescending. As a pro she's coming from a different place than we are. I do PSing and use both Paint Shop Pro and paint manufacturer's software (buy the CD you can import your own house/room photo). But our end result, compared to her end result, is probably worlds apart quality wise. (Guarantee it's off accuracy wise, hence my disclaimer to ignore color names other than for reference.) Another comparison is like us doing a PS mock up of a room and moving things around virtually. See it done with a pro contractor's CAD program and it's a whole nuther ball game, just blows me away (witnessed 1st hand with a remodel job here).

As far as the OPs question, I wasn't going to answer. For some of the very reasons already mentioned. Changed my mind tho. And am already bracing and resisting the urge to edit, delete, rewrite. It is tiring, and leaves me personally with little desire to be here much. Makes me kind of sad, because for so many years this has been my preferred hangout online.

I tried to be brief, but condensing is not a talent I have. I'm very quiet IRL, conveying my thoughts in written words has always been easier for me. I've been accused of 'preaching'. That's not my intent with length. This place has meant something to me, lots of time invested here, so would like to add my thoughts. So just skip it please, if it's too long. It's only my .02 after all.

I hit the big 50 this year, it was traumatic! ;) My ID says I've been here since Jan 02, gosh almost 8 yrs. But seems longer, I remember Spike days and the transition to certain 'premium' forums being tagged 'read only' unless membership was paid. Never paid myself, and IIRC it was about a year later it went back to all free again when Spike sold the site. Gardening brought me to GW, getting serious about fixing up the house brought me to HD a short while later.

Do miss many of the old timers that have fallen away, and the friendly banter. We used to be able to laugh, give and take all-in-fun jabs, laugh some more. Remodeling, decorating and life is stressful enough & laughter helped. It wasn't always smooth sailing, but we seemed to manage and work things out. Far less tiptoeing about. Somebody might step out of line, somebody else would call them on it, sometimes bickering ensued, sometimes not. But rarely was the posse called in to intervene and it always ironed out.

Friends here have helped ease the pain of the loss of my dad, taking care of my ill mom, weird freakin' situations that are beyond belief that have come up, just day to day living. I used to be more comfortable opening up (with some restraint, since it's the web). But that was a long time ago. Not anymore. Not for a long time now. I'm much more guarded. A couple times I've mentioned some small personal detail in casual, in passing and much later had it flung back at me in the form of a cynical jab. Straight out of left field. Was of no consequence really & not jab-worthy when initially mentioned by me. Certainly wasn't jab-worthy when it was tossed back later. Wasn't even relevent to the discussion at the time it was tossed back. Strange thing to experience.

In recent years, there does seem to be a more steadily escalating atmosphere of 'easily hurt' followed up by retaliation later. This isn't about the age old debate of presenting/receiving comments. What I've been observing is a different trend. It's where one or two harmless suggestions in a thread turns into an OP reaction of 'nobody loves me, everybody hates me, think I'll go eat worms'. Then the OP lashes out at using terms like 'everyone' and 'all of you' and storms off to pout. Heck, sometimes in reality there might be two posters out of 12 that suggest something different than fawning accolades. The irony is those same OPs have zero problems dishing things out to others. Have seen them do it time and again.

What's worse, imo, and what I'm so weary of personally, is the vindictive 'cross me in any way and I'll report you'. Just don't get it. Won't bring it up again either. Just wanted to show how bad it's getting, because I do feel strongly it's ruining this board. It's become toxic & appears to be no end in sight. Up until a few years ago, I had exactly two FRs in my Inbox (but a big group of us got them). In recent years my Inbox count is increasing, now averaging a quarterly FR. And based on emails, I'm not alone and we got them for the same reason. Because we disagreed with someone. A small insignificance in the grand scheme, but some sure are taking it as a major offense. Differences of opinion happen on a daily basis, it's part of life. So it's hard to wrap my brain around what kind of adult reports that?? My tween nieces don't even act like that. Just leaves me shaking my head, some here who are taking this far too seriously. Don't know why differences can't be handled within the forum. That's all they are, differences. And this is just an internet forum. What could be/should be a happy diversion has rapidly become an unpleasant place to be. Yeah, it might drive some away (no doubt to the delight of those reporting). But others will soon take the departed's place as targets because no one agrees all the time. Because as FC says, you never know what's going to trip someone's switch. Not only does it sadden me greatly, it's almost not worth it anymore.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Sorry that's happening so much, Moon. I don't know what an FR is, but it can't be good. And I agree that some of the fun people just aren't here anymore. There are new fun people and formerly-lurking fun people, but as any group grows and ages...........yes...........we are all seeing the aging ! things change, and the tone changes. No way to fix that.

I assume that many here are experts or at least, well-educated, in something. For one, it might be the medical field, for another, the building trades, for someone else, design, and for still another, photo-shopping.....so we all come at a problem or room or color question, from a different angle. And the medical doctor may offer the best perspective on choosing the right gray. The Designer may be the least help in figuring out where to put the armoire. The plumber may have an awesome photo to share on window treatment choices. We all bring something to the table, and we are all predjudiced in our own ways. It can be a little hard not to sound judgemental or preachy or hard when offering a suggestion or opinion on something that we, personally, feel we know pretty well. I have that problem sometimes on threads about financial scams. I deal with it daily, so it's a little challenging not to come across as too 'know-it-all'. And another may have a clearer viewpoint than me anyway. So I try to cut some some slack when they get a little too much on their own scope of knowledge. Deborahnj put it very well in her recent comment on photoshopped rooms. Having a paint color Named and painted on a wall in a photo, may seem like an excercise in futility to a pro-decorator or designer who knows that the blue-gray pictured is not going to look the same in my DR as it does in the pictured room, but for me, looking for a good color to try, it may just send me to the right area of the paint chips display and bring me that much closer to my goal...a beautiful Dining Room.

Red

• parma42
    14 years ago

'nobody loves me, everybody hates me, think I'll go eat worms'.

Ha, moon...haven't heard that in years. My father used to say it when he drank (dysfunctional family). :)

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Hey all. I'm a 50 (oh my gawd!!!!) woman who loves decorating, looking at photos of all types of rooms, homes, etc. I'm just not that good at it!! I would offer more posts if I thought I could help. There are many, many talented people here and other forums. This is my favorite, always has been. Stumbled on in by accident yrs. ago, but did not register until_06. I love this forum & have gained valuable knowledge here. Kinda addictive to read. I do think it is possible to post honest answers w/out being abrupt or mean. But we "southern gals" have to remember not everyone is the same & others don't think anything of speaking that way.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I went outside to work, clear my head. Came back with dread, expecting a pounce or 3. Regretted hitting submit cuz I'm in a very blue frame of mind these days (after 10 years of caring for my mom, I fear I'm watching her dwindle now, some days she's not the gentle lady with rock solid faith & sweet southern twang I've loved so much. Odd days when I don't know this woman in her body, it's unsettling). HD was always my escape...*sigh* Sorry, need to shake it off.

Red, FR is Friendly Reminder. Modern day version of Teacups offer ;) Thanks for empathy, I needed that.

And parma, thanks for the belly laugh, really needed that too! ;D

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Moonshadow-so sorry to hear about your mom. I took care of both of my ill parents & it is heartbreaking & hard.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

flyleft, send me an email and I'll give you the whole ugly scoop - I don't want to totally derail this thread into something that I could easily see devolving into a political argument.

oakleyok says: "I think we all would like a pat on the back every now and then. [...] It hurts when we do a topic asking a simple question or just to show something off, and all we get is criticism."

So SAY what you want and don't want. Say something like "Hey, I finally finished such-and-such, and I wanted some pats on the back from my buddies because I worked really hard and my family just doesn't 'get it' how much this project meant to me. I'm not looking for critiques because I like it the way it is, I just want to share what I did." If you want people to critique something but you're feeling extra thin-skinned (not the best time to post, however), tell people to go easy on you. If you only want them to consider one thing, like a lamp, and not pay attention to the rug or the curtains, say so!

"I do get my feelings hurt when I do a topic and the replies have nothing to do with what I ask."

I'm sure you'll probably take this as "criticism", but you do need to become better acquainted with the concept of "topic drift". Side discussions do occur, especially in long threads, when person A finds something in a post by person B that s/he wants to address even though it isn't what the OP has asked, but it doesn't quite merit starting an entire new thread. And sometimes the whole thread does drift off into an unexpected direction and take on a life of its own... when that happens you either put on the big girl panties and go with it (because frequently when this happens it can be a LOT of fun) or you shrug and abandon the thread as a lost cause, but it's gotta sink in better that it is NOT about YOU personally when every single post in a thread you start isn't about you and your question from beginning to end. It's just the way forums work.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I am a 31-year-old female with 4 kids at home and I work at home. I love the concept of decorating but right now it is all theory to me as the only to describe my account is no mas dinero.

I don't really know how long I have been around, I lurked for a while and the eventually started posting sporadically. I don't post much as I am a thread-killer (a very good one too!). For a while I took a break when there was some cross-over with the hot topics board and I saw a side of some posters I wished I had not. I dealt with it and separated the political from the decor. I miss the seasoned people who use to post here as I could tell that I could learn a tremendous amount from them. I also love some of the posters who let their strong personalities show through, they make my day. I still read incessantly though, mainly because I cannot seem to focus on my work and spend more time on the conversations side. That can be fun stuff.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

I have been posting less for a couple of reasons. 1 - less time with a 6 month old, 2 - the changes to the boards Moonshadow mentions. Sometimes I read and just shake my head. I can't believe what gets people in a snit.

Mari - sorry to hear about your insurance troubles.

Moonshadow - so sorry to hear about your Mom. It is so hard to watch the decline. Try to take care of yourself in whatever little ways you can.

• natal
    14 years ago

Moonshadow, no justifiable reason for "a pounce" ... your words rang true.

So sorry the dynamics of caring for your mom are transitioning. It's tough watching the changes and trying to remind yourself she can't control what's happening. Try to hang on to the good memories through the turmoil of the present.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

I'm 52 and came to the GW web when I remodeled my kitchen about 8 years ago. I mostly lurk on this site because I don't have confidence in my decorating vision. Sometimes, though, someone asks about something that I CAN answer and then I feel like I am making a contribution!

I am very very very grateful for all the help I have gotten on this site. You all have saved me a ton of $$$ and made my house look much nicer.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

kitty, boop, natal; thanks so much for the kind words about my mom. It helps.

And boop, big wave "hey"! So good to see you! You had a baby?!?
    Cool. ;d

Mari, I missed your post way up somehow. Sorry to hear about the ins troubles. Encountering that as well, it is depressing. Hang in there! (BTW, someone over in paint wanted to see a white vanity painted dark. Of course I raved about your last-house bath makeover, but couldn't find a pic kicking around. Directed the OP here but don't think she posted.)

• ladypat1
    14 years ago

Female, 57 year old teacher as well. I started out on the daylily forum. Found this less than a year ago and have been addicted ever since. I lurk mostly, but have posted questions with pics twice and gotten really useful advice. It was a variety of opinions, but all good ones, and it spurs me on. I also found some good blogs to follow from this site, too. I am becoming a plate/tablescape addict! It is fun for me to see what advice certain people will give, and I have been able to see whose taste I like in decorating and whose I don't so much. When stuff hits the fan, I just quit reading that thread. I teach middle school, I have enough drama in my life! LOL

• User
    14 years ago

Well, this is the first time I've seen either part I or II of this post, so I guess that should tell you how often I'm here. I am 50, work full time, have a kid, 2 dogs, a mr. sandyponder and a house that's about 90% completed, so I don't have a lot of time to post or read, if I do, it's either at my desk at work (as I gut down my salad and yogurt) or at home on a weekend.

I like posting pics of my finished (or, more frequently, almost finished) projects, but have no real interest in asking questions, frankly, I know what I like and don't need input either from the web or IRL. WRT answering questions, if someone posts asking for a paint color I've used or considered, or has another question I can answer specifically, I do, but I stay away from answering the "Do you like this?" or "What should I do about...?" questions because I am not interested in being a cheerleader, and that's what many (but not all) posters seem to want. A lot of posters really seem to enjoy getting their knickers in a knot, and since that's the prevailing vibe here now, I can either live with it, change it or vote with my feet. I don't have the time to try to change it, and I don't want to totally go away, so I just deal with it by reading a lot more than I post.

sandyponder

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Hi there,
    I am the local Jaybird. I have been around the forums since 1999, paid to play for a while and then just lurked for a while. Registered after the new owners showed up, so I am listed as 2001.
    I read a lot but don't have too much to say. I spend some time on the Holiday forum...I'm a dishaholic.
    I have learned a LOT from these forums and I appreciate all of you sharing your talent and knowledge with me!
    My home is owned by Princess Posie Cat...she allows DH and I to live there :^)