SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webkat5

Foster fur-kids, part deux....

webkat5
18 years ago

Off subject, please watch my former foster puppy!!

Posted by webkat5 Z5b MO (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 11:02

I have done pet rescue for the past 8 years and have rescued, fostered and found homes for over 200 dogs, puppies, cats and kittens...

I had rescued a pregnant dog from a local kill shelter who does not have the facilities to care for the ones who will obviously be giving birth. I took her home and named her Valley Girl (she was found as a stray on Hidden Valley Road).

48 hours later, she had 6 wonderful puppies!! One did not make it, but the rest thrived and were so fun!!

They were Franco, Francesca, Fabio, Fiona and my personal favorite, Felicity:

{{gwi:332207}}

{{gwi:332208}}

{{gwi:332209}}

Well, little Felicity found a fabulous home and she has since become quite the little celebrity.

Her new name is Leaping Lunatic (Luna) and she performs Freestyle Frisbee Disc.

She has performed at the opening ceremony for the K.U. Jayhawks basketball team (pic on the website...the one with the cape), at the half time show for the K.C. Chiefs a couple of weeks ago.

And today she will be competing in the Freestyle Flying Disc portion on the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge!!!

If you can pull yourself away from your WS'ing for a bit...check her out!!

It is today at 11:30 am (CST) on NBC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaping Lunatic

Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Off subject, please watch my former foster puppy!!

* Posted by: shimla 5 Upstate, NY (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 11:16

Ah, I love happy ending animal stories. I'll turn on the tube! I felt so bad after Katrina seeing all of those stray animals that were left homeless. Many, many, many were locked inside houses with no food/water. I commend all of you that take care of animals in need.

The shelter here is a no-kill. They only put them down if they can't be placed due to behavior or extensive health problems. Do you ever get stuck with an animal?

* Posted by: webkat5 Z5b MO (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 11:32

The majority of our shelters are "high kill"...they have a certain ammount of time to be adopted (anywhere from 7 days to 2 weeks). We are desparately trying to change that....

Yes, I have actually been "stuck" with a couple...because of behavior issues that are not as apparent with me but when I have attempted to adopt them out, the behavior rears its "ugly" head.... I continue to hold out hope that the right person will come along who would be willing to work with it...

Oh, well...I never rescue anything without knowing that it may end up here....

Currently, I am only fostering one at a time because I am way too busy with other things....but by removing that one from the shelter, it gave another dog more time (or opened up a space) in the shelter....

* Posted by: zone_envy z3a_NW_Ont (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 13:40

Hi Kathy,

I just watched Luna do her routine. What a sweetheart! She was amazing - and so are you for doing your part in making sure she had a chance at a happy life. You should be very proud of her and of yourself.

Hmmmmm, strays, newbies....looks like you're a bit of a nurturer Kathy, lol.

Cindy

* Posted by: shimla 5 Upstate, NY (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 13:55

Did you see, did you see??? That's a feather in your cap even if she didn't take first place! They even mentioned that she was a rescue dog.

I was laughing at the Jack's in those cages before they let them loose. They were hopping up and down like kangaroos! Wasn't that a crap up?

Well, Lunatic sure found a loving home - you done good!

I rescued a stray cat from a parking lot (left with food and water bowl). Should have left her there. She was all nicey-nice for about a week. Not knowing, I gave her to my grandmother to 'watch until the shelter opened'(knowing she'd keep the cat). Well, that cat turned SO nasty. Everytime you so much as walked into the same room with it, it would start hissing. Not to mention she clawed everything in the house to oblivion. My grandmother, a little out of touch with things, thought it was her old cat that died LOL so we had to keep it. I couldn't find a home for her when gram passed on so she finally met her fate at the shelter but she had some good years with gram. I think I'd end up with a housefull if I did what you are doing - it was hard dropping off that nasty cat. (((Thankfully))) I didn't have the option of keeping it because it always was getting into scraps with my cats.

We still have another rescue cat. A neighbor moved in the dead of winter and left the cat behind. People are incredibly insensitive. He's the most wonderful cat we've ever owned. A great big Tom cat - he's huge and has the extra toes. Even cat haters love him when they come over - such a great personality! I wish we could clone him - he's getting old :(

* Posted by: webkat5 Z5b MO (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 14:21

I did, I taped it!!

I guess they showed the preliminary rounds on ESPN, but at least they showed the final round!!

Not too shabby for a novice youngster...wonder how far she will get next year!!

I will have to play it back and watch it again...all happened pretty fast!

I am a firm believer that rescues make the best pets....I think they know...

Thanks for watching!!

* Posted by: tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 16:22

On the Canadian Forum, you'll find Peatpod in the 'conversations' area. Being an angel - just like yourself - she rescues kittens and always keeps us posted on the adoptions and the new ones she has taken on.

We have always adopted dogs and cats in need and will continue to do so. Yes, some have 'issues', like Raven our Black Lab who chewed 3 Bass River Chairs and destroyed umpteen items in the house. But today I would not part with her for the world. She is my gardening buddy and so calm and loving! Totally different!

So bravo!! to you and keep up the great work! I envy and admire your patience and tenacity!

* Posted by: hollywog z7soIL (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 16:45

We live in a rural area and it seems like there is a huge number of people that are always 'dumping' their unwanted pets off by our house. They always find me--they can probably sense that I am a sucker--and I am forever putting notes in the daily announcements at work (I am a teacher) that I have this or that who needs a good home. Last year, someone dropped off the sweetest little black lab puppy. She was still wearing a collar and became fast friends with my one-year-old rottweiler, Nikolai. She was loving, gentle, and already housebroken. Because of the collar, I thought for a while that she belonged to someone on the road here. Then we noticed that she was getting bone-skinny, so we started feeding her. She was STARVED. We brought her in, and I soon discovered the reason she had been dumped---she chewed EVERYTHING to shreds! Including all of my gardens! I found her a wonderful home with an elderly teachers aide at work, and she promptly went to work chewing through the cords of the lights and pumps on their inground pool. But despite it all the love her and she has a great home now! There have been numerous cats, most of them pregnant, and even a GOAT! People can be so cruel--and I can't stand to take them to our shelter where they might be put down. We currently have 6 cats, and our Rottie Nik. That should change soon, as more pregnant cats will start hanging out as they are dumped off at the corner by heartless owners. I wish people wouldn't get pets if they are not willing to make a life-long commitment to them. Shimla--at least that nasty old cat had its life extended by a few years! I don't know if I would have taken that one in!! Good thing grandma thought it was the cat she already loved.

* Posted by: knottyceltic S/W Ontario 6a (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 17:28

I dunno if you guys are just being kind or if you are just using kind words to describe people that dump animals... it absolutely infuriates me. A few years back we had a rash of "individuals" (that's ME being PG13) dragging dogs from the bumpers of cars. It was enough to make me sick to my stomach. I swear if I ever caught someone dumping an animal or G*D forbid, dragging one behind the car to punish it for something I'd likely go berserk and crash my car into theirs to make them stop.

But on a MUCH brighter note... WAY TO GO LUNA! and kudos to all you folks who take in animals in need. :o) Sometimes I wonder WHO are the REAL animals :o/ when there's so much horrible things that happen.

Barb

southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

* Posted by: shimla 5 Upstate, NY (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 17:40

Oh, Barb - I'm going to have nightmares now :( Really? How could someone do such a thing? I just got it out of my head that story about that man that got dragged behind a car by some discriminatory "individuals" - remember that? Ah, makes me shutter. You're going to have to stay up with me tonight :)

Ever see on Animal Planet how the Human Society goes in and rescues animals? Cruelty to animals is rampant, hard to believe. I end up changing stations because it's too hard to see.

* Posted by: bakemom z6 Ohio (My Page) on Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 18:47

Let's throw this one over on conversations and have a great thread. I donate to Cat Welfare here in Columbus each month.

Why don't you re=post?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services