SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbgreen52

Brand new variable speed furnace only running at one speed

mbgreen52
8 years ago

So, I spent $600 more and decided to go with the ECM variable speed furnace. It is a Rheem Prestige 80 two stage (photo below) paired with a Honeywell RTH6350 thermostat with fan set to Auto. Problem is, it doesn't do a soft start or soft stop, rather it immediately comes on full speed and then immediately turns off when the thermostat temperature is reached. I certainly notice when the second stage kicks in, but as far a variable speed, this blower is acting NO differently than the single speed furnace this replaced. The furnace housing says variable speed on it, and the motor itself says ECM 3.0 on it, so I have no doubt a there's a variable speed motor in there. Do I need a special thermostat to achieve more gradual ramp up/down speed or is the control board inside the furnace responsible for that? If it's the control board's job, might there be a dip switch setting to adjust this? I did a lot of research before deciding to pay $600 more for the variable speed motor, but I am not convinced I am receiving all the benefits it has to offer. Sure, subtle speed differences when filter is clogged will be extremely difficult to notice, but I assume there should be little more noticable variation in speed when it cycles on/off throughout the day than what I am experiencing. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this or potential ideas on why it's not performing a soft start/stop would be much appreciated!!

Comments (10)