SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poolguynj

Variable Speed vs 2 speed discussion

poolguynj
15 years ago

Seems like a great topic to be discussed. I hope we can educate all who read it and help people make more informed choices.

Two speed pool pumps have been around for many years. They added some flexibility. I have questions as to whether they provided savings and how they did it.

Now variable speed pumps are on the market with claims of significant energy savings and efficiency improvements.

I am pretty familiar with what some variable speed pumps can do. I can't state wattage used, amps drawn at speeds X,Y, or Z.

Pentair/Sta-Rite's variable speed offerings use 3 phase power. This seems to lend a significantly more flexible amount of control, energy savings potential and perceived improved efficiency.

Hayward has begun offering an 8 speed controller tied to it's Tri-Star series of pumps. I don't know if they have changed the motor. I believe it is still a single phase motor. If anyone can comment more, it will be helpful.

Jandy has been reported to be set to begin shipping it's ePump. There was next to nothing about it at the Atlantic City NESPA trade show this past January. If there is any more information about it that doesn't require a non-disclosure be signed, please share it.

If there are others out there, let us know what you know.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN! ;-)

Scott

Comments (17)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler