SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Variable Speed / TWo stage...come on!

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

I have read many forums on this and I am so lost I think I am going to postpone my upgrade. You read about all these new techie developemnts but then read they are only good for a certain parts of the country, or if you have the right ducts etc. etc.

I won't $$$$$ more for a more efficient system that I can not take advantage of in part of the country or in my home.

I have had 3 estimates for replacement of a 20 year old 2.5 tone trane system...still working. The only issue we have is the second floor is waaay to hot so far this spring. (only been in the home since Nov) They all claim that should not be an issue on the new system.

They all have 3 options. The first is generally a 13 SEER Trane unit, no fancy new type refrigerant or variable speed blower. The mid range is an SEER 14 with a variable speed blower. The high is a similar 15, variable speed maybe 2 stage---not even sure what that is.

I live in Eastern PA. They all reccomend buying the most efficient I can afford. No one has satisfactorily answered my questions on whether or not these new features are worth buying where I live and with my exusting duct work.

Will the variable speed make me more comfortable and save me money? Remember, my ducts are 20 years old---they are not being newly installed and I already have an issue upstairs. I would think the variable speed, which they say allows the air to blow out slower (sound more comfortable in the winter) won't help make our upstairs any cooler now...

Your thoughts?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals