SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farischesnutt

Variable Speed Furnace / AC - any "real life" examples of savings?

William Chesnutt
8 years ago

The 4 ton Trane XL1400 used to cool our upstairs went out a week and half ago. It's 15 years old and has a leak. Rather than repair, we have decided to replace. I have received 4 quotes for various systems from the 4 most reputable dealers in the Charlotte, NC area (according to Angie's List). Two of them were Trane dealers, and the other two were Carrier and Lennox. I had read horror stories about estimators spending 15 minutes, eyeballing the load factor, over-sizing, etc, but all four of the ones I used spent at least 1.5 hour at the house calculating load factors, calculating Manual D's and J's (whatever those are), and doing a little more than just a rudimentary inspection of my duct-work, windows, attic condition, crawl space, etc. At the end of the day, I was impressed with all of them, and I don't think I could go wrong with any of them. They didn't try to up-sell me, and the quotes they provided were for exactly what I asked and in sufficient detail that I can do some math.

So from all that, here's what I know about my current energy efficiency situation:

• Duct-work is in good shape, if not perfectly designed: insulated, some leaks identified around the plenum
  • Crawl space is not sealed
  • Windows are double paned with argon gas
  • R22 insulation in good shape, attic doors insulated
  • The house, built in 1987, isn't as tight as new construction, but the previous owner (we moved in a year ago) tore it down to the studs in 2004 and rebuilt with efficiency in mind, so I'd say I'm above average from an energy efficiency standpoint.
  • I'm not moving again...ever (unless my wife makes me), so I have time to recoup investment costs
  • My average electric and gas bill each month is $260 for this 3300 sf house, which includes the most brutal winter to hit the South in years as well as a couple of strings of 20 days straight above 90 degrees in the summer

I have quotes from all dealers on a variable speed furnace as well as variable speed AC unit. Generally, the cost is about $5k installed more than a regular 16 Seer single stage system with a non-modulating 95 AFUE furnace, and about $10k more than just replacing the broken Trane 1400 with a newer model 14 Seer and keeping the still working XE90 furnace. We've been plenty comfortable with the XL1400 13 Seer AC unit, and we've been comfortable in the winter with the Trane natural gas furnace, so all the humidity control, removal of hot/cold areas achieved with vs, and system quietness doesn't interest me so much. Energy savings DO interest me, though.

I have dug 35 pages deep into a google search over the last few days trying to find any homeowner (not dealer) testimonials that upgraded from a single stage system to variable speed and saw energy savings. I find anecdotal comments about the comfort, but I haven't found anyone that did a before / after analysis on their utility bills. My wife's an accountant, so I need numbers to justify bumping up to the variable system. I asked all the dealers if they had any clients from more than a year ago that I could contact, but no luck yet (understandable - not sure I'd want my contractor handing out my name and number either).

The only thing I'm sure about is that if I simply replace what I've got with a new version of the same thing, I get very little energy savings. So the question becomes, "Can upgrading to the vs system eventually reap enough savings to cover the add'l $5k investment?"

From their sites, Trane, Lennox, and Carrier all have claims of 40-60% savings vs a 10 Seer single stage, but I'm comparing vs a 16 Seer single stage (the next option down).

So how about it? Any homeowner's out there take the leap to VS in the last few years? If so, what % change have you seen in your energy bill? I'm not looking for exact...as each of the dealers told me, I understand that there are many variables that come into play in determining what kind of gain (if any) you end up with. I just need a ballpark I can plug in a spreadsheet I can show my wife (did I mention she's an accountant?).

Thanks up front for any advice.

Comments (14)