SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leandrin

Food safety

Jo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I recently participated in a very interesting discussion about food safety on a different topic - here.

I must admit I never knew the food safety guidelines so after reading some very interesting info on the links posted in that topic, I felt the need to research further.

As it happens, I was very lucky to receive a copy of the Modernist Cuisine e-book. For those of you that do not know what it is, you can find more info here. They have some very extensive chapters on Food Safety, FDA and FSIS regulations and their basis.

I know most of you grew up with the "danger zone" concept. It turns out that is not really accurate, food safety is a lot more complicated than that.

There is quite a lot to write on this topic, and if anybody is interested, I could make a resume of what I've read.

But in the mean time, I'm very, very curious: what do you do in regards to food safety when it comes to foods that will be eaten raw?

Salmonella and E-coli, and a number of other pathogens are as present on plants as they are on meat. And while we rarely eat raw meat (heat kills almost all pathogens), we almost always eat salads raw.

So what do you do to make these safe? Is washing enough? Do you use some kind of disinfectant?

Comments (27)