SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
5pacey

Gaggenau vs Miele wall oven+warm drawer+combi oven

Chris
8 years ago

Hi, I am replacing my old and tired double GE ovens w/either Gaggenau set or Miele... down to those two for several reasons.

1. Already have Miele dishwasher (La Perla)

2. Already have Gaggenau Cooktop (gas) & wall hood (200 series, 36", forget models)

3. Just purchased (not yet received) Gaggenau 36" bottom freezer integrated fridge (RB492)

I know Gagg ovens vs Miele are two different animals and at list Gagg is about 2x the already overpriced Miele ;) ... Went to showrooms and touched and looked and played with both Gagg and Miele.

Gagg has the feel of a Rolls Royce but feature wise its a lot skimpier (no pre-set recipies like in Miele's MasterChef), company seems to be less accessible - called several times and always waiting for 15 before anyone picks pup @ Gagg and then people are generally clueless even if they do try to be genuinely helpful. Dealers in my area (DC metro) are very few and far between for Gagg, and Miele seems to be almost everywhere, including their own corporate store which is full service. Gaggenau is almost unknown to most people here, even though in EU and outside of US it is the thing everyone wants because its a well... the Rolls Royce. Its just out of most people's price range.

Compared to Gagg, the Miele oven door for example feels like chevy ;) ... which it sort of is in Europe by comparison... that said... Miele while more conventional seem to be a lot more "livable" or useful... although I am not 100% sure because I never lived with an oven that has an equivalent of the MasterChef menus... Also, cordless temp probe, relative ubiquity of their services and general presence. The combo and steam ovens from Miele also are a bit more functional than Gagg... the combo (microwave+convection) in particular for example, has all the same heating elements as regular full size oven (bottom, top, fan) in Miele, and Gagg only has the top (broiler) and convection (fan) heater. Also I keep going back to the MasterChef - it sounds particularly attractive in the combo oven.

The thing is ... deals can be had on Gaggenau much better than Miele ... essentialy I can get the set of Gagg main oven+warmin drawer+combi/microwave 30" for $1800 more than the same set from Miele.

Reliability wise they are both I think on par... meaning very good.

Been trying to picture myself w/one set and the other for the past two weeks and just having a very hard time deciding. They are very different sets... Miele seems a bit more livable/usefull if more pedestrian and overpriced. Gagg has the cache edge, I'd say looks a lot cooler, feels like a work of art chiseled from a precious metal to the touch if slightly less functional (no Master Chef), and also very overpriced... ;) but slightly less overpriced to the touch since I can get a deal on them.

Appreciare opinions, advice and experiences with both... especially if anyone lives/d w/MasterChef - is it useful really or just useless bling for example.

Comments (23)