SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osakans

Gaggenau vs. Thermador Double Wall Oven

osakans
13 years ago

We're in the process of locking down appliances for a new kitchen in a house under construction. We're struggling with the choice of double wall oven. We're now down between the Thermador PODC302 (Professional series) and the Gaggenau BX280/281.

We've already decided to install a GE Monogram Advantium 240V instead of a microwave and a Thermador induction cooktop.

Because of the Thermador promotion currently running, if we go with the Thermador double wall oven, we will get the dishwasher free which is about a $1000 savings in favor of going with Thermador. Once you account for the promotional savings, the Thermador is a little bit more than half the price of the Gaggenau.

From reading posts on this board, it's clear to me that the Gaggenau is a better oven in terms of evenness of temperature throughout the cavity, stability and accuracy. The side swing doors on the Gaggenau are also nice. However, it's very hard to overcome the significant cost differential.

My question is whether the Thermador is overall an oven that will be disappointing to have in a high-end kitchen.

Neither my wife nor I are avid bakers nor do I think it's likely that I will become one in the next several years. However, I would also like to know that I won't need to go back to the oven time after time to check to see if my items are done because the oven is over or under temp and can't be calibrated to be so. I also am a little concerned about the fan noise that people have been reporting in terms of the Thermador.

Bottom line is that we're leaning toward the Thermador but want to make sure that doing so isn't a mistake. The Gaggenau would fit in our budget, but we obviously don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)