SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

I hate Windows 10.

Alisande
8 years ago

I don't use the word hate frequently, but it applies in this case. Windows 10 has slowed everything down. At first it was just noticeable as a tiny delay in Photoshop actions, but now it's a longer delay in just about everything I open, save, etc.

I wish I had reacted much sooner, because apparently Microsoft would have let me uninstall W10 within 30 days--but not more than that. At this point I'm way past 30 days.

Last night I left Photoshop open with six photos waiting to be edited. This morning I was greeted by an announcement that W10 has installed new features (oh, joy), and a wildly colorful (read ugly) picture covered one of my screens. The photos waiting in Photoshop have disappeared. I don't know if W10's stupid Photo App (which I've been trying to avoid--I do NOT want it touching my photos) snatched them, or if they're gone forever.

There must be a way to get rid of this infuriating OS without messing up things even more. Time to start reading up on it.

Comments (47)

• lindaohnowga
    8 years ago

I don't "ever" want Windows 10. I'm sure a computer tech could get rid of it for you and put back whatever you had before. I have Windows 7 and intend to stick with it. The danged Microsoft box pops up almost daily wanting me install Windows 10. NO WAY!

• dbarron
    8 years ago

I know I must be the oddity, but I like Win10...and I'm an IT professional. It seems a step forward to me.

• Related Discussions

I'm SICK!!! I hate my windows.

Q

Comments (33)
    Deee: YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! In addition to being boorish and bizarre, it is lacking in compassion, inconsiderate, distasteful, seems mean spirited, crass, unsolicited, politically incorrect, possibly unwarranted, and definitely not what a professional counselor would say. But the next time Ibcbuilding finds herself obsessing about some little cosmetic problem in her life, she will remember my post and my forum handle when she realizes she really has a lot more good things in her life that warrant more attention and have more value than the size of windows and their trim. Dee; you and those like you who wish to appear more considerate will just be part of the "There, there, you poor thing" masses to which I will never belong. Ibcbuilding may hate me and herself for remembering my vile post and forum name so long, but if it helps her refocus on the good things in her life, I can stand being hated for that. Dixiedoodle: Laughing is always good and the fact that your husband got a bang out of it also makes it even better. I'm glad to hear you have kept your hair long and I hope your husband appreciates the hard work it takes to keep it looking nice. I don't know about you, but I wish I could use hair spray to keep it out of my eyes and mouth, but you know how that ruins the wonderful bounce when you toss your head around. Take care and enjoy life! Fairyprincess
    ...See More

I officially hate Windows 8.

Q

Comments (9)
    Windows 8 should automatically reset your screen resolution if you change the monitor. If you are unsure about the resolution for your monitor model do a search for the make and model you have. If however you have vision problems then try the Microsoft magnifier. The link takes you to a 90 second video howto to use the magnifier. Edit: Wow, something else I learned watching that video. The narrator said to start typing 'magnifier' from the Start screen, well I tried typing a name of a person I knew was in a few files on my computer and it found every instance. A pretty slick tool methinks :~) This post was edited by owbist on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 9:15
    ...See More

I Hate Windows 8...

Q

Comments (21)
    When you install a new version of Windows, it will run for a given number of days before quiting. The new copy has to be registered with MicroSoft and activated. After this, updates will be sent during the support period for the product and it will run. Your porblem: You need the activation key. That should have been supplied by the seller. It could be on a sticker on the computer, or a sticker on the recovery disk. Bang the seller over the head and ask for the key or tell you where it is. If they fein no knowledge, return the unit, ask for your money back, and log a complaint with the corporate office about that store.
    ...See More

Win 10 and trying to get photos off the IPhone??

Q

Comments (8)
    Kidzu, of course I tried that. What I get are a thousand little tiny boxes. When I click on them I get one photo that is so small I can't tell if its worth keeping. It won't enlarge. Plus, each photo is in a separate box so it requires clicking on these tiny boxes one at a time. I have over 1000 photos on my phone and many I do not want on my computer. I tried following the directions from Google. I can't tell what is what. When I plug in the phone a screen comes up full of photos with check marks. I can't tell if I'm looking at the phone or explorer. The only heading on the page is 'photo collection.' Over 1200 photos all containing check marks. If I click 'clear' and try to individually check the photos I want, it still imports all the photos. It states that the photos will be saved in a folder under my name. I'll be dammed if I can find them. I've had it with Win 10. This is ridiculous. Before I could copy what I wanted into the folders I wanted. Now I can't tell if I'm looking at the pics on the phone or on Windows. There is no information. I deleted multiple copies of the same photos and they keep reappearing. The system sucks. I simply want to copy manually what I want to copy and save in the folders I choose. Stupid, dumb and typical Microsoft! Thanks, no reply is necessary. Jane
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

That little windows 10 icon has parked itself permanently at the top of my screen. I guess on what is the taskbar. I did nothing to put it there and do not know how to get rid of it. Once in the middle of what I was doing It appeared that Windows 10 was trying to down load or do something that I had not requested. I quickly unplugged my computer as I wanted to interrupt it fast. I reset the computer to a few days before. So far that has taken care of it. I am very computer challenged.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My son's an IT professional too, and I consulted with him before I downloaded it. He said I might as well get it. Now he says I shouldn't have been in such a hurry. :-)

I did it in August, and have been dealing with the mess it made of my photo files ever since. I figured change is hard, and once I got the pictures back to normal I'd be used to the new OS. But they're still not normal, and I'm still not happy with any of it. The only thing I like about Win10 is the font it uses for its messages.

• dbarron
    8 years ago

I was an early adopter...when it first became available and I really haven't had any problems. I'm an online gamer, so I ask the most of my pc, but I'm also quite capable of dealing with any issues, so maybe I just didn't even notice things that others find so dreadful.

• lily316
    8 years ago

So far we like Windows 10 although it took a Windows person to help us since it wouldn't automatically download for us.

• User
    8 years ago

After experiencing Windows 10 on my laptop I made sure when I had a new desktop computer built that it had Windows 7.

• mawheel
    8 years ago

The comments about Windows 10 scare me! When it was first offered, I downloaded it, but it was so different that my husband, who is very unsavvy about computers, said he would stop using it. I quickly had our daughter remove it, and we still had Windows 7. O.K. All was/is fine--so far, but two weeks ago, we got an email from Outlook saying that eventually it would not continue to support Windows 7. I had convinced DH that we needed to 'bite the bullet and get Windows 10. ( If I had done it, last night, as I intended to, I wouldn't be as unsure as I am, now.)

O.K., what do I do now? Stick with Windows 7 as long as possible, or take a chance on Windows 10? Any advice will be appreciated.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

I don't have advice for you, I have Office 2010 w/Outlook in this Win 7 computer and haven't received that notice.

The notice I've received is from Intuit, telling me my QuickBooks Pro 2014 is not fully compatible with Win 10. I will need the QuickBooks a few more months at least, I'm running invoicing, expenses, payroll for two households through it. I had thought DH might retire now, he tells me he's still having fun with his work and would like to go a few more months. I'm leaving that up to him. And have not upgraded to Win 10.

I hadn't planned to upgrade to another version QuickBooks if I didn't have to at another $200, I think I have $1000 in it now with the way payroll is just supported 3 years at a time. This version should have seen me through Dec 31 2016 and been my last.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    8 years ago

I am going to keep 7 as long as I can. When they make me get 10, I am going to buy an Apple!

• bengardening
    8 years ago

One day I decided to get win10. It was horrible for me. I am not computer savvy and don't do photos or books or anything else on it. I don't even remember what I didn't like about it, but I knew right away it wasn't for me. I removed it right away. I have PC desktop and I like it the way it is. I thought I was the only one who felt this way about it. I feel sorry for you.

• marylmi
    8 years ago

You can stop programs that you don't need from starting when computer starts up. That may help. I like win. 10 and just recently put it on my notebook too. No problems ...yet!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I blocked the windows update that tries to get you to install Windows 10 on all my windows computers. I have windows 7 and will stick with it till the time it's not supported and that's a ways off. If you do update to 10 it will save a file to your computer that is your previous settings and os like a clone, you can copy that file to another hard drive or flash drive so you have it available. After 30 days that Microsoft gives you to revert back to the original os you had that file is deleted from your computer.

So had you copied that file Alisande you could just revert back to it.

Anyone going ahead should definitely consider doing this! That way you have a backup should you need it past the 30 days.

Using a good imaging software and making full images and clone of the drive is a good idea too. Some good software for this is free ask if you need links.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

This article has some good question and answers.

Windows 10 questions and answers

• phyllis__mn
    8 years ago

DD was just here and said she had computer crash, and she is quite savvy in regard to computers. Luckily, she had a lot of tax info on a thumb drive so that is saved. I'm just clinging to my Windows 7 as long as I can.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

When I bought this laptop it had Windows 8 on it. How does Windows 10 compare to 8? (I hate 8, by the way.)

• mare_wbpa
    8 years ago

If you are having computer problems I highly recommend going to Lanzdown.com. It's a computer forum that will walk you thru computer fixes caused by many issues, I have gone there on several occasions and found nothing but friendliness and help. No one disparages if you lack computer know how. They seem able to communicate on many levels of expertise or lack there of. Go to Lanzdown, register, then go to
    Computer Problems, Questions and Solutions!, type in your issue then check back for a response. Ravencajun sent me there and I bless her every time I get a problem solved.

• debo_2006
    8 years ago

Raven, what are the free imaging software?

I'm currently using Win 8.1 and like it. I've put off installing Win 10 on 2 computers because my laptop is used for work (home business) with some older but still working programs such as Quickbooks 2012 Pro, Microsoft Office 2010, and PhotoShop CS3. If Win 10 isn't compatible with these important and expensive programs, I can't afford to shell out another $600-$900 for these 3 programs. I prefer not to use the free Office for some of the things I do, and graphic design work, downgrading from the full PhotoShop isn't an option. As for QB, I don't even know if there is any kind of substitute for that - UGGGG. This just sucks!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

These listed here are all reputable free software.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-cloning-software.htm

Another good option.

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/index.htm

I don't have any version of 8 but I would probably update to 10 if I did unless I had other software that was not compatible. I have heard 10 is better than 8.

I have been a member of the LandzDown crew for several years and they are definitely a wonderful group of very talented smart and nice folks. Always there to help anyone in need. Feel free to say I sent you or tell me if you need assistance going there.

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

This summer, I got a new lap top computer. It was specially priced and included Windows 8.1. I hate it too. I did do the free update to Windows 10 and that did work a little faster and smoother, but the human interface is the same. Everything is hidden and it is unproductive. I do not see any improvement in the new interface whatsoever and it is not as productive as the older interface. I was very happy with XP service pack 3 and Windows 7.

I am about to dump Win 10 out of the laptop and install Win 7. I haven't done that yet because around here, Win 7 is no longer available and it is a mystery as to how long MicroSoft and application developers will continue to support Win 7. Also, I have not yet become familiar enough with Win 10 do any complicated tasks like having multiple applications open at the same time and switching between them. However, so far, my opinion of Win 10 interface is it stinks.

• dbarron
    8 years ago

Windows 7 EOL was scheduled to be Jan 13, 2015, with service pack 1 installed extended EOL is Jan 4, 2020. Chances of finding new retail copies are probably pretty slim.

• mare_wbpa
    8 years ago

Raven, I was at LD for help a couple of months ago. I have Windows 8.1, so while I was there I asked if I should upgrade to 10. This was the paraphrased answer "You'll find it different from Windows 8.1 but it won't be much of a change for you compared to someone upgrading from Windows 7." I chose not to bother with the upgrade.

• lily316
    8 years ago

It seems Microsoft gets it right just occasionally. I loved 7, hated Vista, was ambivalent about 8.1, and kinda like 10.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm not a huge fan either, but decided to keep it. I can't find a lot of programs and do not like the apps screen. It took me forever to find my printer so that I could check the preferences and ink levels a few days ago. My Photoshop program now looks different. How did that happen? It's an Adobe program, not Windows. Their mail is HORRID! They're getting rid of Windows Live Mail, which I love love love. I've complained several times to Microsoft, as have thousands of other people, yet they don't care on iota. Oh well.....

• Alisande
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just saw your comment, Debby. Since I began this thread on December 30, I have not grown fonder, or even grown used to, Windows 10. If anything, I dislike it even more.

I've learned not to leave photos in Photoshop overnight (with my computer asleep) because Windows 10 is likely to arbitrarily shut the program down, photos and all.

The work I do involving the federal court system requires that I use Explorer 11 set to certain parameters. Windows 10 likes to change the parameters, seemingly at random, requiring me to re-set them.

One of my most frequently used photo folders has been divided in two (why??), both having the same name (why????).

And so on.

Windows 10 is intrusive. Someone told me it was modeled after Apple products, which started the practice of having the computer do things on its own under the guise of user-friendliness.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Oh, crap! Alisande, thank you for the warning! I HATE that! I'd seen a demo of 10 and thought it didn't look as bad as 7, but I'm not putting up with any kind of computer that does things its own way just because it feels like it. My new one may have to be Linux.

I just found this list of disannoying tips for 10. It includes how to set a system restore point. A lot of the most annoying things still seem changeable, like the idiocy of not showing extensions (which means you have to put the extension in the file name, if you have more than one version (say a working file and a JPEG), so what's the point? I wonder if there's a way to keep it from mucking with your IE settings?

Here's a way to prevent auto-updates (stupid that it's not just an option...).

QUESTION: Can you resize all the windows in 10? That's the thing I hate most about 7, that many things can't be resized so that they can scroll if they're bigger than the screen with magnification.

• kathleen44
    8 years ago

With my old computer I had windows seven and it was nice. But got a new computer before christmas and it came with windows 10 and had no choice but to get used it and its been frustrating. I also got wireless mouse and keyboard and mouse struggled with it going crazy at times or just plain disappearing.

Plus book marks and of course you lose cookies and now I can't get into sites I loved to go and read and look at as I can't remember my gmail address and that is that.

It won't accept firefox which I used as old computer windows explorer wouldn't go for me.

So, there are pluses and cons but like anything at one time windows 7 was new to us too.

Soon there will be nothing but windows 10/11 on everything and can't do thing to too old.

kathy

• Alisande
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kathy, I can use Firefox with Windows 10. I hardly ever use it because I prefer Chrome, but I open it occasionally.

The work I'm doing on Explorer 11 is sometimes interrupted by a message from Microsoft suggesting that I try Edge instead. Sometimes I wish they could hear my response.

• lily316
    8 years ago

After a few months I'm liking Windows 10. We used to have Firefox, but now have Chrome and like it better. I like my "lady' who answers all sorts of questions from me. She's like Suri, but her name is Cortana. .

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

I think the Win 10 upgrade is a good learning experience for people who don't give enough thought to understanding that sometimes things that are free aren't necessarily worth having or doing. And that things that are working fine should sometimes be left alone.

Personally, I'm not doing any upgrades. Why? Because my stuff, including software, some old peripherals and newer PCs (6, 3 on W7 and 3 on W8) works fine, works together fine, and there's no advantage to changing anything about them.

Very early on in my career when I had some IT system management responsibility, I learned the "don't fix what isn't broke" theory. The purpose of tools is for them to work so that they can be used. When they work, they don't need further attention and shouldn't be messed with.

I'll be happy to migrate one by one to Win 10 as I buy new PCs. I'm sure it will be fine. I see no reason to spend any time at all to make a change with what I have that adds no value for me and could cause problems.

To each his/her own.

• User
    8 years ago

When you downloaded Windows 10, did your computer tell you it was ready for download, or did you download it from a website? I waited patiently for Microsoft to download it for me. I've only had it since just before Christmas. It took months for them to make sure it was compatible with my computer. I don't have any problems with it, but preferred the larger app icons (what are they called????) of the older version better. I saw a video where you can make them bigger, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Now they only take up a little corner and I have to scroll down to see them and half the time, I lose the scroll bar because I go too fast. lol

• Alisande
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Plllog, I haven't had experience with resizing, but if you tell me how to do it I'll attempt it to see if it works with Windows 10.

Debby, I was getting a daily offer (on my screen) from Microsoft to do a free upgrade (haha) to Windows 10, and I finally went for it. As I recall, I didn't have to do very much.

Before Win10, everything I did on my computer happened instantly--anything from editing photos to going to a website. Now there's often (usually) a slight delay before anything happens. If I add a file to an email, it takes a second before showing up on the email. If I adjust an image in Photoshop, there's always a fraction of a second delay--not enough to make me late for an appointment, but enough to be an irritant. I guess I've been spoiled, but I think instantaneous results are what we should expect from our computers.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

I have Win10. I like it........pictures upload from the camera instantly. I don't use it a lot because AdBlockPlus isn't compatible with it yet. When I first started using 10, I was seeing ads all over the place and it was horrible.

I still use Opera and Chrome because of the Adblock.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Alisande, I think your question is my answer. Windows used to have frames you could drag to make the screen area bigger or smaller. It would have scroll bars if the whole image didn't fit. 7 doesn't have those. Makes it impossible to use when adjusted for sight issues. 10 is sounding a lot like what I hate about Mac. Sigh.

Best of luck with getting it to behave for you. Google "Windows 10 Slow" and you'll find a lot of articles about how to tweak it to make it run faster.

Alisande thanked plllog
  • mboston_gw
    8 years ago

I didn't read everyone's comments but there seems to be extra steps for everything compared to Windows 7 that I had previously. Saving photos, getting into other programs all takes another step that wasn't necessary before. Not liking it either.

• dee_can1
    8 years ago

I like Windows 10, but I didn't find Windows 8, 8.1 bad either. I had a Vista computer prior to that, and really liked it, too - unlike so many people that dislike it. I was worried about not having the same great Windows mail program that I had with Vista; but since using Microsoft Office Outlook Mail on another computer and adapting to it, I installed MS Office on the W10 computer with Outlook Mail again, which I really, really like. So I recommend it if anyone is worried about finding another email program.

I'm not overly crazy about the games in W8.1 or W10, though. I miss the old ms games in XP and Vista, so that's a negative for me.

Alisande thanked dee_can1
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I still run Windows Vista!

Sue

Alisande thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • jesshs
    8 years ago

When I bought my laptop/tablet it came with Windows 8, upgraded later automatically to 8.1. I managed to work with 8/8.1 but never happily. I much prefer Windows 10 which I upgraded to last week. It is much more like 7, with a start button and easier to get to programs without having to go and find them on the "apps" screen. So far, I haven't noticed any difference in speed of anything and much prefer how 10 deals with pictures than 8 did. I like photo viewer much better than paint as the default browser for pictures.

Alisande thanked jesshs
  • Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Windows 8 or 8.1 can have a start button and the default desktop appearance and behavior most are familiar with (as with Win7 and predecessors) by downloading a very lightweight program called Classic Shell.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

I administer a Windows 7 environment as well. I don't harbor any ill will towards Microsoft though. I prefer Windows 10 to Windows 8, it just seems more 'PC' like'.

• lily316
    8 years ago

Liked 7, hated Vista, ambivalent to 8.1, and like Windows 10.

• maggie200
    8 years ago

I am so sick of Microsoft period. Those who posted that they like windows 10 and are IT professionals so they would know don't help those who are not. Why should I have to know what you know in order to fix my computer? I pay dearly for hardware and software and then have to face known problems that IT and Microsoft confirm but don't fix. I don't want Win10. I want a stable product that I can keep for a couple of years. If I hadn't bought a new computer then I would be on 7. Sorry Alisande. I support you and your trek ahead. I hope this is your last Win version for a long time.

Alisande thanked maggie200
  • bob_cville
    8 years ago

Many companies do like gregbradley describes and continue to run Windows 7 across their entire company so that the IT staff only have to install and maintain one version of the operating system. Any newly purchased computers are set up with the desired, stable older version. Then when it makes sense for that company and the risks are well known, they may decide to move to a newer version. Many companies decided to completely avoid Windows 8 since the perceived risks outweighed the perceived benefits. Many companies have decided to continue this approach with Windows 10, at least until the risks and benefits are more clearly known.

According to an article I read recently Microsoft has just decided, unilaterally, that henceforth any newly purchased computers (with a processor newer than some arbitrary date) will only be sold with Windows 10. For the companies that prefer to upgrade when it makes sense, Microsoft is essentially saying "F--- you"

I may be misremembering or mischaracterizing that article, I'll try to find it again and post a link here.

Alisande thanked bob_cville
  • bob_cville
    8 years ago

I don't think either of these are the article I originally read but they cover the same material. The first one gives a more Microsoft-friendly, following-the-party-line description of the announcement.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2498097,00.asp

the second article essentially states that Microsoft want Windows 10 to succeed, but have had trouble even giving it away, so their taking away any other choice.
    http://thevarguy.com/small-business-smb-software-technology-solutions/want-new-pc-windows-10-will-be-your-only-option-mic

• plllog
    8 years ago

Thanks. I'll stick with XP. :)

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

The announcement (and these articles) describe a Win10-only compatibility for the next round of Intel (and other) chips that aren't out yet. Older (and compatible) CPU versions remain available for years as new versions are released.

My firm (former employer as I'm now retired) has tens of thousands of PC users and is always at least one version and sometimes two software releases behind what's current. I remember once being three behind for one package. That's for not only Windows but also major apps like MS Office. Our hardware suppliers have permission to continue to load these old versions on new machines. Why? As I explained above, most necessary change-over efforts weren't worth doing, having a Return On Investment of Zero. True security problems got patched in other ways.

It had nothing to do with any perception or possibility of risk with new versions, that's really N/A. I have no doubt that until my firm migrates to Win10, they'll continue to get new PCs with CPUs that are fully compatible with Win 7.