SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_guisinger

Trouble with my Aerogarden tomatoes

Dan Guisinger
8 years ago

For the first 4 weeks my aerogarden tomatoes really took off. This past week I've noticed the leaves are curling downwards at the tips feel brittle and some brown around the edges.
I have two mega cherry tomato plants and one bell pepper plant in this machine, and the bell pepper shows no signs of distress... its leaves are as lush and flexible as they could be.
Wondering if it was a water problem, I tested ph 3 days ago with my hot tub test strips and found the ph to be off the charts above 8.0 (where as tomatoes want 5.0-6.0). Not having any hydroponics ph down, i looked up the spa ph down chemicals and found that while its not recommended for hydroponics, for a quick fix people thought it was okay. It has lowered the ph down to around 6 (my spa test strips don't go any lower than that), the bell peppers are still doing fine, but the two tomatoes aren't showing a sign of improvement 2 days later.
Since I've been using tap water I'm switching to an RO system this week to provide water. I've also got a ph meter and a phosphoric acid ph-down chemical on its way for hydroponics.
Any ideas? Have I identified the correct problem? if I did, will these plants recover? Should I be doing a complete drain and refill?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional