SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Early Tomato troubles!

bgaviator
12 years ago

Hello,

I just planted my tomatoes for the season, consisting of three Supersonic, three Joliet, 1 Cherokee purple, and three Patio tomatoes. I just put them out a few days ago, and I gave them a good drink the first night I planted them. It then misted a little bit yesterday and has been very cloudy the last two days, so hardly any sun at all since I've planted them, and fairly cool here in Ohio.....50s at night and only upper 60s during the day.

Tonight I went to check on my plants, and I am concerned that a couple of my Supersonics, some of the leaves at the top of the plant are yellowing around the edges and are curling up. One of my Joliet plants the stems are drooping and the leaves look kind of wilted. Is this a sign they may have gotten too much water right away, especially since it's been cloudy and cool?

I may have made a mistake too by when I dug the holes for the plants, I filled in around the plants with Potting Soil with moisture guard.....I think this may have been a mistake, as I'm afraid the moisture guard might retain too much water in the soil. Not really sure what I can do about that blunder now though....I also spread a little mulch around the plants. This year I laid rows of weed fabric down, and then cut X's for the tomato plants. Tonight I have also wrapped around the base of each tomato cage my soaker hose. Last year I had the hose on a timer set to water for 90 minutes every other day, and the tomatoes seemed to do really well, but that wasn't until later in the summer when it was much hotter. This year I made the mistake also of not bringing in my soaker hose for the winter, and now there are pinholes apparently in the rubber to where streams of water are shooting out in various places along the hose.....coincidentally, each plants seems to be in the path of one of the streams.....so I am also kind of looking on guidance for a water schedule both early on when it's not as hot, and then later on, now that my soaker hose isn't up to par. I am thinking maybe just 5 minutes in the morning, every other day, since they are getting a stream of water now instead of a drip? I have wondered too if maybe I can salvage my hose by installing a flow reducer to the faucet......that faucet currently comes out at extreme flow rate, so maybe if I reduce it at the faucet end, my soaker hose will go back to the slow trickle it's supposed to be. I know this was long winded, and a lot of info, but I appreciate any advice you can give to my early tomato problems, and my watering concerns. Thanks!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals