SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

More tomato trouble

annafl
15 years ago

Me and tomatoes. We have a love-hate relationship. I finally got some planted in Tomncath's pot-in-pot method and a few in earthboxes. These look good so far and are growing fast. However, I had two volunteers come up from my compost a while back. These came up inbetween my collards and between the broccoli. They have been draping everywhere and are full of golf-ball sized fruits. The taste is acceptable, short of yummy, but they are prolific and I was hoping to keep them till my others start fruiting, at least.

Well, for the last two weeks I've noticed the leaves from the bottom getting yellow, then spotted, then brown. About two thirds of the plants' leaves are affected. In my research (and info from a recent post), I think I may have 'early blight?' Apparently it is a fungus from spores splashing up from the soil? Anyway, today I removed the leaves that appeared to be affected and any I found on the ground. I also removed one of the broccoli plants to provide better air circulation. With another clean scissors I cut off any of the leaves on the other good plants that were touching the ground (info from another post). I guess I will try to only water the base of the plants and only in the morning when it will have time to dry out.

What to do? I don't like to spray anything that isn't organic. Not even organic stuff most of the time. I've heard cornmeal has some antifungal properties, maybe that would be worth trying.

I'm sure some of you have had experience with this. Should I just bite the bullet and pull the plants (they are laden with green fruits)? They are 5-10 feet away from the other plants. I appreciate any advice. Help!!!

Anna

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21