SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceruleanblue

Delivery folks were a disaster

ceruleanblue
8 years ago

I ordered a new washing machine and it was delivered on Tuesday. The guys that came did not have a clue. They were attaching the pedestal to the washing machine and going to bring it in attached. The problem with this is, the pedestal is another washing machine. And the instructions explicitly state that you need to keep a foam packed piece in place anytime it is moved. And remove it only once it is in the location you want it. I don't even think they removed the foam piece, so it would have been a disaster if I had used it (the piece is hidden under a panel so can't be removed once the washing machine is on top of the pedestal).

Then, they were using a power tool to attach the machine to the pedestal. When the instructions clearly state that you gently turn with a wrench as if you over tighten, you may damage the brackets.

I got "lucky" in that the washing machine had a huge scratch on one side where it would be 100% visible right when you walked into my laundry room. And the pedestal washing machine had a giant corner dent where all the metal was pressed in. (yes, the box was apparently damaged along with the packing foam but yet they never checked the machine before bringing it for deliver). So both machines never ended up making it into the house and are going back and getting re-ordered.

But now I will have these guys back again next week or the week after...and then likely one more time to bring the dryer which I don't believe will come the same time as the washers. So my plan is to tell them they have to bring the pedestal in first alone, then I'll take care of the foam moving piece (which the manual says save in case you need to move it again), and putting the panel into place properly. Then they can bring the machine in and put it on top, and my husband or I will tighten it up, hook it up and push it into place.

I am not sure they can even get anything into my house without damaging something though. They weren't even using those appliance straps that Sears used for my last 2 laundry sets. They were actually going to just carry the machine in by hand. A 210 pound washing machine with a 100 pound pedestal attached...310 pound appliance, by hand with one twiggy guy and a regular sized guy. And this is a professional moving company with several locations in a few provinces in Canada.

Any advice?

Comments (8)