SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Nebraska's turn for weather disasters

Hi folks

It's a very disturbing pattern that we seem to be taking turns with weather disasters all over the world, but undeniably it has been affecting everyone here in Nebraska lately. I'm fortunate to be in Lincoln where we don't have large rivers very close that would contribute to the kinds of flooding that has been devastating a large majority of the state elsewhere, but we're all affected by the need to help out even if we aren't personally in crisis. Whole towns have been literally washed away by the flood waters and many of the communities are indicating that it's unlikely that anyone will rebuild there.

A large part of the state is agricultural and ranching country, and there are heartbreaking stories of farmers who can't get the feed across the floodwaters to hungry cattle, or who have to drive 200 miles each way to get between parts of their fields because all the direct roads connecting them are washed out. This happened in calving season so large numbers of cattle and calves died, either from the flooding or the blizzard that struck immediately before the worst of the flooding started.

I work at UNL and we opened dorms for students that couldn't make it to their homes for spring break - we were also asked as instructors to also accommodate students who couldn't make it back from home after spring break for the rest of the semester (as if we wouldn't work with those students anyway!) Some rural school districts have their small population of students divided by floodwaters, and the teachers had to scramble to find technological solutions to keep school going. I read this weekend about some amazing efforts by repair crews to find creative strategies for bridging an overflowing river to replace fiberoptic cables that had been severed by the flood waters. They tried about a dozen methods to bridge the river before they found one that would work, and that's just some of the small but essential stories of resilience. I've learned second hand too about some of the hazards of flood waters that I wasn't aware of before. When packing flood buckets after church this Sunday to send to affected towns, I already knew that ammonia is a bad idea to send if there's any chance of bleach being in the same water, but I learned that vinyl gloves are an equally bad idea to pack into such kits since they can melt on your hands if there are chemicals present in the water.

Fortunately the reports I've seen have only a few human deaths from the flooding, though livestock, pets and wild animals are suffering on a fairly large scale. They're not sure if it's possible to plant the fields or restore other aspects of the natural environment this summer because of possible toxic materials affecting the ground. Also, I understand that the worst may not yet be reached for some of the western and northern communities, since the blizzard conditions we had two weeks ago hasn't melted yet in places and the floods might yet get worse. A foot and a half of snow in one storm is unusual for Nebraska at any time, particularly in March. I saw a picture of a 20 ft. high, 200 yard wide, and mile long stretch of ice thrown up by the Niobrara River in northern Nebraska that is going to cause havoc when it melts. Someone else showed a huge slab of ice mixed with large sections of a road that was the length and width of a pretty substantial house, and I shudder to think about what the original road looks like now or what the power of the water was to rip out all that concrete and rebar.

Obviously this is only tangentially related to roses, but I've heard from several of you in this community with your kind concerns so I thought I'd chime in to thank you all for your concern and catch you up on news from this region. Your kind thoughts and prayers on behalf of the people affected are appreciated, as well as more tangible support that has been coming in for relief efforts from places big and small.

Thanks

Cynthia

Comments (25)