SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spazboy357

Can compost help renovate a disaster area that used to be a yard?

spazboy357
15 years ago

Hi, everyone, first-time poster with a bit of an odd situation.

My elderly mother-in-law recently passed away and left my wife (and therefore *me*) with a house and landscape in need of serious help. One of the last bits of work that was done on the house was a septic tank replacement that utterly destroyed the small bit of "lawn" that used to exist in the back yard. The "soil" that the contractors churned up is mostly sand and rocks that has grown a fantastic crop of weeds. Any areas that they didn't turn over are a heavily compacted, clay-based soil that barely supports grass. The yard is almost completely shaded most of the day thanks to a few LARGE maples (and a gazillion smaller volunteers). My desire is to renovate the area and get something that looks like a lawn with the least expense possible in the shortest time possible so that we can sell the house. I will be cutting down a large number of the trees that are shading the area, but I have no real way to tell how much sun actually will get through until I've done it. The town where the house is located has municipal compost facility where they will give you as much as you care to take.

My thought is that I can haul pickup truck loads of compost back every time I take a load of trees/brush to them. If I spread it in a 3" to 6" layer over the entire area that I'd like to turn back into "lawn" and then rototill it in, is that too much compost at one time?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comments (11)