SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phawx_gw

Can I use this for a new compost pile?

phawx
15 years ago

I've read pages and pages of information on composting, and I feel more and more confused with everything I read. So forgive me if these questions are redundant, I would simply prefer an accurate answer to my specific situation rather than guessing.

We have an 5'x8' trailer full of hay, corn stalks, and now some dug up grass, sitting on our property. The hay has been there since last October. Our neighbor's hay caught on fire and what we have is just the last trailer full that didn't get hauled off. It is wet but not burnt. The burnt stuff was hauled off. Guess cows don't like wet hay? The stalks are from our garden last year, they sat on the ground all winter and just recently were moved to the trailer. The grass is from the yard, we dug up an 8' circle to plant strawberries, so there is a lot of dirt clinging to it. It's clumps, basically.

We also have leaves from our tree still scattered all over the back of the house, up against the foundation. There is probably enough to fill 2 or 3 large yard bags. We just never got around to cleaning them up. I don't have any idea what the tree is unfortunately. I'm going to see if I can identify it, I know that would be helpful to know. It was there when we bought the house. I hate the thing, scatters it's flaky seeds EVERYWHERE in springtime. I'm sure there's some of those buried under the leaves as well.

I have zero budget to build any type of bin this year, but I have plenty of spots in my yard, most of which is currently just bare ground, where I can pile any or all of these things and create a compost area without needing to contain it. Plus I'd much prefer to use all of this rather than hauling it off to the green waste.

So here are my questions:

1. Given what I have sitting around my yard, can I effectively create a compost pile? We do have some yard, so eventually I'll have grass clippings to add to it, but that will be a few months away still. And of course kitchen scraps and a newspaper once a week :) I just don't have large amounts of any other material to add to the very large amounts of hay.

2. The hay has been sitting all winter, as I mentioned, so it is wet and I suppose already decomposing some. I'm worried about mold growing in it, hubby said it looks like there is mold down inside it. We used some from the top of the pile to partially fill our raised boxes. They are 18" deep so we put a 6" layer of hay in before we put the dirt in.

3. Do the corn stalks have to be broken down smaller or can we throw them in as they are. I don't have access to a chipper or anything like that, plus they are wet as well, been sitting all winter and it's been snowing on and off this week.

Comments (7)