SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedsavr

Pop up pond & Petsmart waterlily disaster!!!

seedsavr
15 years ago

Hey everyone! I'm a long time reader, and have posted in the other forums on garden web. This year, I was shopping at christmas tree shop (its in delaware, i know of one in maryland too....) and they were selling a Pop-UP-Pond for six bucks!! It is 28 gallons, (i am told they sold out of the 45 gallon size they were selling for 10 dollrs). It was an impulse buy and no nothing of ponds!

So, to test my new buy for leaks, i began filling it up ontop of small table on my deck. Before it was even a hald way full, the table collapsed!!!!!!! luckily i asked my young neighbor and he helped fix it :) so, i moved it to a sturdy cement patio and added a layer of pebbles i bought at the local home improvement store. When i filled it up with water it became dark and murcky. (I orgionally had concerns that it woulkd not be sturdy, but when filled theres no moving or tipping this thing!) So, i got a bucket and dumped the water and refilled it. hallfway through it still stayed murcky. I changd the water 5 more times untill it was crystall clear.

Next, as per the directions, it was time to add plants. I went to a local nursery but all the nice water lilies were 30$ plus! The man there said i must buy at least three plants for the pond my size, but the only ones there that i could afford were "frogbit" and "water hayecinth". he said that after three weeks all there growth and filteration abilities would be used up, and i had to buy more. He told me that i could bring the plants back to him at the store so they could "renutrientalize them" or he said i could just toss them in the local pond or river. So for 36$ i went home with one small bag of frogbit and two water hayencinth.

After three days, I realized that the water heyenith was dying. All the leaves and the bubbles were yellow. For the price you know why i was mad! So i went to the store and asked for the man i talked to. I was told he was on break. I told my situation to the man, but he said that they do not offer refunds. He said i could keep them, give them to him (so that he would nurture it, and i could repurchase it) or toss it in a lake. what a joke!!!!

The next day i thought i would try petsmart. they had a display of waterliies plastic boxes with these plastic plants on top. They were on sale and were garrenteed to grow so i gave the pink waterlily a try. They also sold really pretty "feeder goldfish" by the six, so i bought them.

The fish are doing fine and love to swim around. however nothing happened with teh waterlily bulb that was in a cocofiber enclosure. so i dug it up and brought it back to the store. they gave me a chance for a replacement, which i accepted. after a week and a half i finnaly have a 1/2 ich grass like growth ccoming from the bulb. This does NOT look like a waterlily! I think that all this product do was introduce an aquatic weed to my pond. Am I wrong? Did i do anything wrong? i really woulkd like this growth to finnaly be a good waterlily but don't know who else to turn to. at five bucks it sure beats that horrible nursery!

thank you so much

Comments (23)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH