SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vithdude

Note to self

Vith
8 years ago

Dont toenail into the electrical....

Project: Move closet opening from living room to bedroom. Closet was in living room for the door, said door possibly was the main entry long ago but now is basically an egress door (garage/breezeway/patio/driveway door is now main entrance). Closet doors match in the bedroom so I could use existing hardware and doors. They would also be side by side so it would look good.

During installation of the new opening, I had prepared the wall cavity knowing there is electric there so I cut the hole for the new opening leaving enough room for the stud inside the electric. While installing said stud, the radio randomly shut off. I tried to turn it on and nothing. Turns out I apparently forgot to NOT toenail into the electric... luckily the breaker saved me. Following pic shows the stud leaning on the wall after removing for discovery.

And hole where toenailed screw when through BOTH wires..... If only that one screw would have been 1/2" one way or the other, pretty awesome to hit it dead on....

Running new wires wires would have been pretty hard considering the finished basement ceiling. So I proceeded to cut a hole in the ceiling... in the wrong place. The damaged wire didn't reach. Now I have a hole to patch too!

Pic of the wires screwed through

Eventually I finished.... longer route than I planned though. New wire to the outlet from the new junction box, patch hole, paint... lots of mudding and sanding... yada yada.

Comments (6)