SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresa6

Bedroom help needed for 10-year-old girl

theresa6
8 years ago

We've just moved to a new house and for the first time in her life my 10-year-old daughter has her own room. She's always shared with her younger or older sister.

I've bought her a few things for her room but overall it looks kind of cold and empty. I would love some help making it and cozy and comfortable for her.

The bed is noon, the curtains are as well. The bedding is a hand-me-down from her sister. Happily can change that.

I am also open to eventually replacing that brown dresser or putting it in her closet.

I was going for a comfortable reading nook in this corner but I didn't realize how small the rug would be in her space. Either way, she picked it and loved it. She also picked and loves the night table. I am going to replace that little purple chair because she's way too big for it and I was thinking about a couple of oversized beanbag chairs for reading or hanging out with a friend. I was also contemplating a canopy in her room but I don't know if she's too old for that?

We are going for a eclectic bohemian kind of look in here. Her favorite colors are robins egg or mint blue and purple and those are the main accents we've been trying to use. I have no idea what color to paint her room and any decorating help would be very much appreciated!

At some point in the future I would also like to put a desk in there. I'm also not a fan of the bed against the wall but I don't have any ideas about where else to put it. Thanks in advance.

Comments (47)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

It's a nice big room.

I think I would leave the bed where it is, but don't put it into the corner. Leave some room on the far side to put an end table or a skirted round table in the corner with a reading lamp on it and a place to put an alarm clock.

As you have a lot of painted furniture in the room, I'd consider painting the dresser as well.

I like the idea of a reading nook, but that one doesn't cut it. The rug is way too small...you can put that near the bed for her to step on when she gets up in the a.m. Then get her a new one that's larger to define the reading nook. She's only going to grow and get bigger and need more space, especially to enjoy with gfs. So I would get her a more substantial chair to go in that corner with a nice reading light. Put the low case with all the stuffed animals on it by the other window to use as a side table for her new chair. Then you can put a future desk for her under the window at the foot of the bed.

If there's room, I'd swap the bookcase with the dresser only to help define the reading nook better.

I can't really help with the color as it's hard to see in your photos, only to know that a tighter color scheme is needed...I see gold and green and blue and red and pink and it's not looking pulled together at this point. Perhaps use the drapes for color inspiration.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would skip the canopy for now and put the money toward, say, a nice, large rug, as well as paint and more of the fundamentals that need to be covered for now.

Bean bags are a great idea. I think I'd put the floor lamp next to her bed and find a lamp that isn't quite so tall for the reading nook.

I'd put the reading nook in the corner where the bed is now - no window, and put the bed coming out into the room with the headboard where you've got what looks like a pinboard, so that she can look out the window at rain or whatever in the morning.

That arrangement will also allow you to get a square rug for the front part of the room, which as you have it now would be difficult because of the small reading rug.

Put the bench you've got under the window next to the bed, where you have the dresser now. It can act also as a bedside table. Floor lamp on the other side of the bed.

Put the bookshelf to the left of the window so that it is at the end of her reading nook.

I think I'd change the curtains to something simpler since the comforter is so busy.

Paint the room BM Violet Pearl, and beautiful very soft, elegant light violet.

• Related Discussions

What size bed for a 10 year old? Small bedroom issue!

Q

Comments (27)
    Twin bed with a desk and/or bookshelves and bulletin board Or several bulletin boards) and full-length mirror on back of door. Good lighting AND (if possible) a small chair. BASIC REASONS FOR EACH SUGGESTION: Twin bed to allow for more room (perhaps a blow-up Aero bed for guest?) Desk and/or bookshelves to develop a love of crafts, art projects, books and reading on real paper! (not just the computer!) Bulletin boards allow fast and easy changes of personal photos and "stuff" A full-length mirror on back of door for checking the full "look" (and to free up time in the family bathroom LOL!) Good lighting by the bed and around the whole room. A small cozy chair is wonderful to have a space that is so private (like a hug from your home!) Always loved having my own desk with my own books in my own room! (wish I had one now! sigh) Used the desk for MY art projects! LOVED having MY own books ..... Jan
    ...See More

Need 'big girl' bedroom furniture for my 3 yr old daughter...pics

Q

Comments (12)
    I vote for choice 3, Storage 101. I like the footboard better and the divided drawers on top are nice. I have two daughters, 16-year-old has a natural maple set we bought for her when she was young; the 10-year-old I went a different route with vintage furniture pieces painted white paired with a wrought iron daybed with pop-up trundle. I think white furniture is very versatle for a girl as you can mix and match and add pieces to it overtime and it goes with almost any paint color and/or fabric. I do highly recommend the daybed option as it can be propped up with many pillows and stuft animals and can be a cozy spot to cuddle up and read books with a parent or friend. The popup trundle is also really nice as it brings the other bed to the same height as the first one. My DD really likes being at the same height as her friend when she has sleepovers so the girls can face one another and share secrets instead of one bed higher than the other. Don't be afraid to get just a piece or two if you like it and add other pieces later.
    ...See More

Teen Girl Bedroom Help Needed

Q

Comments (31)
    Just an FYI: I just got the latest Linen Source catalog and they are going out of business! They have tons of their comforters, bedspreads and sheets and everything else at a really good sale price with free shipping if you spend $75 or more through July 30th. I saw some really cute matelasse coverlets in pink for a good price, plus a lot of other things too.
    ...See More

23 year old mans first apartment need help with bedroom

Q

Comments (7)
    I am assuming that you are renting and work with what is there. Does the desk need to stay in this room? Do you need such a wide spread desk or could you use one that was only on one wall or maybe only under the window? Are you open to painting that one if you need to keep it for now or should it remain as it is? (black? Think my nephew has the same one.) What other furniture do you need or want in a BR? Looks like a bed, frame and box or platform so you can get the mattress off the floor is a starting point. Do you need or want a dresser? A chair or a bench you can sit on when dressing or putting on shoes? What kind of feeling and colors appeal to you for your room? A lot of young men seem to like greys, black, red or maybe navy and naturals. Do you want something clean and tailored? Relaxed and casual? Have you seen any rooms in magazine or online that you like the look of -- if not the exact furniture or layout, the kind of colors or general styles you would like to incorporate? Sorry, no answers here, but hope these questions will help lead to info that can bring answers.
    ...See More
  • theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. It really is a huge room! 14 x 13 I think? Same size as the master bedroom just without the closet and bathroom attached. So I totally agree that the room does not feel cohesive at this point. It's kind of all over the place. The curtains are ones that she picked out on her own and she really likes so I want to keep them. The bedspread, however, is just one that we threw on there until we found her something that works better so I don't want to use that when thinking about how to decorate the room. And also the rug, I know that it is too small for the space but somehow I need to keep it because it is her favorite and she picked it. You can't tell from the picture but the white threads are sparkly and when the light hits it it's really pretty. So if I get a bigger rug can I still keep this one? Do the two rugs have to match? Courtney? Should they be completely different?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I don't think they have to match at all, and I would keep the small rug for her reading cove. One reason I suggested the layout I did is because you'd have no rug issues with it. The reading rug would be on the other side of the bed, in the reading corner, and that would leave the open side of the bed with a perfect square for a larger rug for that area.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. The only question then is, if I put her bed facing the window then when you walk in the first thing you see is the backside of her headboard. And it is pretty tall, won't that look weird?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

No, not facing the window. The headboard would be against the wall where the pin board is now, so coming out from that wall into the room but not flush up against the window. You'd be able to walk on each side of the bed.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

But you know, if you wanted to have the bed come out from the window as you described, you could put the dresser up against the headboard so that, when you walk into the room, you are looking at the dresser. Might create a cozy little sleeping area, in fact.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I would take a look at etsy for bean bag options. This is just one example.

Etsy link.

I would pick the fabrics for the room first and then choose a paint color.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Large area rug, new wall paint (if you're open to that), then paint the dresser. Some art work.

• amykath
    8 years ago

I agree with nosoccermom. A large area rug will make a hug difference.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

About the dresser, I will admit that it's not my favorite but it was my mother-in-law's when she was a little girl so my husband feels pretty strongly that he doesn't want me to paint it. So I could either move it to the closet or replace it at some point in the future :-)

As for been bag chairs, I have a land of nod outlet near me which is where I've gotten most of the kids furniture. The bed and curtains as well as the bookshelf and bench. They have these really giant beanbag chairs I was thinking about, one in mint and one in purple?

http://m.landofnod.com/40-personalized-mint-bean-bag-chair-includes-cover-and-insert/s519576

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And I definitely need to paint! That is next on my list. I didn't want to put anything up on the walls until after I've painted.

Does anyone have any bedding suggestions that would look good in the room? Should I stick to just purple and mint or robins egg blue or can we use other colors as well?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Paint the room! I see you're planning to do that...but it would make such a difference! That (gold?) is never going to work with the pastels your daughter likes, or bright colors, either.

My niece started with pinks and lavenders, then switched to bright purple, turquoise and neon green. This was when she was 11, so your daughter is almost there.

I'd paint the room a light green or blue, so it looks good with the wood, but also with the purple. Then, add the colors she loves and change the accents as she grows.

I like that end table, too! :)

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So because it was the easiest thing I could do by myself I moved the bed over a little bit to see how it looks. Not sure, that space feels weird now.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Geez, I take back what I said about getting new curtains. Better view in the bottom pic. Those are awesome!

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

..happy to see you have a cat too!))

Do you think you'd like to move the light blue nightstand to the corner when the lamp is now? And put the white etagere with books instead of the blue nightstand, on the other side of the bed? I think a) makes easier to choose these books and read while being in a bed..b) creates connection to play area too, so the little girl can use them more easily while playing on a rug.

What do you think?

Love the curtains and the dresser! (the one you maybe want to relegate to the closet. It has very calming quality about it..)

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is this a little more along the lines of what was suggested? I changed the bedding to the closest match I could find that I had already. I definitely like the bed here, and I like that she can look out her window. But how does The nightstand feel between the bed and the window? What about the big brown dresser, is it too bulky to go on the other side of the bed? I could swap the white bookshelf and the dresser if that would feel better? Also, the white bookshelf doesn't feel right to the left of the window. It comes out too far and makes that whole area feel cramped and then the wall on the other side feels too empty.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry for the awkward angle but is this the space I should be thinking about for a larger area rug? Where should it

Cover, to the edges of the furniture or should it go under the bed too?

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

This bedding from garnet hill seems to hit all the colors.

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

You know, I love both of them next to the bed..the white etagere, and the brown dresser. Dresser also seems to be less protruding this way..So now I'm perplexed))

I also didn't see a door, on the same wall with the bed..see it now.

You can also take the white etagere to the playing corner, right across the bed..don't know how deep is it, and how much space it will take though.

One more thing: if you leave one or the other, put the art (the one you have already, or something new) on the wall over the blue nightstand..to balance things out a bit. The blue nightstand is pretty small, needs more visual weight so to say.

You can also swap the nightstand and the dresser places, so dresser is closer to the window..heavier object usually looks best when further away

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just to see how it looked I moved the bookshelf over in front of the reading nook to extend the space a little bit.

Not sure how I feel about it though. Because now the other side of the room looks unbalanced and the rug is covering the heating vent.

I tried putting the brown dresser on the other side of the bed but it sticks out too far and blocks part of the window so I didn't like it so much.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Last one everyone, I promise. Thanks for all your patience with my craziness! I tried the white bookshelf on the other side of the bed. Not sure if it feels too heavy next to the window? What does everyone like the best?

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I could always go and try to find another blue night table for symmetry but it feel silly because it's kind of a waste of space.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

try turning the reading area 45 degrees so that the chair is up against the wall, the rug is pressed into the corner where you have the bookshelf now and runs down along the wall toward the end of the bed, and slide the book shelf down that wall so that it is next to the window. Try the reading chair tucked into the corner.

I really like he bed in that spot! Also, move the blue bedside table to the other side of the bed.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Oops, never mind. Leave the blue table where it is in the last pic. That is where I was saying to move it to!

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Let me make sure I understand, take the rug and instead of aligning it so that the longer end is making a sort of t with her bed I should flip it so that the longer end is along the wall where the window by the bed is? And then take the white shelf and put it next to the window that has The bench?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Yes on the first part, no on the second. Just slide the white book shelf to the right until it is next to the window that is next to her bed, so that it will be at the end of the rug.

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

I think the last one is the best: white shelf next to the window, blue nightstand on the other side..and some art over it later, to take care of the balance thing

I would also put the reading chair in the corner of the playing space, like on diagonal you know? As tibbrix suggested. And tall floor lamp next to it.

Just find the rug you both like, put some art, especially art your daughter made herself..paint as you planned, and put a flowerpot or two. Very cozy room it will be, I hope your little one will love it.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have another question about the rug. Should I get a bigger version of the same rug or is that too much of the same thing?

and one more thought, I have another of those Jenny Lind bookshelves in my other daughters room. I could rearrange stuff and bring it up and put one on either side of the bed or anywhere else really if that would help. And I mentioned there is a land of nod outlet nearby and they usually have lots of white bookshelves so if I need to buy another one I could.

One less thing that I want to put in her room is a desk. I don't have it yet and I don't know which one to buy either but I think it would be nice for homework. Where could I put it?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I would actually not get a larger version of the small rug. I'd let her reading corner be its own unique spot. I also would not put two bookshelves in the room. Seems like you've got a perfect amount of furniture in there now.

As for homework, when they're young, maybe have homework done at the kitchen table, near you, so they can't get distracted and also so they can ask you for help if needed. I'd suggest @ 12, 13 thinking about getting a desk for homework in the bedroom. At that point, I'd switch out the reading corner for the desk.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Because I'm a glutton for punishment I have one more option. I moved stuff around one more time just to see how it would look like this because I wasn't sure how much I liked the white bookshelf by the window. Felt a little heavy there.

I like the bed here too and feel like it might be a little bit more balanced by the window. But the big negative of course is that she can't look out the window from here. One plus is that the bookshelf is closer to the reading nook

and one negative is that it feels a little crowded by the door to me because I'm one side of the doorway is the dresser and on the other side is the bookshelf. I was thinking I could still get a big area rug for the open space next to her bed. What does everyone think? What do you like better or should I try something totally different?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I like the last one! Maybe a chair or bench in front of the window? (Seems safer) and then the bean bags in the reading nook :)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I preferred it the other way, but ask who matters: your daughter. Does she have a preference?

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

She said she likes being able to look out the window. So I think the bed against the other wall was her preference but I'm still not thrilled with how it looks with the bookshelf between the bed in the window. I like how it feels much better with the bed along the other wall balanced by the short bench and the night table. Is there a way to achieve that same feeling with the bed on the other wall? Any ideas?

I tried flipping the rug and moving the bookshelf to the end of it but it felt very cramped in that little area. Plus the path to the side of the bed by the window was pretty narrow.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the last one best or I actually prefer either of the ones above with the bookshelf near window, bed, table OR table near window, bed, bookshelf.

Your last question, you like the last picture placement and would like to see that on the wall where the night table and bookshelf is in the photo above? It doesn't look like there would be enough room for the table, bed, and bench on that wall. Did you try it there?

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

My inclination would be to paint the walls bright white and let the rest of the accents be the color players. White is the backdrop I've often seen, or been drawn to, when I look up bohemian pictures.

I'd also put a really large area rug in the room that only left a few inches of bare floor around the perimeter of the room. This way, no matter which way the room is arranged, the rug is always the right size. If your daughter is anything like I was, the room will be rearranged many times during her teen years! : ) You could still layer her little rug over the large rug for her reading nook.

You might like to plug the room into homestyler.com for working on the layout. Your kitties might be disappointed, but muscles with thank you. : ) If you save a snapshot of the homestyler layout to your computer, you can upload it onto here using the photo link. That would allow us to see the plan overview, and will make it easier for us to help with the arrangement.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Once you get a rug in there, it's not going to feel as unbalanced to you because the other end of the room has the doors, a window, etc.

Another option is to put the dresser inside the closet.

I think young girls especially tend to like "cozy", chamber-like arrangements, versus spread out. Makes them feel homey and safe.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

What if you put the bed all the way into the corner where the window is, i..e no path on both sides? I probably would put the dresser in the closet. And then have the reading corner with the shelf on the other side where the window seat is. Does she need additional shelves/cubbies for toys?

• Suzy
    8 years ago

Definitely the best bed placement is this last one. I hate beds that are on the same wall next to the door. This looks so much better. Get a nice yogibo for the reading nook.

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

Definitely let your daughter help you with making choices. Kids can be very creative.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

so the store I got her current rug (land of not outlet) has the same one in a larger (5x8) size. I'm tempted to get it but worry it might be too much of the same?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Is she going to have a TV on the wall? Maybe DVD's only? That might make a difference :)

• caroline94535
    8 years ago

Please do not leave the rug covering that heat vent. It could burn your house down, and starting with that little sweetheart's room first. "Fire Safety" is more important than any room décor.

I love the bed pulled out away from the wall. I personal don't like any bed, or any piece of furniture, pushed right into a corner. You should be able to walk, comfortably, around both sides of the bed.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Really quick, I am currently at the land of that outlet picking up a bed for my four-year-old daughter and was looking at the rugs. They have a 5 x 8 version of the mint colored rug my daughter already has in the reading nook and they also have this rug that I thought coordinated well and was kind of neat. What does everyone think? Buy one or keep looking?

http://m.landofnod.com/patterned-kids-rugs/kids-rugs/rags-to-riches-rug-mint/f17289

• Jaime
    8 years ago

Just chiming in with a wall color suggestion...I have a 9 year old who also loves the robin's egg blue tones and wanted a "teenage" eclectic bedroom. We went with Benjamin Moore's Quartz Stone and it was PERFECT. We also added gold vinyl dots purchased on Etsy to add a bit more whimsy. Her room is in a renovated basement, so we don't have the beautiful light and floors you do...what a lucky girl! :)

This picture was the day we moved all of her furniture in, so it's still a bit sparse here. But you get the idea.