SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
providencesparrow

Center hall farmhouse first draft- am I on the right track?

Long time lurker for years and occasional poster here. We are a family of four, (one teen one kindergartener). We are have the goal of building a traditional two story farmhouse. We own the 20acres in rural agricultural setting on Oklahoma zone 7.

Our goals include-

energy efficiency- currently researching ICF or SIPs, want the potential to keep windows open much of time and set them in the plan to take advantage of our frequent N/S winds. Also looking at passive solar siting of house. Im hoping our current idea of a long central hall will help facilitate this.

Non-open design- we have family members w hearing loss and want to try to eliminate background noises for my son. Hence the separation from the living room. And the absence of a "great room".

Workable pantry/mudroom/laundry area.- I garden, and can my produce, we raise our own beef and have a horse. We need larger food storage spaces because of this. We need a quick access to bathroom and laundry room from outdoors. My goal for all the doors is to close off the bathroom area when we are hosting lots of kiddos outdoors and discourage them from tracking through the house.

Elevation- this house will be surrounded by wheat fields and I want it to look like it "earns it's keep" as a farmhouse. I want it to feel as if it has been on the land for years and have it "fit in" with the setting. I'm thinking white Hardiboard with functioning shutters.

I really want the nitty gritty truth on this rough draft. If I am heading in the wrong direction let me know what I should do differently. I do want to use a professional in the future but when I sat down with two different highly recommended designers of our area I could tell they did not understand our vision. "You don't want to look through our plan book of European styled McMansions?" "You don't want brick arches with lots of gables and dormers?!" Ok, they didn't say that but you get the point. We are from and area where everything is brick and either Tuscany or "Dallas" style. Architects are not common. No one really hires a pro around here, and we seem to be having a hard time breaking the mold. Thank you in advance for any insight!

Comments (38)