SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenp4

Farmhouse Kitchen-- Advice on Flooring?

jenp4
16 years ago

Hello everyone! I am a new poster although experienced reader at this board :) I am in the process of purchasing a 100 yr old farmhouse that needs to be entirely remodeled. The kitchen is bare except a wall of dirty, half-plastic cabinets and two layers of chipping vinyl tile flooring. There are layers of thick, plastic wallpaper to be removed.

The ceiling is nice and high (almost 9 feet), it is a 12 by 12 foot space. I am planning an island with cooktop (to create a working triangle) with soapstone around the cooktop and a wall oven with soapstone on the counter about the oven (hanging microwave above). I hope to also have soapstone or some antiqued stone on the long counter (12 feet), but I am looking for remnants (trying to make it affordable)-- I know it will be darker in color.

My questions are on the cabinets and flooring.

I like the contrast between painted cabinets and darker countertops. But I want wood cabinets, and everyone is telling me it is a sin to paint wood cabinets. Do people usually get MDF or something for painted cabinets? I really don't like that stuff.

Also, I am thinking a wood floor in the kitchen to contrast nicely with the painted (cream?) cabinets, but I am at a loss as to what type of wood to get. I have thought about pine, teak, handscraped engineered wood, and on and on. I know I want something with character and something that withstands a dog. I really dislike the look of oak. Any suggestions here, especially for a midwestern farmhouse?

My other issue is that there are wood floors in the adjoining dining room and hallway, and I have no idea what they are made of or what condition they are in. Do I have to know this before I pick a floor for the kitchen? If I pick a wood with a variety of shades in it, will that match with anything hidden in those two spaces? And considering that I will have wood in all the rooms on the main floor once I remove carpeting and put the floor down in the kitchen, is there such a thing as too much wood?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated-thank you!!

p.s. I have pics of the kitchen in its current state (so everyone can appreciate its sad state), but I don't know how to post those yet.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths