SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Solarization Query

I am thinking to solarize my herb bed over this 'winter' and restartimg it in the spring. The bed at the moment is full of oregano, thyme and a few other creeping herbs. The problem is that I never labeled which herbs were what. I have three types of thyme, but I don't remember what they were much less which one is which. They have also crept enough to become intermingled with each other. And then there are also weeds growing amongst the herbs. This isn't a huge deal as I know which are the herbs and which are the weeds. So I want to solarize the entire thing and give myself a blank slate to work with come spring. My concern is that I also have some perennial herbs that are already well established in the bed. Rosemary, Fennel and various basils. I am wondering if by solarizing the bed I might end up cooking the roots of these and end up killing them off? The rosemary and basils are fairly easy to propagate, so I guess I could take cuttings 'just in case', but I would hate to lose my mature plants.

Comments (9)