Weather XVIII test
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (111)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Blackberry Plant Cold Weather Protection
Comments (11)I've got Triple Crown planted 2012, made it through 2012 and 2013 winters covered with multiple layers of burlap (old coffee bean bags). I was worried about 2013-2014 since we had some very bitter cold without snowcover, but I uncovered the canes a few weeks ago, and just this week took a peek at some I was tip-rooting (trying to move them to another row since I planted 5 in same row with raspberries and now the raspberries are spreading so want the row to themselves). Roots look good, I'm leaving them covered through heavy rains and cool temps right now, but canes are starting to get leaf buds. I did cut the canes to separate from the mother plants, leaving some buds on each section. Got a handful of berries off those 5 original plants last summer, hoping for more this year, and will keep tip-rooting to fill out the new row (not sure when/if I should move the original plants). I want 1 row of Killarney and 1 of Encore (not spreading as much, that's in a second row with a fallbearing variety I got off Freecycle). Plus 1 of TC and maybe 1 of the fallbearing (which is spreading to the south, marked them coming up through the mulch so just plan on mounding dirt on top of them, only a couple need to be moved, the rest are coming up pretty much in a straight line). I probably have to find a new spot, but DH pulled out a lot of the wild black raspberries when he dug out the multiflora rose from the back field. Saw post about Niwot - did you have to call Nourse to order? My fallbearing raspberries (could be Autumn Britten, woman couldn't remember) flowered but weren't pollinated last year even though I uncovered them when I saw blossoms. Had covered with sheer curtains to try to keep the SWD out - saw a few on the Encore, was trying to pick the TC ASAP to keep ahead of them. Think there would be a problem with Niwot and SWD?...See MoreHelp ASAP water testing
Comments (9)How many fish do you have in your pond? What kind of fish - koi, goldfish, other? How large is the pond? Do you have any shade? Plants? How often do you feed? Is the temperature you mentioned, 94, water temperature or air temperature? The air temperatures here reached 97 yesterday, but my water temperature was 80 degrees, which is acceptable. I'm not too concerned about the Ph. Mine tends to run about 80, the fish are accustomed to it. Sudden Ph changes can be stressful, but if it stays consistent, I wouldn't worry about that too much unless it goes above 85. Then you may want to consider Ph Down to slowly bring the Ph to a more acceptable level. Your more pressing problem is the nitrites, which are toxic to fish. This is caused by the ammonia excreted from the fish waste, even from their gills. Your nitrites are not extremely high at this point, but you may need to add an ammonia binder to detoxify it while you work on bringing the levels down. Nitrates are not harmful to fish, but at high levels can lead to other problems, such as methane gas production, which is not good. I would stop feeding the fish for a few days, do a partial water change, and clean out any debris that may be decaying in the pond. If you're overstocked, as many of us are, you may need to look into increasing your bio filtration or rehoming a few of the fish. I'm not an advocate of adding bottled bio bacteria, since it is a naturally occurring bacteria, but you may want to do this to help bring your bacteria concentration up to help deal with the load. If you have a UV, turn it off until the bacteria has settled, a few days should be more than enough time. Also, if the fish have been spawning, that will also bring the nitrite levels up. Keep the aerator going....See Morecold tolerant plantings get tested
Comments (12)You guys (both male and female) must be really young with really strong backs! When we moved here from Miami - I was determined to have some tropicals. And I can remember running out in the late afternoon when it was 45 trying to cover things when we were supposed to have a hard freeze. Lots of fun (rolling eyes). After about 5 years - I stopped trying to fight mother nature. I still do buy tropicals - but only small fairly inexpensive ones for a butterfly/hummingbird garden that I'm prepared to lose every year (and pull out and throw away). Plant only after 3/15 (recommended date here - almost no chance of hard freeze here after then in zone 9A) - and when the plants die - they die - they die (sometime our first hard freeze is in February - sometimes - this this year - it's in December). IMO - if you're new to the area - especially if you're in zones 9A or 9B - I'd see what normal weather patterns are like where you live. Not only what the low temps are during the winter - but how long they last (some plants are ok with an hour of light freeze - many others need 3-4+ hours to get hurt). And how often you get them. And you have to remember not to prune many of those cold damaged plants until your last probable freeze date (like I have some hibiscus that have been damaged - they look like garbage - but I won't know until spring pruning whether I have to prune off a foot of deadwood - or take them down to the ground (if the latter - I'll dig them up and toss them - don't want to wait until August for flowers). BTW - in the years we lived in Miami - and our folks lived in Lighthouse Point (east Broward) - we never saw a freeze (hurricanes yes - freezes no). But there are a lot of plants there that don't even like weather in the 40's. Still - I only remember a couple of days down there when the lows were in the 40's. Robyn...See MoreCold Hardy Test Starts TODAY!!!!
Comments (43)Hey Tim! I hope your tests are continuing to show positive results. I would have no problem sending you the formula... there's only one problem The device I use to make part of the formula is expensive and without it, you can't make it. I bought a high-end lab quality machine that costs $2000.00. The cheapest one I've ever seen and you can't trust the quality, was $600.00 and it only allows the processing of small amounts at a time-hardly worth the risk of investment. You can sort of buy this part of my formula, already made but the base product is different and would need to be added later. This would change the process and that is not the true way I make it so the results may not be the same. It is that one process that makes my formula totally unique and unlike anything out there. I'm sorry if I sound confusing or cryptic but I'm trying to not give away the ship-and with it, 3 years of work. The good news is that if it really winds up to be a success, on a mass scale of production, it's inexpensive to produce. I will say that no matter what, any formula will most likely need to work in conjunction with mulch and an anti-desiccant spray (like WiltPruf). Even though my tests on grass say otherwise, I feel that a grass benefits from being closer to the ground and benefiting from ground heat...an educated guess which will be proven true or false in time....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEEmbrace a Few Beautifully Weathered Surfaces for a Happy, Durable Home
You don’t need to worry so much about scuff marks and dings when you accept the character and beauty of wear
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGLower Your Heating Bills With Some Simple Weather Stripping
Plug the holes in your house this winter to make sure cold air stays where it belongs: outside
Full Story
ARCHITECTURETime-Tested, Low-Tech Ways to Cool a Home
People have been beating the heat around the world for centuries without plugging anything in. Could these ideas work for your home today?
Full Story
CAPE COD DESIGNAmerican Architecture: The Elements of Cape Cod Style
This simple architecture style was born in New England but has stood the test of time around the United States
Full Story
EXTERIORSRoofing Materials: Slate Makes for Fireproof Roofs That Last
It stands up to weather and fire without losing its high-end look. But can your budget handle it?
Full Story
LIFECool Architecture for Hot Summers
Sun-repelling roofs, shades, windows and the natural flow of air can help your home weather heat waves
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGPruning Secrets for Exquisite Roses
Encourage gorgeous blooms year after year with this time-tested advice on how to prune your rosebush in winter for health and shape
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGContractor Tips: Build a Top-Notch Deck
Get an outdoor deck that fits your lifestyle and stands the test of time by keeping these 4 considerations in mind
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGInsulation Basics: Designing for Temperature Extremes in Any Season
Stay comfy during unpredictable weather — and prevent unexpected bills — by efficiently insulating and shading your home
Full Story
CURB APPEALHow to Touch Up Your Home’s Exterior Paint
Protect your siding from weather damage without exposing yourself to mismatched paint by learning the right way to do touch-ups
Full StorySponsored
Innovative & Creative Custom Closet Designer Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions











always_beezeeOriginal Author