SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Any Aussies? Culture for Den. falcorostrum

bcfromfl
16 years ago

Hi everyone --

Haven't been able to post as much as I used to. I try to swing by when I can and lurk, but not much more than that usually, I'm afraid.

After unsuccessfully attempting cultivation twice before with Den. falcorostrum (and having just acquired my third plant), I would like to "compare notes" with someone who is successfully growing it. I found a great link on the Anos.org website with some culture notes, but as was noted in the article, "...while some claim this is an easy orchid to grow I have always found it a bit of a challenge..."

I've already queried the nursery owner from whom I purchased the plant, but I don't agree with his assertion that it can be grown "quite warm" with a cool winter rest to get it to bloom. I believe there's more to it than that. While I'm sure it doesn't require quite the same conditions, as, say, Den. cuthbertsonii, it probably would benefit from some special techniques.

Bummer that we can't e-mail members any longer. CharlesB in San Francisco used to have a spectacular specimen...which offers me some clues as to how it should be grown. I corresponded a bit once with an Aussie here named Keith who had some beautiful falcorostrums as well, and while he was quite knowledgable, I need to expand my understanding a bit. I haven't been able to reach any of the Anos.org officers yet through their website. Hopefully Arthur will chime in here.

I'd prefer to grow it mounted on a large cork slab with some sphagnum, but, if necessary, I'll keep it in a pot. On one web site the author mentioned growing it in pebbles/gravel, and I could go "one better" and keep it in some of my arcillite, which is an irregularly-shaped LECA.

I checked on the climates of Dorrigo National Park and Lamington National Park where the species can be found. Cool temperate rainforests, that can go down to freezing in the winter months. Also, unlike many other dendrobiums, I noted that they tend to grow under dense canopies in relatively shady conditions.

I'd sure appreciate some helpful thoughts!

Bruce C.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz