SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Help me find a replacement washer for under $1000

paulsiu
8 years ago

So my washer bit the dust and I need to replace it. The general consensus is that the most durable washers are Miele and Speed Queen, but both are about $1700+, which I think it's too steep.

My needs are basic. I need a general washer with some sort of internal heater, and a steam mode (useful for stinky towels). The washer should be a front loader.

I look through and notice a few models

Electrolux EIFLS60JIW

LG WM4270HVA

LG WM8000HVA (5.2 cu ft model, since I do a lot of laundry)
Magtag MHW5100DW

Samsung WF42H5000AW

For some reason, I can't find any Bosch in my area. They only carry the tiny washers.

The sales person I talked to so far suggested that LG had the most awards, but I notice issue with warranty service. When I looked up LG, I notice that there are no repair facility nearby even though I live close to a very large city. I called LG and they said that they can still get a repair person, but it would take 5-7 days. Online, people complain that 5-7 days mean 3-4 weeks. Electrolux, Magtag, and Samsung have repair centers close by.

I am edging toward Samsung because there is a sale and I got the impression that all of the brands may have similar reliability.

I am also considering getting the extended warranty. The reason is that this is the second washer that died after less than 4 years. May be we are just unlucky? In any case, I was thinking of getting a warranty that extend up to 5 years (about the longest I can get it). What are your experiences with big chain warranty like Home depot, Lowe HHGreg, ABT, Frys, and Best Buy and Square trade?

Paul

Comments (70)

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

My GE washer was made in Louisville Kentucky! It's not cheap at all. It's good quality for a good price!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I disagree with you Sissy..you do need to keep the door on a traditional top loader open when not in use...mold will grow behind the scenes where you can't see it.

As far as a **good**top loader doing the job for less..what is a good traditional top loader in your opinion?

• Related Discussions

attempting to replace my old under cabinet microwave...help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Weissman beat me to it - I hope GE never discontinues this model because I've used it in 3 kitchens.
    ...See More

Please help me find a washer and dryer that will fit.

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you. It will be right side vented. I would be happy to buy a non GE, if I knew which one would fit. I neglected to say I also do not have a 220 line. I also need to decide on a Miele or Bosch washer. It sounds like there have been problems with both, but I do prefer some of the features on the Bosch that are not on the Miele. Then there is Asko but I think it needs a 220 line. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    ...See More

Pls help me find Modern looking 30x60 apron tub under $700

Q

Comments (9)
    Pipdog, the Architec is a great looking tub. Generally I don't go for a contemporary look but it's different in a bathroom and this tub is just a nice clean design. You will need non-skid strips lest you slip and break your neck. :O Unless they've changed the tub bottom and now have a nonskid surface, it is dangerously slick when wet. It took me one shower to figure that out! However, these strips came to the rescue: Nonskid strips I bought two packs (they're not expensive) and used both on the bottom of my tub. They're translucent and stick like crazy. Two years later, scrubbed, no loose edges anywhere. Enjoy your tub!!
    ...See More

Suggest a gas convection range under $1000

Q

Comments (12)
    To be clear about your situation with kitchen ventilation. debmaureen, do I understand correctly that have an existing recirculating rangehood and you want to know whether to vent that to the outside or get an over-the-range microwaves? There is a ton of info here on hoods if you want to search for it. Using the abbreviation "OTR" for the microwave will help with searching. Generally speaking, the downside to OTRs is that they have flat bases with the vent intakes over the back burners. That means they do not do much of anything for collecting steam etc. from the front burners and a so-so job with the back burners. A hood with any kind of canopy (even a cheap one) will do a much better job of collecting vapors and heat. Also, a fair number of us here do not like OTRs necause we do not like reaching up over our hot stoves to get things in and out the the MW. Whether you go with an OTR or a hood, though, you definitely want outside venting. Your kitchen will be cleaner and less steamy. I gather your stove is on an inside wall and you will need a duct run through or over cabinets? For your question about sealed burners, the answer is that everything you are looking at in your price range will have sealed burners. If you have seen any of the threads here debating about open versus sealed burners, realize that the passionate fans of open-burners there are not even considering the kinds of open burners found on inexpensive major brand stoves. They are talking about the very different, commercial-style open burners on expensive pro-style ranges with prices that start at 3½ times your max budget. On burner sizes, the two stoves you are looking at both have two larger burners that can provide very high heat to largish pans (say, for boiling big pots of pasta) but also can simmer smaller pans. Both have smaller burners which can go very, very low, too. When I had a GE PRofile dual-fuel range a decade ago, I never needed to use double boilers. Apparently, the GE comes with a griddle for the middle burner, too. On cleaning, I haven't used either stove so I cannot help much with information on whether either would be easier to clean than the other. Strikes me as probably a toss-up. Are you getting a white, black or stainless model? There may be some differences there.
    ...See More
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Lets not forget some people like FL'ers...some people have to conserve water..did I mention some people just really like FL'ers.

I looked at traditional top loaders modern day ones and couldn't find a Good one other than a Speed Queen that costs more than a lot of FL'ers on the market. So I guess it all comes down to personal choice and likes.

Sissy..what model of GE do you have? Does it give you true hot water or dubbed down hot? Does it fill FULL for large loads or does it fill half way for a extra large load? Does it give you a true deep rinse?

Curious minds want to know.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

Some of us like our FL's just because they clean far better than an agitator TL. I believe such stellar performance requires an FL washer that:

1) Completely saturates the load in detergent solution, and

2) Tumbles it for a long time (minimum of 1/2 hour is my guess, ideally with an option for longer), while

3) Boosting the temperature to "true warm" or "true hot" if necessary, and then maintaining that temperature.

I think superior cleaning is inevitable under such conditions, because

a) The load is exposed to detergent solution for much longer than in an agitator TL, and

b) The entire load is in near-constant but gentle motion, unlike in an agitator TL.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

This is for sure an ongoing debate. I don't have a FL so I can't get involved in a debate lol...but I seem to think TL rinse better...I hear many people say about how they smell the scent of detergent on their clothes after washing ...why is that? When my clothes are done in my TL there's no detergent scent...and there shouldn't be if the detergent is rinsed out. II've often wondered about this.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

Yeah, rinsing is important too, and varies between different FL's also (number of rinses, amount of water, post-wash spin speed and duration, inter-rinse spin speed and duration). But perception of smell differs among individuals, as shown by the million or so detergent scent threads here. So your observations vs. others' observations of detergent scent may be suggestive, but certainly not definitive. Besides, why do people buy scented detergents if they don't want their laundry to smell? Isn't the scent supposed to linger after washing?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I don't know if its supposed to linger. I've only ever used top loaders and I don't have a lingering scent from detergent normally, every once in awhile I get a tiny whiff when they come out of the washer but usually not. But I've always figured if your clothes look feel and smell clean that's winning the battle. I'm sure not against FL'ers...to many neat freaks here with them that would not tolorate dirty clothes lol. Besides we all know its not just the machine that cleans the clothes it also requires a decent detergent water chem and temp. And Time...FL washers sure provide the time and many the temp which is also a win. I don't know much else about FL washers except I wouldn't mind having a Miele or a slant front Westinghouse from days gone by. lol

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

About detergent...in our pre-FL days, my wife insisted that I buy only Tide liquid, while if it was up to me I would've saved a couple of bucks and bought All or whatever (I didn't care about laundry then). When we went FL (a short stint with an LG, followed by the Miele W4840 we still have), we wanted to stay with free-and-clear detergent, while following online advice about avoiding liquids. Powdered free-and-clear for HE washers wasn't easy to find, and we settled on a pail of Sears Ultra Free at the Sears store where we bought the LG. Returned the LG but kept the detergent, and used it and subsequent pails for a few years in the Miele. Sears isn't the best detergent, yet our clothes and linens came out of the Miele far cleaner than we ever got out of the various agitator TL's that we'd used most of our lives. And this was before I discovered STPP, which I use in my laundry now, but my wife still doesn't. So, detergent does make a difference, but sometimes the washing machine makes more of a difference.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Did you use very hot water with the FL and Sears detergent? I mean hotter than tap hot...I do however believe its more than detergent. ..of course it is. A great detergent and a POS washer isn't giving you the cleanest clothes...but a great washer with a MOL detergent can give good results..so your correct that you need a good washer. FL'ers use less water but they make up for that with longer wash times and hotter water.

I've used many many TL'ers and have always had great results but I've also always prewashed heavy soil loads and I soak almost every load.Its something iI've always done. Is a FL better than a TL..or visa versa..I think you can get beautiful brilliant whites and bright colors that feel soft and smell fresh from both types of machines...if the person using the machines has the knowelage to do do.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

We've gotten good results from our new GE Top Loader.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

Good to hear that, K Sissy. Keep in mind that the new washer probably washes at lower temperatures than your old one. I would avoid cold washes altogether, and wash everything on warm or hot.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

I wash pretty much everything on a cold wash. I guess I am a slacker. But, scalding hot water only serves to wear your fabrics out faster. Do what works best for you.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I wouldn't consider 120degrees f scalding hot...it also wouldn't be to hot for many fabrics and will remove body oils before they have a chance to build up. Cold and cool won't do that.

• 9xvq_dxhq
    8 years ago

I don't get the focus on price wrt to Melie or Speed Queen. If you've replaced your "cheap" washer several times in 6 years, it's not really "cheap" then is it? I mean, if this is the second replacement, and you bought a bottom of the line cheapest top loader, you're still looking at $400 each? So you've already spent $800 and would be getting ready to spend a total of $1200 in 6 years? You can get a Speed Queen top loader for $800. You probably won't have to replace it for over a decade, but even if it only lasts the same 6 years, you broke even on top line price, forget about delivery, installation, haul away, time and hassle costs.

I believe this roughly scales with Miele and Speed Queen FL as well compared to "cheap" front loaders.

I just replaced a Kenmore Elite Oasis top loader because the bering wore out with a Speed Queen top loader and so far so good. I got 7 years out of the Kenmore, so I hope to get a while out of the SQ. Also, when comparing costs, don't forget the extended warranty cost vs the SQ longer Manufacturer warranty. That couple hundred bottom line cost that is missed in comparing the "washer price" to home depot etc makes it even more price competitive in my opinion.

Buying based on price, IMHO, only makes sense if the cheap cost is cheap enough that you're ahead after expected replacements, the newer versions are likely to have features you actually want that you get with upgrades, and the replacement hassle is low. Almost none of this holds true for me with washing machines!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Once upon a time a cheap washer..TL back than ran for 30+ years. No longer true. I think a lot of people still think buy cheap because like grandmas old top loader it will still be working years and even generations from now. This just doesnt hold true any longer. last summer I watched a couple in Sears probably in their 70's looking at Traditional top loaders, and I heard the salesman telling them * Yes this will work as well probably better than your old Maytag...it was a new GE traditional top loader. ..he out right lied to these people. these people were used to a full fill for wash and rinse and true hot water that they won't be getting with the new GE. Ya I think a lot of people buying cheaper washers are because they seek what they have been used to for 40 years. Than there are people thst just can't afford more than 400 ...not everyone can afford a Miele or Speed Queen. And lets not forget SQ doesn't sell out of big box stores....so if that older couple looking for a new washer doesn't see it at Sears it doesn't exist.

No its not very cost effective to be buying a new washer every few years...but that's all some people can afford. I think its much better to help steer someone in the right direction in fixing their current low cost washer or helping them make a better choice on what to buy in their budget . At least for folks that come here asking.

• itguy08
    8 years ago

You don't have to spend ridiculous amounts on a Speed Queen or Miele to get good life out of a washer. They warranty the parts that they do for as long as they do because they are the least likely to fail! I believe CR rates LG as the most dependable brand.

We paid $700 for our Kenmore front loader w/steam and heater made by LG in April 2011. No repairs to this date and its coming up on 5 years now. It replaced a 2003 LG that was running strong but a sewer backup in the basement filled the basement with 3 ft of water. It ran but we were not using the machine ever agin. It needed 2 repairs in its 7 years - hall sensor ($35 part), and fill valves ($50 part). I have no doubt it would have lasted 10+ had it not flooded with waste.

So I don't get the allure to spend $1900 on a SQ or Miele that will last "for 25 years" when I could replace my $700 units almost 3 times in that time period should they wear out. If our KenmoreLG makes it 10 years I'd be close to ahead of the game. No indications it won't.

That being said I'd shop LG, KenmoreLG, maybe even Whirlpool and Electrolux. You should be able to find something with good quality in budget. And skip the extended warranty if you're the least bit handy - these machines are quite simple and with the power of the Internet you can fix things easily.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I have a GE Top Loader Model No GTWN425001WS. It cleans our whites well, our colors well. It rinses well, there is no left over detergent at the end of the cycle. There is no smell. Our water is hot when we have it on the hot cycle. It uses less water than our old washer. We get a full tub of water, It's quieter than old 15yr old whirlpool which my husband repaired 3 times before. We paid about $600.00 at Best Buy. We do laundry for 3 to 4 people 3 to 4 times a week. It's a terrific washer, that I researched before I bought it. It has a stainless steel tub so it can't rust, and it is large capacity. A great washer for a great price that we expect to have for many yrs to come!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Well at one point not too long ago, the cheaper GE or Hotpoint you bought the better chance you had that it was a full fill model. The more expensive were the ones that had the low fill levels or no agitator. Now the way I understand, GE is back with full fill models with 4.2 tubs.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

My first washer, whirlpool was used, and we had it for 17 yr. Our next new washer was a whirlpool that we had for 15 hrs. My husband repaired it 3 times, and we just got this new GE washer. I buy a new washing machine every 15 yrs whether I need it or not LOL. They have all been TLS.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

The GE Electrolux/Fridgedaire deal fell through, so I think that GE is going to be around for a while longer. Buy GE appliances while you can, because they don't have another buyer yet. They're good quality for a reasonable price

• anoop
    8 years ago

Keep in mind that the planned obsolescence is a fairly new phenomenon with appliances. If you have something that is > 7 years old, it was probably built quite nicely. A lot of people that complain about their appliances got them in the last 5 years or so.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

GE used to be a good brand years ago, but has struggled by for quite some time now and what I've read is its debatable i f their newer models will hold up. I had a new GE standard top loader a few months ago..thought I liked it the first day but second day I didn't. Lol.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sissy...my advice is leave your washer door open at all times when not in use.

• 9xvq_dxhq
    8 years ago

@itguy08 Well, yes, if you like changing out your washer every 7 years whether you need to or not, it makes sense to buy a cheaper washer. I pointed out I don't, nor do I think the technology is advancing such that I care to get new stuff for a washing machine either.

The Original post isn't talking about washers lasting 7 years, they're talking about washers lasting less than 4, or about half as often. Suddenly $700 * 6 to get to 25 years isn't cheaper than $1900... it's well over double that. And again, not counting install charges. And apparently you either do no research before buying an appliance, or value your time researching and shopping at $0. Buying a washer isn't like buying groceries - you weren't going to be doing it anyway... except the washer broke. Then again, maybe buying washing machines is your hobby - but I think it's a rare hobby.

Finally, there is one, somewhat nationalistic, reason to buy Melie or Speed Queen, and that's supporting western manufacturing, wages, and working conditions. Some people care about that, many don't. I think it's pretty low down the list for me, but when I can get better quality, similar price point, AND that? I'll go for it if I can afford it.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Hi 9xvq_ dxhq, I know what you mean. I try my very best to buy as much MADE IN THE USAitems as I can. It is getting harder and harder to do it, but I can't stop trying. Sometimes I have to compromise and the best that I can find is assembled in the USA or made in the USA and owned by a foreign company. At least though, Americans are working because of the purchases that I make.

• anoop
    8 years ago

http://laundry.reviewed.com/features/laundro-math-does-it-pay-to-buy-a-washer-and-dryer

"I would have to use my laundromat for 23 years before a cheap washer/dryer combo would pay for itself."

To me, premium washers and dryers are luxury toys.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I never knew that washing machines were such a hot topic!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

ONe load of laundry a week..ls that colors, darks, whites, brights, jeans, towels or bedding? Or does everything get crammed in together, causing whites to become dingy or have color bleed on them, and bed sheets become stinky as there's not enough movement to wash the body oils out..the zippers on the jeans have snagged and torn the bath towels and the towels left lint all over the darks. Dish towels, socks and underwear were left at home because they couldn't possibly fit in this one load...Note to self: replace stinky sheets and towels that were torn, and while out shopping buy new white dress shirts for work since the jeans bled blue dye on them. Stop at big box store while out and order laundry appliances...calculations show I have much more than one load of laundry a week.

And ditch the Extra detergent...i already have plenty of water.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

One load of laundry per week. Sounds like something even a college student wouldn't do!

• itguy08
    8 years ago

@9xvq_dxhq I don't change out appliances as a general rule until something breaks and can't be fixed or I get tired of them. As I said, out past "middle of the road" LG was 7 and still going strong until a sewer flood flooded them (but they still ran). Our new KenmoreLG's are 5 without issue. So I'm not sure where I said to swap them at a certain age. I sure didn't nor would I.

We don't know what machines the OP had previously other than that they didn't last past 3 years. Not blaming the OP but if you are blowing through a washer every 3 years there may be something wrong - be it overloading, overdosing, improper installation, water chemistry, electricity, etc.

Researching appliances is pretty straightforward - decide on budget, features, then pick the ones that do that and look at reliability. I think it took me all of 2 hours to pick our KenmoreLG units - they fit where they went, had a decent warranty, and were in the budget with the features I wanted. But that's all dependent on your research style.

I'd rather buy a good mid level machine with decent reliability and replace as needed vs some high end machine that may last marginally longer or not. Like I said in "the 25 years it lasts", I could replace my $700 unit 2.5 times for the cost of a Speed Queen. If mine lasts 12 years I'm ahead of the game. If it lasts 10 I'm probably going to be even. Less and I'm not. I'll take those odds. You may not. Both are valid.

As for buying domestically produced products, I try to do that too. It's why there are 2 Fords in our driveways, all built in the USA. If that is your priority then the list should be: Whirlpool, GE, Speed Queen, Staber, and their sub brands. If it's supporting "western style manufacturing" then that's fine too but where does it end? FWIW - our KenmoreLG is Made in Korea. Last I heard Korea treats its workers fairly and pays them an honest wage. Seems to fit your rationale for buying Miele too, right?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sissy..I go to the local laundramat once a week to wash ...washable potty pads for my little dog, I use disposable but put the washables under them to be on the safe side...anyway at the laundramat. ..I watch people cramming washers so tight a toothpick wouldn't fit in. There's no way anything in that washer is getting clean even with the detergent they just dump in, a lot of detergent. I'm sure the clothes come out dirty and full of detergent. But that's ok because than they dump a quarter of a bottle of FS in so they have that just washed scent..than into the dryer along with 6 dryer sheets..and did I mention its mixed loads, jeans, whites and towels...I keep my mouth shut but its a struggle, I would love to say something but I know it wouldn't be welcome.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Itguy...you forgot Underdosing lol

• itguy08
    8 years ago

That's how we did laundry throughout college and before our house. 3 loads - Light, dark, and whites. Cram it all into the large capacity front loader at the laundrimat. Drop the roll of quarters into the machine and let it rip. Then into the huge dryers. Our stuff came out clean. No nasty smells or anything.

Now at the house there is a lot more separating going on.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

When my washer died mid-cycle I had to go to the laundromat to complete the load. It cost $4.50 to do a load of sheets. I brought my own laundry soap. I took the wet load home to dry. You could tell that I hadn't done a load since college at the laundromat. I only had a dollar worth of quarters. I'm still laughing at myself over the number of quarters I thought I was going to need.

I did the math, at $900 for my new SQ TL, doing two loads a week, it would take me less than 2 years to pay for the machine. A little longer to pay for water and electricity. At that point I am ahead, plus the convenience of doing the load at home. The payback point is even better if you do more loads. I paid a lot more for my now dead Bosch Nexxt FL. I did get beyond the payback point. But, it took a lot longer.

I will only know if the SQ was the right choice in about 25 years. Stand by.

• 9xvq_dxhq
    8 years ago

I've used laundry mats in college, and in an emergency since. It again, like so many frugal calculations (see /r/frugal lol) seems to think you both have infinite time, and that time is worth nothing to you, and you have literally nothing else you'd need to be / rather be doing than sitting all day in a laundry mat, travelling to and from the laundry mat doing laundry.

But every person's experience will be different. I went SQ because I had a 7 yr old Kenmore Elite. The bearings went. After 7 years. Before that I had a GE Washer that likewise died after about 7 years. That's not terribly acceptable to me. The GE came with the house, so I don't know the specific cost, but I'll estimate it was a cheap $400 one. The Kenmore TL Oasis was $750 iirc, not BOL for sure. And I spent weeks dealing with horrendous noise during spin cycles and worry that it would die or leak or worse at any time.I could have spent a few days trying to change out the bearing myself, or paid Sears something like $500 to fix it. Assuming that actually worked out, I would have saved a little money.

I personally can't pick out anything "big" or that I care about in 2 hours. Sure, I could drive one hour to the appliance store, point to and pay for the first Washer I see and get home in about 2 hours, if I don't stop for lunch say. I wouldn't call that researching anything though.

@itguy08 The final point is that reading online about big box store washer sales, it seems like you and I may have gotten the last decent machines for sale about 7 or so years ago. Newer cheap machines are regularly getting dinged for breaking in less than 5 years, not working well, and all around being a pain. Until you go way up in price, where a SQ TL is at the bottom of that price range.

That plus my experience with these things doesn't give me much confidence that newer machines are likely to last as long as the older ones (outside very select ones), much less longer. My parents got a used Maytag set from my grandmother when I was born, it was 20 years old then. It lasted, with minor work (belts mainly) for another 20 years. Then we got newer machines, and life went down to ~ 7 years each. And now internet reports set expected lifetime at less than 5 years.

So I don't have confidence that my replacement intervals on cheaper machines would be even as opposed to an increasing rate. I could easily imagine something like 10yr, 7yr, 5yr, 3yr on the same brand...

That all said, the pricing I see on TLs is more like 1.5x replacements to a SQ TL. I.e. I'm likely to be paying $750 + $79 delivery + $50 haul away per "cheap" machine, vs $899 + $39 delivery and haul away for the SQ. That's to get a TL with as much options as the SQ TL.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I had to go the laundromat once or twice when my machine was being repaired...I hated it! It was a big waste of my time because I had to wait for the clothes to finish washing and drying. At home, I am doing other things while my laundry is being washed and dried.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

When I was looking for my new washing machine, I did the research, and saw that GE was more reliable and had fewer repairs than whirlpool....better quality. When I was at the store looking at various models, I was talking with the salesperson, before I let her know what I was thinking about (Best Buy), she said that the Samsung FL had the most warranty issues. She said that the motor went out just after the warranty expired. That's functional obsolescence at its best. I also remember hearing that FLS emitted an odor, and that an owner had to leave the door open, so that the odor could dissipate. When showing houses, that would be difficult to explain to potential buyers.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

ALl washing machines will get an odor from mold growing if the door isn't left open when not in use. Leaving the door open helps prevent the growth of mold.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I've never had an odor coming from my TL, but I am going to leave the top up from now on, because of the mold issue, that I never knew of or thought about before.

• anoop
    8 years ago

I agree that visiting a laundromat is painful. For me, the time factor is less of a concern since multiple loads get done at once, instead of sequentially at home. The issue for me is the machines (both washers and dryers) have strong odors from various products of the previous user of the machine (usually used in excess) which then transfer to my clothes (because I use unscented product). Another factor is the dirt/hair that gets stuck in various places in the machines.

Wiping down with a sanitizing wipe helps. I have found things like coins stuck to chewing gum in dryers. I have found what I can only describe as tons of pet hair in a washer, so much that I went to another washer. I would not have discovered these if I wasn't wiping down with a sanitizing wipe.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I'm just glad that I don't have to go to the laundromat now!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sissy...I had a Top load Roper ( Whirlpool made) up until this past Summer...but a year and a half ago I took it all apart to clean between the tubs it was thick with mold. I have a sensitive nose and smell everything yet I never even had a hint of a mold smell. Yes I think FL'ers are more prone to the mold issues or its just noticed faster do to the rubber boot and seals, but yes TL' ers will mold..its a good preventive measure your taking leaving the door open between uses. And unless you already use chlorine bleach I'd run a full empty hot cycle with chlorine bleach once a month as an added step. And be sure todo some loads in hot waternot just cold.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

Not having other people's scents and hair in your laundry: Priceless

Mamapinky is right about mold in TL's. Towels from our last TL, a common Whirlpool-made direct-drive machine, smelled moldy when they got wet in use. We did mostly warm washes and some hot, but we did use liquid fabric softener.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Thanks mamapinkyO. We use chlorine bleach regularly. I'll use hot water more often, when I can, replacing a few loads of the warm water.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I would use hot on whites, towels, and bed sheets...nothing cleans these better than a good powder detergent and hot water

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Hi mamapinkyO,

we use hot water on whites and towels because they are color fast, but I don't use it on sheets because I'm worried about their color fading. I buy mostly white and off white towels so I don't mind using bleach on those. Sheets are a different story for me though. We usually use Arm $ Hammer detergent with bleach in it, if I can get it, fabric sheets in the dryer.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Remember there will be fading over time reguardless. Also remember sheets collect a lot of body oils that require hot or very warm to shift.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I know. Thanks mamapinkyO.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

K Sissy,

See this discussion for an example of a residue-and-mold-infested toploader ... and I've seen worse.

Communal Washer/Dryer Situation

Liquid chlorine bleach (LCB) is what's needed to avoid mold. Bleach in detergent is oxygen bleach. Note that some chlorine bleach products nowadays whiten but are not qualified to sanitize (read the label carefully).

Laundromat (laundry mat is not the correct term) and home-owned washers are typically far from sanitary. Fecal matter and germs are much more common than not in home machines ... public laundromat machines are surely worse considering the anything-and-everything that gets run through them. It's not unheard that college students may defecate and/or urinate in dorm and apartment washers as a prank on the next unsuspecting user.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Thanks dadoes. I didn't know that about the bleach. I'll use LCB, and I hope that I never have to go to a laundromat again, esp now that I know what might have occurred there.