SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

help me make up my mind!!!

User
8 years ago

I know, it's pathetic, asking strangers on Internet to help me decide,but ok, so I'm pathetic. There's this rose nursery here in Tuscany offering two roses that really intrigue me: a truly violet/dark mauve climber called Audacieuse 21 and the TomCarruth rose Outta the Blue. Both are quite rare in Europe; on HMF, I see that there are no nurseries listed as carrying Audacieuse.

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.68915 http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.32125 ( these are the coordinates on HMF for these roses, but I don't know how to turn them into a link)

Now, the problem is, Outta the Blue is only available in a pot; supposedly a large, 6 foot tall specimen. If I go ahead and splurge, the total will come to 68 euros: 18 for the bare-root Audacieuse, 25 for the potted Outta the Blue,and a whopping 25 more for shipping! I guess I feel perplexed because my large tree order from Pistoia that included a well-developed cypress tree about 5 feet tall and a large box containing 11 smaller trees was sent for only 24 euros shipping! However another tree order from a different nursery in Pistoia cost 40 euros for shipping .This, too, was very large: 14 plants,four of which are between 4 and 5 feet tall,5 others are between 1 and 3 feet tall. All of these-from both nurseries- were potted plants. It's a well-known fact that shipping costs can be shockingly high, of course. I suppose I could try going in person to the nursey and pick up the plants myself, but I only drive locally,and don't much feel like accepting the challenge. Going by public transportation might not be do-able and in any case might cost almost 25 euros ,plus can you see me lugging around a six-foot potted plant on buses and trains??? (sad to say, I sort of CAN see myself in this role, though I don't much want to lol ). So, what do you all think? Is it worth the splurge? any ideas on why the shipping costs from the various nurseries might differ so much? the distance is not that great. I can only think that this rose man is not very experienced with packing and shipping plants,and therefore doesn't know how to do it cheaply ,or else that there's a sort of flat fee for large plants,so whether you get one or five you wind up paying more or less the same...

Comments (12)