SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilydilly_gw

Help me make up my mind, please?

lilydilly
15 years ago

I'm having trouble parting with one item, and I honestly don't know if I should or not.

I have a full length leather designer coat, fully lined in synthetic fur, and with genuine fur collar and cuffs. We live in tropical Australia, but I bought this coat for $40 at a second hand shop in Pennsylvania, for our DS's wedding over there. Fairy tale wedding by a log fire with snow on the window sills, but -20 outside. And because there were blizzards on, I lived in that coat while we were there, and on the trip home, even using it as a sleeping bag in the Hong Kong airport. I had to carry it home to get through luggage restrictions, and DH told everyone that I'd brought home a wild buffalo hide. Well, it is certainly big, brown and furry enough to look like one.

Ok, I might only ever wear it again twice or even just once in this lifetime, but we do intend going back to U.S. to visit our DIL's family again, and if DS and DIL leave Aust. to go back to U.S., we'll be visiting them as often as we can then, and so I keep hanging onto it for that reason. I'd never buy one like it here, unless I paid hundreds of $s, it was a special find even over there in snow country. And even if I donated it, there's no one here likely to want it, unless they were going overseas too, and then they'd probably rather a lightweight down parka or something.

I have room to store it, and I might just regret purging this. Or is that silly to hang onto something because we're likely to go overseas again in winter? I think it's a lovely classic style, even though it's probably years old, and it's in brand new condition. Because we don't wear stuff like that here, I have no idea if it is actually dated looking or not. I figure that when we're overseas, it doesn't matter if we look strange, because we're visitors anyway, so can get away with a few eccentricities.... look at Crocodile Dundee. LOL. Do leather and fur coats actually go out of style? Does anyone wear them much? Should I just donate it and replace it with a lightweight down parka too when/if we go overseas again?

Or wear it over there once again, and leave it behind when we come home?

So I'd love to hear your honest opinions please. I just seem stuck on this item. What would you do if you were me? It'll help me make up my mind. THank you all.

I feel a bit of a dill posting this, after just posting about clothes being like food, and I want to get rid of stuff, but maybe a few, a very few clothes are like old wine??LOL

Thank you for helping me make my mind up.

Comments (17)