SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Help me Revamp my Living Room

Carrie B
8 years ago

I'm at the tail end of my total kitchen remodel and I think I've caught the bug. Well, that, and that my living room now looks pretty shabby right next to my sparkly new kitchen in my little open floor plan rowhome.

A little about me: 50 years old (birthday was 10/8!) live alone, two cats, casual, comfortable home. I plan to stay in this house for another 20 years or so. I rent out my guest room to Airbnb travelers, one or two at a time. They have access to common areas, but don't generally spend a lot of time in the living room, though some are friendly enough that I do hang out there with them. I entertain (casual, potluck) a few times a year.

I love my existing coffee table (oddly rectangular shaped 47") and my two wooden captains chairs, so hope that they'll work in whatever design I end up with. The couch is 82", and I'm thinking it may make sense to replace it with a smaller couch or even a love seat. I've had the couch in five(!) different locations in the LR, and think the existing spot, against the front wall, makes the most sense.

So, goals for my living room: comfortable and pretty. I also could really use better storage. I just gave away an annoying cabinet that was to the right of the fireplace, and am thinking that replacing it with a small hutch like this one could be perfect: I have cook books & gardening books I need to find a place for, as well as some pretty pottery pieces I'd like to display. I also need some closed storage: stationary, office supplies, etc. A hutch with both closed & display storage could be perfect.

I'm going to attach some photos as well as my first floor layout. Am open to any suggestions. To start, I'd really like to figure out optimal furniture purchases/layout. After that, I'll worry about decorating (ps: much of my art is still stored in the basement while kitchen remodel finishes up.)

First floor layout: entire footprint of my home is approximately 12' x 25'.

Standing in the kitchen, looking toward LR & front door:

Standing at bay window:

Standing near front door:

Standing near fireplace:

Comments (102)

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I like the hutch!

Maybe a mantle over the fireplace? And a picture? Then (if it were me) I'd still replace those two small chairs with a larger chair and ottoman :)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Laughable - OK, I'll think about it. There really is no place else for the chairs. Even one small chair won't fit in the guestroom without it obstructing the path to at least one side of the full sized futon bed. In my bedroom, there's the rocking chair that my mom nursed me in. Are we sensing a pattern here? A rocking chair that serves exactly zero purpose(s). So, sometimes it takes me a while to come to things. Plus, I think I am out of money. ;-)

Rocking chair where Carrie_B suckled at her momma's breast:

bpathome - do they make flat(ter) plugs? I thought of that, but have never heard of them. We've got maybe an inch. Yup, kitty door to the basement. Litter boxes are down there, you know, when they're not in the guest room due to construction...

Lavendar_lass - I do like the idea of a mantle, and maybe a different or another piece of art. The chairs, while smaller than an upholstered chair are really not especially small... hmm. What can I put them near for scale? Oh, here's one with an 8.5 x 11" piece of paper.

• Related Discussions

Help me Furnish & Decorate My Living Area &Dining Room of my new home

Q

Comments (26)
    I love the clean, uncluttered look of your home and you've made some great furniture choices. My first thought, though, is that I would try to rework the sofa/sectional placement. It really is unwelcoming looking to me to have the back where it is facing a wall, when it could be oriented to look into the room and out the windows. It seems like if it were placed in the corner under the stairs that it would feel open and invite you to come in and sit. I'd hate to be cooking in the kitchen and have the family or guests with their backs to me. If you are having a TV in another room close by, do you need one in that room, too? If, so placing a 70" unit will probably only work as you have it. But, to me, it's not going to look like a living room but more like a movie theater, which is fine if that's what you're going for. It seems like it won't be a cozy conversation area, though. I might actually flip the rooms and put the dining room where you have the sofa now. I was looking at lights used with dining rooms and ghost chairs and saw this, maybe would work in the living room? Kind of fun. don't know if it would look as good without the colored walls though. And I thought something like these were interesting to consider for over your table:
    ...See More

Help me fix /decorate my my living room into Eclectic and yet cosy.

Q

Comments (34)
    Don't move the credenza then. Get an area rug, center one group of seating around fireplace and conversation and then maybe get a tea cart or something and put a small chair or two around that near the doors/windows to the outside. You can sit and sip your tea and watch the birdies outside there in the winter! When the weather gets nice you can carry the chairs out to the deck to sit in the sun! Then roll the cart out there with some cocktails later in the day!
    ...See More

Help me pick art for my living room + dining room!

Q

Comments (10)
    No, I don't think it would look awful. I love big art pieces. The important thing though is do YOU like it? It's your home and it's important that it please YOU. Looking at your picture, I'm wondering if the art above the sofa isn't a tad big for that wall. (I really like it, btw.) Usually, the eye appreciates some breathing room around art. If you have painter's tape, try taping out that canvas' size above your couch and see just how much wall it covers. That might help you visualize its negative space better. Good luck and enjoy the process!
    ...See More

Updated: "Help me decorate my living room - Desperate help needed!"

Q

Comments (1)
    I see a few things that aren’t horrible, by any means, but could be changed. Mirror and sideboard, for instance, as mirror is too large for the sideboard and it overwhelms the room, reflecting the t v. Try the art over the sideboard and add a floor lamp where the plant is, as it will do double duty for the sofa and the art. Have you ever thought about adding a floor to ceiling strip of trim to separate the dining area from the living area and painting that wall a color? Something like this with a couple of white shelves on that wall?
    ...See More
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I'm still cracking up at the thought of you suckling :p

SO is equally sentimental about things, so I get it. It's been a long road getting him to let me clear certain things out.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I wouldn't overthink it. I'd do built-ins on either side of the fireplace. That space is screaming for it. Get a smaller couch and an area rug in front of the fireplace and call it a day. And I'd need a runner rug from the entry along the bay window side of the room, because I'm always tracking stuff in. Oh, and I'd put a tablecloth in the little table, just to give myself a break from all the dark wood pattern. If you need more light over in the fireplace corner, install a hanging light, or light sconces on either side of the fireplace. I had that in my last house. Or you can get a tall floor lamp with a small footprint, I have one in my current house. You can see it in this picture. That tall thing to the right is a lamp. I don't particularly care for that one, it's on loan from my landlady, but you could find something like it only nicer.

Carrie B thanked l pinkmountain
  • bpath
    8 years ago

The rocking chair is charming, the image had me guffaw! Ya know, it might work downstairs... Or is it comfortable?

So, slightly smaller clean-lined sofa (I like a skirt because it hides the cat hair) in front of the window and across from it, the two captains chairs with the stool between? Simple, elegant (as in, exactly what's needed, no overkill) in keeping with the house's character, and what you already know works.

Put one of your sister's colorful pieces above the cabinet.

Once all the kitchen and bath decisions are over with, you can move the furniture once a week and share pics for everyone, you know we will chime in (we just can't help slide the chairs around)

Carrie B thanked bpath
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh, and PS, I still have the rocking chair from when I was a baby too. I don't sit on it very often but I can't get rid of it. Your chair is lovely, looks comfy. Oh,and as you can see, I had a big honkin' non-functional fireplace (pictured above) taking up valuable wall space in my tiny home, so I feel your pain. The only purpose my fireplace had was to make me look at it and think, "Gee it would be nice to have a fire." Most of the other places in my row house neighborhood had torn theirs out. I sometimes pondered electrifying it, but couldn't bring myself to commit to flipping a switch to turn on the fire.

• tuvisu7
    8 years ago

Here're my thoughts on the subject--

The big gray couch should go. I really like the smaller one
    Mayflowers found, if you want a replacement. What looks the most glaring to me about your room is the many wall colors in a small space. I would choose one neutral color (such as a buttery cream color) for all the walls in your LR. Then your bottles, pottery, light fixtures, art, wood pieces, etc, would show up as accents instead of clutter. A wooden beam for a mantle would look nice, and you could hang a print or mirror above it or rest one on it. I agree with the suggestion to get a roller shade instead of the drapes to lighten the feel of the room. Place main seating facing the focal point of your room (window or FP) and secondary seating at right angles to that piece. Little sofa facing fireplace and captains chairs with little oval table (or coffee table) between them as a set at right angles to it. or to make it more open, put the loveseat in front of the window and use the wooden chairs with table between across from the fireplace. Use some matching throw pillows on the loveseat and chairs. A rug might unify and define the space, and you can still use your coffee table. Keeping your color scheme and patterns to a minimum will make the room seem peaceful and less cluttered. For example, I'd maybe paint the walls cream (or the same color as the kitchen) and you have a lot of nice brown with the floor and chairs. Go with a lighter colored rug and loveseat without a busy pattern and choose a color that coordinates with some accessory you love to use for the chair and couch pillows. Maybe blue like your bottles or orange like the light fixture, or a color from one of those pictures by the couch. The table and lamp on the right of the window look crowded in. I suggest taking them out, and if you need light in that corner, a wall-mounted lamp would be good, or Maybe replace with a floor lamp or a table lamp that is lower profile. It shouldn't stick out in front of the art. You have a lot of potential for a makeover with what you have. It would be fun to be there to move stuff around to get a better feel for it. :)

I hope you don't mind a stranger happening by with suggestions. Wish you well!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tuviso7 - years ago, I hired an interior designer for a one time consultation. At that point, I think that my walls were all white. She said that the brick fireplace, with white walls on either side looked choppy, and that painting those small walls on either side a brick red color (she picked the color out of my Sherwin Williams paint deck) would help to unify the space, and she also suggested carrying the red color as an accent to the bay window (again, unifying the space.) I do agree with her about the fireplace wall(s.) (ps: I realize that each side looks really unbalanced right now - there's a big mobile that usually goes on the left, that was taken down for kitchen construction & hasn't gone back up yet.)

I do agree that I should get another couch, the green one (which looks grey on your monitor) is too big. Just as a point of reference, my couch is 82", considered "apartment sized" in most places I look. It's actually a smallish couch as far as couches go - so I'll probably need a loveseat rather than a couch. There are a few in the 72" range, but those are almost loveseats.

Good point about the little table & lamp looking crowded by the couch. Thanks for your help!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I think you can get roman shades top down, bottom up. Google pulls up hunter douglas and levelor when I search for that. I think a too down bottom up roman shade would be a good choice in that spot of google is right.

I think a love seat or very small sofa in the same spot as your current sofa would be a good choice. We talked about smaller arms in a previous thread and I would keep that in mind when choosing.

I think built ins make a lot of sense. Even if they aren't what would have been there originally, I think they would provide the most storage in the most streamlined way. And both of those things would be good for your tiny and adorable space.

I definitely hear you about loving the existing wooden chairs. If they are important to you and make you happy, then it doesn't really matter what the rest of us think. We talked in a previous thread about slipper chairs. If you decide you want upholstered chairs there. I would look at slipper chairs.

Have be you thought anymore about Palimpest's suggestion on your previous thread to enclose the entryway? I think it is a really good idea for the reasons he gave. It would give that sofa a sense of protection. And depending on how you did it, you could use the divider as a side table for the sofa.

How would you feel about a glass or acrylic see through coffee table?

• User
    8 years ago

Carrie, this is too much fun and you've been a good sport!

While reading tuvisu's post I remembered that one thing hasn't been brought into the equation--the orange cork kitchen floors that haven't been revealed yet. I know you've talked about paint colors in the kitchens forum. I really think you should reconsider bringing the green color onto all the walls, or maybe a slightly lighter color on the strip. I think it'd make the fireplace pop (the orange makes the wonderful beams disappear), solve the problem of the bump-out wall, look great with the new pendants, and be a good neutral for new furniture. I agree with tuvisu that one color will make your collections special instead of the wall color being the focal point. Then you could leave the inside of the bay window orange for a little surprise and to reference the cork floors.

One minor thing--at least I hope it's minor!--I'd remove the overhead track lighting now that you have pendants. It does distract from them.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Crl_ - thanks, I'll look for those shades! I also like the idea of smaller arms, both the look and comfort. Will keep built ins in mind for the next indoor construction project - roofing & stucco repair come next.

I've thought a lot about Palimpsest's suggestions, and, while I like a lot about it, I keep coming back to the feeling that it will enclose the place too much & divide it up in a way that will make it feel smaller. I haven't ruled it out completely for the future, though.

A glass or acrylic coffee table would work... except for the way I use my coffee table - which is almost constantly covered with clutter. :) I clean it up for company, so, it would look nice, then...

Mayflowers - awwww. I feel like I'm constantly coming on here (well, mostly kitchens) for advice, and then arguing with every piece of advice so generously offered for free.

Oh, my cork floors aren't orange at all - they're a greyish brown! Here are photos of the sample on the wood floor, and on the paper floor protector (I know the color looks really different in each photo...)

I'll keep in mind your suggestions for color, though I'm not planning to do that any time soon. Oh, and the track lighting... I use it to highlight art on the walls (each of the five tracks points to a different piece,) if I can figure out another way to show off the art, I'll definitely consider it.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I think if I were you, I'd start with a different window treatment, top down bottom up roman shades if they are indeed available, and a new smaller sofa/loveseat. See how you like the room with those changes. Then you can decide what else, if anything, to change. It seems to me like those are the two ideas you feel most sure about.

(edited to add that I do agree you should consider the possibility of bringing to sawdust wall color over from the kitchen. )

Carrie B thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Crl_ agree about the shades and the sofa. I've been spending lots of time Online. I like the idea of the top down/bottom up, but really can't find any in a roman with a nice texture - I might end up with plain old Roman shades, which is fine. Also will look at the couch.

As to the color... well, it'll be rolling around in my brain as a possibility.

• Houseofsticks
    8 years ago

If it were mine, it's very charming btw:

I'd get a bigger table, yes bigger. One to accommodate all your chairs. I'd paint the 2 to match and leave the 2 better styled au natural.

Or I'd consider a pop up table or slide out that sits partially on top of your bay ( you'd probably need to purchase new stools for height difference but both could be moved out of the way.

Hang you mobile in the bay.

Hang your couch rug on the fireplace, remove the negative space pic/tree(?) as it visuall breaks up the space.

Paint it all out in a cohesive color.

consider putting the couch on an angle with a centered rug and keep the coffee table if it's too big then purchase a new smaller couch with an upholstered footstool. Remove all side tables. Possibly a C table, make simple bookshelves on either side of the fireplace with open space for the extra chairs or to slide your footstool out of the way or counter top it in wood to accommodate your printer and some squirrel away space and provide.

put the lighting on a dimmer or get wall sconces for additional light if needed.

if the room can handle it get a rug to center the couch, coffee table and 1 chair with either a wooden footstool or small table on casters to roll away under your bookshelf area.

These may seem off the wall but I love studying small space design. Thanks for posting.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Is that art above the new curio cabinet? It's just unbalanced now. Hang the big beige art behind the table lamp on the other side of the fireplace. Then you'll have orange showing up at the top equally on both sides of the fireplace. You might have to re-arrange the art of the couch/window wall to be more balanced. Having art hanging at different heights give a cluttered effect to the mind as it tries to take it all in. And I love the orange wall!

• tuvisu7
    8 years ago

Thanks, Mayflowers, for understanding my midnight design ideas. I think you expressed it better. Even if it was a professional that suggested the brick colored wall, it does swallow up the beams. :-)

pinkmountain has a good point about the art.

If you change the couch, window treatment and wall color, your little living room will feel much more happy and relaxed.

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

You could get a floor lamp on the left side corner of the room looking straight at the fireplace, remove the table, buy a C table for your laptop, that will loosen up the necessity for a corner table. Move the art to that corner, add a 5 by 8 rug under the coffee table. Just this will make a huge difference.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, houseofsticks. I appreciate your suggestions I'd considered a bigger table & cut out cardboard in a circle 6" bigger, and it was too big & looked out of scale. A table in front of the bay would obstruct the front door.

Couch definitely will not fit at an angle - see above posted home dimensions. It really is small. I like your suggestions - some of them won't fit in my space.

pinkmountain - that painting is just stuck there for now. I'm really trying to nail down furniture before I put the art back up from the kitchen remodel. Most of my art is still in the basement, and I actually really enjoy the visual interest of art hung at different heights, and clustered in groups.

I'm definitely planning to change the couch and the window treatment. For now, the color is staying as is, since I really like it. I may change my mind eventually. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!

• katrina_ellen
    8 years ago

I like the wood chairs and think they suit your house, but I would want some cushions for the bottoms to make them more comfortable. Do you really need side tables for the couch since you have a coffee table? Except to hold a lamp they may not be needed. You could use one table lamp and one floor lamp and reduce it down to one side table. I have always wondered about the wall lamps and what kind of light they would provide. I have thought about it for my space but the way I switch furniture around I wouldn't want it hardwired. One comfy loveseat and the two chairs ought to work well for you. I also think a rug, either under the coffee table, or a larger size one would be nice - but area rugs do cut up the space in a small room so a smaller size under the coffee table may work best. I also like the idea of the stool between the chairs, that would serve a dual function. There have been so many good ideas but good for you for thinking about them all and considering foremost how you need the space to work for you - that's so important in a small space. I think my living room and kitchen are about the size of yours but I have a wall with a doorway and pass thru window that divides the spaces. Its a challenge, especially the kitchen - its in need of a major re-do to make it more functional. Some day. Congrats that you were able to do it. I love the character your home has. Old houses are great for that.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Oh yes, I like a jumble of art too. It's just that looking at the fireplace, you have one huge orange blob on one side and hardly any orange showing on the other. It just looks unbalanced, so less restful to the eye. Not a huge problem, since as you say, you're still developing the room and will be playing around with a lot of the elements.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ah. Remember that art is not yet hung back on walls post kitchen remodel... Just like piles of papers aren't put away and kitty litter box is in the guest room. You're looking at piles of stuff, not placed items...
  • User
    8 years ago

I'd be tempted to use a couple of Candice Olson's tricks, such as mirroring the niches on each side of the fireplace and using a small scale sectional sofa w/projection coming out on frontdoor side with a narrow sofa table along it's back with lamp(s).

I also would use WT's across window wall .

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, chijim. The two sides of the fireplace are different dimensions (see to scale drawing, with measurements, above) so any "mirroring" would be approximate. Also, I have yet to see any sectional anywhere that isn't bigger than my sofa, the smallest sectionals I can find are significantly larger. If you look at my dimensions, a table would not fit behind a sofa without putting the sofa in front of the fireplace. Also, what is a "WT"?

• User
    8 years ago

If you look at my dimensions, a table would not fit behind a sofa
    without putting the sofa in front of the fireplace. Also, what is a
    "WT"?

I meant on the backside of sectional the projects towards your kitchen as you walk in your frontdoor...it would be on the left side.

If budget allows, you could do a custom sectional to fit your available space.

WT - window treatment(s)

ETA: My LR is only 11.5ft wide and my sofa is only 34"s deep.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

chijim - I'm still not sure where you'd fit the table? On the window wall? Near the bay window?

Ah, window treatments. You mean you'd have curtains on that entire wall, even in places where there's no window? I'd rather use that space for art!

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Surely there has to be some place where you can get small, to-scale furniture for your house! My aunt and uncle bought a lovely small couch a couple of years ago--red leather. It was so cool. I know they looked and looked for it though, went through a lot o searching.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I pinkmountain - of course I can! I just don't think a sectional can realistically count as small furniture.

• User
    8 years ago

Carrie B

chijim - I'm still not sure where you'd fit the table? On the window wall? Near the bay window?

Ah, window treatments. You mean you'd have curtains on that entire
    wall, even in places where there's no window? I'd rather use that space
    for art!

I suggested WT's for the entire window wall to simplify., because w/art there is a lot going on w.that wall visually.

Here's my idea using a sectional and sofa table.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ah, thank you, chijim, for the visual. I'm thinking it makes sense to go smaller rather than larger than my current sofa, but I could be wrong about that. I hear you about visual simplicity. I tend to like having stuff to look at on the walls, but understand that lots of people prefer the simple in that regard.

• amykath
    8 years ago

Carrie B, Here is a link I saw on Houzz about decorating small spaces. I though it might help give you ideas. Check you local Craigslist for items like a small sofa or whatever things you might want that you can get for a great steal!

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-ways-to-make-your-place-feel-more-spacious-stsetivw-vs~51229998

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aktillery - thank you! I actually read that article in my hours (seriously!) of googling small living room decorating ideas. Your timing is impeccable - your post came in just as I was posting this over on kitchens.

For the time being, I've ordered a Roman shade (clearance) for the window. I've decided on holding back on spending any real $ for the time being (but I'll take a look at the Macy's sale.) Here's my in-process living room this morning.

As you can tell - I really don't go for simple... :)

• amykath
    8 years ago

I like the art over the fireplace and your other piece above the new cabinet your purchased. Keep us posted!! I love your home and your kitchen is lovely!!!

Carrie B thanked amykath
  • User
    8 years ago

A smaller sofa and shade will make a world of difference. The art is nice. There's your entire downstairs color palette in the two paintings.

Carrie B thanked User
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I was looking for something else and saw this loveseat and thought of your thread.

It's From crate and barrel.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Ikea Stocksund or the Ektorp love seat, both with slip cover.

• User
    8 years ago

Two settee's facing one another: http://houseandhome.com/video/small-yet-grand-townhouse/

ETA: If you have AdBlock activated you won't be able to see the video.

Carrie B thanked User
  • bpath
    8 years ago

The artwork over the cabinet and fireplace look wonderful, like inspiration art for the whole space (even the brick). The large artwork on the left obscures the brick-red paint and distracts from the pretty mobile (love mobiles!). It's really a great piece, needs more space around it to shine and no competition like lamp and mobile. perhaps it can go somewhere else?

Can it go in the stairwell, so as you start up the stairs you see it on back wall? I know it seems like a hiding spot, but it's light, open feel might open up the space and serve as a ".window"? (Not a transom lol!) Perhaps the stairwell wouldn't work, it's just off the top of my head.

Or, at the top of the stairs as you come into the upstairs hall? But I imagine that that is a tiny vestibule-type space with doors, not much wall, right? Time to decorate upstairs! (See, project creep!)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, crl_. That sofa is formal for my taste, but those general dimensions might work!

Nosoccermom - thanks. There's an IKEA by me, I can check them out when I'm ready for sofa shopping.

bpathome - the mobile may end up going over the kitchen window. I haven't decided for sure, yet... The stairwell really can't accommodate art - shoulders brush against the walls going up & down... Yeah, there's a vestibule type area on the 2rd floor - bathroom door straight ahead, guest room to the right & "dressing room" to the left - no wall space except for narrow bands around the doors. But I do get your point. That piece may move to the guestroom (or something) at some point.

• amykath
    8 years ago

chijim, I love that townhouse. Thanks for posting! Great eye candy!

• amykath
    8 years ago

I just was perusing our CL bc my husband needs a sofa for his office. Found this one for 40.00!!! Hard to beat.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi all,

I wanted to stop in to give a quick update, and to thank you all so much for your help & advice.

For the time being, I've decided to hold off on purchases for the LR with the exception of a Roman shade (thanks for that suggestion!) on clearance at JCPenny, which came to under $50 with shipping. I think the Roman shade is soooo much better than the panels, and it never would have occurred to me on my own, so I particularly appreciate that input.

I kept the furniture pretty much as is, and took folks' advice here about re-arranging some artwork. I also switched out the little desk table that was crammed between the couch & the wall for a smaller table I had on hand.

I have a couple of rugs that might work for the LR, at least for the time being, but have not brought them back out yet. The rugs I have are rectangular. Do you think an oval rug would be better?

It's still a work in progress, and there's still clutter. The clutter is getting better, but my life is still kind of in upheaval and the kitchen is not completely done, so there's paint and stuff around and I'm not so inspired to organize the place until I can organize ALL of it.

When I decide it's time to invest, I may replace my couch with a smaller couch (or a love seat) and also buy a rug (if mine don't work.) Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the furniture and the layout, but with all your suggestions spinning around in my head, I may come around on some of that, eventually.

So... this was supposed to be a quick update & I just wrote a novel... I'm still open to suggestions (even if I usually argue with them :) ) about the LR in general. I really do appreciate it, and even if I did come on here asking for advice & knocking it down one piece at a time, I really do appreciate it and think about it over time.

ps: the tablecloth is temporary - workers have a way of putting their tools down on any flat surface, so it's to protect the wood (no, I'm still in love with wood.) :)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

The shade looks great! Thanks for the update.

Carrie B thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • amck2
    8 years ago

It's looking so nice! Really like the shade.

It's easy to lose heart waiting for the last items to be completed, but you've managed to work around the remodel "stuff" & still make progress.

As bpathome said - Cozy & welcoming ;-)

Carrie B thanked amck2
  • Jillius
    8 years ago

It must be such a treat to have your living room back. The sheer novelty of having all the furniture and walkways you use regularly back in action!

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I love that little wooden stool/table between the two wooden chairs. I just love wood, period!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

That Roman shade makes a huge difference. Everything looks so much fresher without the clutter by the windows. It's such a darling little space and, yes, very cozy and welcoming. :)

Carrie B thanked funkycamper
  • katrina_ellen
    8 years ago

I was hoping you would come back and show us the WT you decided on. I would like to do something similar in my room but it has a picture window which would be 3 separate shades and one other window - so its not cheap to do all that. It looks great and most of all it looks comfortable. I love all the color in your artwork - I do love art and you have managed to fit in quite a bit for a small space. Looks like a great space to hang out in.

Carrie B thanked katrina_ellen
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Katrina - I have a half a dozen or so pieces of art I can't find a place for! I have a lot of new storage space in the kitchen, now, but at the expense of expanses of wall for art. I'm trying to decide if I can edit it down... I know that resting space for the eyes is good, ohhhh, but what to do with the art???

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville