SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dominos

Input on addition/remodel design for small house on pie lot

dominos
8 years ago

Hello -

Posting here (even though we are remodeling, not building) as I am looking for design advice and there is such a wealth of knowledge on this board. We are interviewing designers and architects but I generally know what options we have with this home (we paid for a design for a smaller remodel we never did in 2011) and I want to get as far as I can myself this time to be more decisive/focused and make the process efficient.

Background: We are a family of 5 (kids ages 7, 12, 15) embarking on a major addition and remodel. No, it is not cheaper for us to just move in our area. We are remodeling for ourselves (not resale) and will for sure be here 7-10 more years, may rent it out after that. We know this will be expensive and we have saved the money.

Goals:

- Dedicated master bath (we share with 2 kids) and kid bath

- Larger more open kitchen with storage and island seating

- Keep a family room and a living room so there is kid space (video games!) and adult space

- Maximize light/view/connection to outdoors which are all in the back of house (front lacks privacy and light most of day).

Challenges:

- sloping lot (both ways)

- pie shaped lot with house already violating side setbacks so need to step in any back addition

- max addition of 375 sq feet (home is 1936).

- want to keep master upstairs (better light, slightly higher ceilings and don't really want to be under my kids).

Below is the existing site and floor plan and the 2 options ("B" and "C") we are considering. I think they are comparable costwise. (NOTE: Plans B/C are options I drew on Paint and are therefore the addition sketches are not to scale. But I have pencil sketched them to scale so they are realistic.)

1) Any thoughts/preferences on the floor plans and how they might play out in real life?

2) Ideas I am missing? Crazy things jumping out at you?

Appreciative and grateful for any input...

Existing Home:

Option B (above)

Option C (below)

Site Plan (with old front addition notes - ignore):

Comments (10)