SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gzehnder

Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget

Grant
9 years ago

I bought my first home three years ago and had grand plans to make it my own. The home was built in 1927. It is 2 bedroom, 1 bath, and has an unfinished upstairs attic/room (narrow steep stairs access this room and will have to be moved in the remodel). It is approximately 900-1000 sq ft and is on a good sized lot in a desirable part of town. If I had to define the style I would say it is a cottage/bungalow style with an arched porch and big arched window facing the street. Over the last three years I have slowly made upgrades and improvements, but have reached the point where a major addition/remodel is all that's left. The house is set up perfectly to add a master suite (bed and bath) upstairs and extend off the back with a open living room-kitchen concept. I am thinking the addition will add about 700-900 sq feet to the house. Although I have a general idea of how things will lay out, I am looking for someone to help me with the specifics, especially on the design/layout. Things like, where to move the stairs, where to add space for washer dryer, layout of kitchen, etc. Since I am on a limited budget, I cannot afford to hire an architect do the whole nine yards. My hope is to give someone a scale drawing of my current house and lot along with the proposed addition and get some very basic advice on how things should lay out or where they should go from a design standpoint. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals