SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buildingcasavega

Long time listener, first time caller...floor plan review

buildingcasavega
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have been prowling this forum for quite some time and am now finally ready to make my first post. We are getting closer to finalizing our floor plan and we would like to get any feedback from the smart folks in this forum.

We are building a 4,250 home with a walkout basement. Our primary goal is to maximize the main floor and make the basement only as big as needed. We are primarily one floor living people. If our lot wasn't so perfect, we actually would have built a single story home, but we chose a view over a flatter lot.

We are fairly set on the size of the rooms as we have similar size rooms in our current home and our furniture fits perfectly...it more placement of rooms and flow that we would love feedback on. I hope that the pics aren't too small to read...I am new at this whole forum posting business. If so, I will attempt to make it bigger.

Please let us know what you think. Thank you in advance!

Comments (26)

• chisue
    8 years ago

Not sure why you'd build more house than you want, or have two levels when you only want one... I'd change that killer (no landings) staircase.

I don't understand a laundry near BR #2 -- far from the Kitchen (where I am when I do laundry) and from the MBR (where our laundry originates).

The MBR suite is hard for me to understand. Do you leave the MBR and go into a hallway to get to the MBA, then go through a toilet room to access closets? Do you have a huge shower *with a window*? (Building somewhere warm?) There's a lot of 'nothing' in the middle of the MBA.

Who is living in BR#2, where the bath has two sinks?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

What is your family size? Who is living here? Ages?

First it's too small for me to read measurements. Sorry so I'm not sure of how big each room is.

It appears you do a lot of entertaining by the way your kitchen is laid out?

My first comment would be I like the overall layout of the first floor but wonder why you need a bathroom that is almost as big as your master bedroom? Agree with chisue about the shower. Brrrr even in a warm climate. Also wonder why you need such long vanities?

Agree about the double vanity in the second bedroom on main floor unless it's for parents who live with you?

Again agree about laundry being so far from everything.

• Related Discussions

What do you plan to try for the first time next year?

Q

Comments (29)
    Hi there tomato growing friends! My list for 2015 is still in the works. I'm checking out what has already been posted. Some varieties I'm familiar with. Others I am not. I grow tomatoes from seed as a hobby. I wish I could do it year round but the weather/climate never cooperates. I try and select my varieties based on it's history. For example for 2015 I hope to germinate and grow the "Purple Calabash". Why? Well it happened to be Thomas Jefferson's favorite. He grew it on his farm in Monticello from 1806 to 1822. This past year I grew Livingston's Paragon which was the 1st tomato introduced to the public and commercial growers here in America back in 1870. It took him 20 years to perfect it. Ok it would be great if when you are adding your list for 2015 you could indicate why you chose a certain variety. It might be impossible to do it for all but even if you just picked out the one that interests you the most. I think by doing this it would add to the joy that this thread has created.
    ...See More

First post, first time home design review request

Q

Comments (30)
    Oh, that's wonderful Summerfield! I wish I could just build that almost as you have drawn it! Unfortunately, I've got some restrictions I have to work within due to the lot I have and city setbacks. I've been reading "The Not So Big House" book (loving it, thanks for the recommendation minneapolisite) and was looking at some new ideas from my original layout. **This is pretty rough** and there's a bunch I really don't like on it just yet, but I wanted to give an update. What I like most about my latest update is more windows in the main living area on the south side of the house and all three living areas having direct windows instead of the dining room being sandwiched into the middle of the house. I also like the shared entry so that the 'nice' entry doesn't end up being for guests only. I hate the way I have the pantry laid out, but I do like the idea of a good sized pantry with room for the chest freezer (currently in the basement in our house today). Also, this opens up the living room for a bit more space. My favorite things about the plan you've drawn, Summerfield, are both of the bathrooms, laundry and master closet. Those are the areas I'm struggling the most with. (as well as the whole bedrooms side of the house...) We may have a small television in the kitchen, and temporarily in the living room, but once the basement is finished we would only have the kitchen tv. So no need to build a dedicated spot for it on the first floor. Site Plan:
    ...See More

First floor plan review requested

Q

Comments (11)
    Garage: How cool that you have a 3-car garage, but only 2 bays dedicated to cars! That means all the bikes etc. will not scratch up the cars. You might want to make that door extra wide or a double-door to accommodate the in-and-out of bikes, and golf cart if you get one for FIL and MIL to cruise the property. You might want to build it so that you can, perhaps, add a garage door if the kids get a car...it's not long off! Mudroom: I agree with the mudroom being mostly hooks; no one uses the closet in our house, only the hooks; I'm planning to take out the closet but keep cabinets for the "stuff": batteries, sunscreen, bug spray, caps, etc. Inlaw suite: Perhaps put the door on the back of the mudroom wall, instead of flush with the soon-to-be-gone closet door. Makes a little more of an entrance, so it looks less like a closet from the hall. This might allow the door to open further to accommodate the wheelchair. You might want to include an egress, just in case. Also, where is the accessible entrance to the house, a ramp? You could quietly incorporate it along the garage to the front porch, if you pull the porch and posts out a bit and if you don't have a step from the porch into the foyer. Remember to add a window, perhaps a French door for egress, facing the back yard for the in-law's room. Basement: Include a bathroom in the basement for the kids, it'll be great for sleepovers. FR: I kind of don't mind the dead space between the island and FR; the kids can make a mess there without getting it on the FR furniture, or they can just gather without being on the island, and it opens up the flow. Library: How do you plan to use the library? Maybe add a window to the side? It could be a high window with bookcases below. Maybe a window in the turn of the stairs, too. Seems like a nice family house :)
    ...See More

First draft house plan, long time lurker

Q

Comments (14)
    I think the first thing that hit me was the open living, dining, kitchen area, which will be a space where all sounds, sights and smells will pervade everywhere. Will it be where your young children play and where their toys will be stored and out on the floor? Said differently, this plan doesn't look like one where long-term, age-in-place living can take place, but beginning with young children. The fact that there is a bedroom adjacent to the kitchen suggests that you may have living needs and preferences you haven't described. It's an unusual location for a bedroom. If an angled garage is good, then angle it in the opposite direction to keep it from being a negative visual element of the front elevation. And of course, passive solar design depends on windows (lots of them) with properly designed roof overhangs, arbor/trellis designs or other shading devices. We don't see any of those. Finally, for someone highly regarded with over 30-years experience, designing with a process which only produces one floor level at a time is very suspect, since proper architectural design, especially for a passive solar house, is conducted by looking at site planning, floor plan options, elevations and roof plans all simultaneously. That's because a decision in one of these areas directly affects all the other areas, and vice versa. As an industrial engineer you should know that engineering solutions are not created by simply considering one element of the engineering situation at a time, linear fashion. Design is a comprehensive, not sequential, endeavor. Good luck on your project.
    ...See More
  • buildingcasavega
    Original Author
    8 years ago

chisue...thank you for the feedback and the good call outs. As far as the size of the house, we are currently in a similar size house and we have just become accustomed to have the # of rooms that we have. It just all on a single level and unfortunately the lot just slopes too much to make the new house single story. But I agree with you that I hate stairs and the space they take up!

As far as the laundry room, we actually prefer it to be as far from us as possible as we often run the dryer when we go to sleep in order to save on energy. We live in Northern CA and our utilities company hits peak hour usage pretty hard. But now you got me thinking that I may need to revisit its placement.

Regarding the MBR, we really wanted four "full" walls in the room. We have a lot of art that we love to be able to put on as many walls as possible. And we also have never been fans of having entrances to the MBA right by the bed. So we put the MBA entrance in the entry hallway to the bedroom. That way I can go in the middle of the night and not have to fear turning on a light and waking up the significant other :)

I definitely share your concerns on the extra space in the MBA...does seems like a lot of floor. We will need to re-look at that.

BR #2 is meant for my in-laws as they visit us quite often now that they are retired. We have a full second MBR in our current home and they have become quite accustomed to that way of living :) But also, I do need to prepare for the day that they may need to live with us permanently as they have expressed no desire to go the assisted living route.

• buildingcasavega
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cpartist...sorry about the floor plans, I can't seem to figure out how to make the pictures bigger. In the meantime I am attaching the original sketch with shows the dimensions of the main rooms. While some of them have grown or shrunk by 6"-12" here and there, they are still fairly accurate compared to the final plans. Hopefully these are big enough to read to at least give you an idea of what it looks like.

You are absolutely correct that we do entertain a lot! :) We walked through a newly built custom house at the beginning of our journey and we fell in love with the homes "dirty kitchen". It was a great place to prepare some appetizers and put all of the dirty dishes while cooking and keep the island clean to lay out food and for family/friends to gather around.

Regarding the shower size, I complete hear you. We have a slightly smaller shower right now (but still big) and it can get a little chilly even here in NorCA where the weather is pretty decent year round. Luckily we shower right after we get home so temp in the house definitely helps not develop frostbite :)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Thank you that was quite helpful. Overall I do like your plan upstairs and understand the frustration of the lot not being level. Do you have children at home and that's why you need the extra bedrooms?

I would definitely rethink the W/D.

Additionally, I agree with you about not walking from the bedroom into the bathroom so as not to wake DH. It's why I designed my house with a hallway to the bathroom too. However, I also put our closets off the hallway too. I personally am not a fan of walking through the bathroom, especially with all the turns, to get to my master closet. I would move the linen closet, and also have an opening to the master closet from the hallway. You can keep a door from the bathroom too if you prefer to have that. Then you can close off the whole area with a door to the master suite area.

Additionally I would think about reconfiguring your bathroom so you don't have to walk completely past your vanity and tub and then make another turn just to use the toilet. Long way and lots of jogs to do your business. Also you NEVER want a toilet door opening inwards because if someone suddenly were ill, they would block you being able to get into the toilet room.

Downstairs in the bath, I'd go with one sink and more storage.

Lastly the problem I see that might make it most difficult for your inlaws are the stairs to get into the house. While your inlaws may never have a problem with stairs, many do as they age. My Dad can barely get up and down one stair. Is there a way to get rid of the foyer stairs? Or is there a way that your inlaws could easily get into the house and be sure they are on one floor?

• PRO
    SBA Studios
    8 years ago

It's a nice plan overall.

It would be nice to have a Mud Hall area when coming in from the garage (wider space / lockers / bench?). Walking right into a long hallway is usually not ideal, especially with kids who try to drop everything right when they come in. It is a wider hallway so that will certainly help some.

• lexma90
    8 years ago

I like your plan; while it's bigger than we have chosen to build, it sounds like you've thought through carefully want you want out of this house. I'm a big fan of measuring current spaces to determine how big you want the future spaces to be. And while your shower might be a little chilly, due to the size, I love the windows in the shower - it's one of the favorite parts of our new bathroom. Our windows were carefully configured so that I (the shorter person using the shower) can see out without giving passersby by more of a view of me that they might want to see.

Consider moving your washer/dryer closer to your bedroom. I hate the sounds of our older washer dryer, but our new models are so quiet that I can barely tell that they are on. So that may be less of an issue than you thing.

I agree very much re the stairs in the entry and the entries from the garage. They are accidents waiting to happen. My SO is a physician, and treats lots of older patients - one of the most common ways for people to fall and injure themselves are those little one-step transitions. Very easy to miss seeing them. And I know the problems of a sloping lot - we built on one too, but ours is upward sloping.

• BuildinginTN
    8 years ago

I love the layout overall, particularly the kitchen/dining placement. Funny, I've been wanting a laundry right off the master closet. I'm over hauling laundry baskets all over the place lol, but we have a basement laundry now so anything is an improvement over that.

No suggestions, but I'm loving what you've done so far.

• nini804
    8 years ago

I have a similar set up in my master suite....and love it!! So much quieter when either of us uses the restroom when the other is sleeping, and in the morning getting ready. I spent a lot of time planning the closet. All of our clothes are located in there (no need for a dresser in bedroom) and there is a chair to sit while putting on socks, etc. We have great ventilation fans, and have no problem with moisture in the closet. I think you will really like this set up...plus it does make your bedroom really easy to decorate and gives more options for bed placement, etc.

• bpath
    8 years ago

Maybe you could move the left-hand vanity so that you approach the closet along that wall. Bonus: wall-space for steam-safe art. Are you set on a walk-thru shower? Is the "seat" at the end really more of a "soap and shampoo and prop foot for to dry between the toes" space?

• mrspete
    8 years ago

I'm so glad you posted a clearer image! I couldn't make heads or tails of the first one with all the this-and-that lines.

Can we see an exterior image of this house? I'm not sure at all about the two garages flanking the front door -- I'm thinking you'll present an all-garage image to the street. I'm imagining the front door being dwarfed by the garages, and (with something like 25' between the two garages) I'm thinking that backing in/out of these garages may be challenging for your elderly in-laws (and you eventually). Could the larger garage have car-doors on TWO SIDES so that your in-laws (and eventually you) could drive through and avoid backing up altogether? This is something my husband wants as an aging-in-place detail. OR, do the garages have to be placed in this position? Could you do two two-car garages on one side, serviced by one driveway?

Still on the subject of garages: Your nice, comfortable mudroom is set up to serve the one-car garage ... wouldn't this make sense on the other side of the house? Especially as you age, I'd think you'd appreciate the space to sit down /take your shoes off /drop your bags comfortably. And if you (or your in-laws) end up doing what many elderly people do and use a walker /wheelchair ONLY when you go out, you may need the mudroom to store it.

I agree with CPArt about the steps: Like her father, my grandmother was FINE walking on flat surfaces -- but she was stymied by a single step or a curb. When I'd take her out to lunch, I'd pull up next to a no-curb area, and I'd help her out, then I'd go park the car. You don't need to pay attention to EVERY entrance to your house, but make sure that at least ONE entrance is elder-friendly; and make sure that entrance is covered /protected from the elements.

I'm on board with much of what's already been said here:

- I wouldn't want to build /maintain /heat and cool all this space, and it's not only about the money. You're concerned about conserving energy in the laundry room -- you could conserve so much more by building something moderate. A house this big ties you down in numerous ways.

- I would also want the laundry nearer the master bedroom. With all the space you have here, you could place it in that general area, yet have it far enough away to avoid hearing it at night. I think I'd consider putting a washer/dryer into the area that's currently designated "linen" near the master bedroom. I suspect you'd use it more than the full-fledged laundry room just because it's more convenient.

- Still on the subject of laundry, which I find a miserable, never-ending chore: You're going to have to carry laundry baskets down the maze of a hallway, then thread your way through the bathroom. With a monster-sized closet like this, why not open a second entrance right there into the master bedroom hallway? You can afford the space for two entrances, and it would make your laundry-basket path shorter.

- I don't like all the extra, open space in the master bath. I'd eliminate one entrance to the shower in the name of keeping things toasty warm.

And new thoughts that I don't think have been discussed:

- You say your in-laws may potentially move in with you eventually ... if this is a possibility, I'd make their walk-in closet larger. Imagine you leave this home one day and move in with your children -- wouldn't you, especially if your spouse were coming too -- need more storage? You can easily put hanging space on both sides of that closet by stealing the linen /coat closet space ... of course, then you'd have to steal from the laundry room to replace these other storage areas, but the laundry room's big enough to give up some space. Alternate: Make the garage's tool storage area into a second walk-in for this room. Then you'd have one walk-in accessed from the bedroom, a second from the bathroom.

- Are you going to be able to bring large furniture down the master bedroom's hallway and make that 90 degree turn? I'm thinking of my grandfather, who once had a bed custom-made -- very fancy, with drawers underneath. It wouldn't fit through the doorway, and the carpenters had to disassemble it /reassemble it in the bedroom. When he sold the house, he sold the bed along with it.

- I like the arrangement of the great room - kitchen - dining room. I like the "dirty kitchen" concept, though I think you've taken it to the extreme. I'd downsize the eight-burner stove; I'd rather have the counter space, and I fear it'd dominate the kitchen.

- I see that you have 12' ceilings throughout the main living space. When all the ceilings are high, they lose their impact. I'd consider bringing the kitchen ceiling DOWN (which will also make cabinets easier), yet keep the high ceilings in the great room and the dining room. The contrast will enhance all three areas.

Overall, I like parts of this house -- specifically, the great room, kitchen, dining area, and porch -- but the rest of it I find needlessly overblown.

• lakeviewgirl
    8 years ago

Its a well thought out plan. Few thoughts -

- I think master bath can be better. Will there be any doors in the shower ? How large are the windows ? my concern is that, the main area of the bathroom does not have direct sun light. Since the bathroom is so large, IMO natural light is important.

- the toilet location is not very convenient. If you get up at night, you have to make four turns (or may be more) to get there. if you do outswing door, the space may feel tight. Since you have a large space, I think, you can reconfigure the setup and make it much more functional.

- I am guessing shower is primary here. I am not sure if the towels/linen storage is convenient either. With so much space, may be you will benefit more from creating a "changing area" after shower.

- I like the idea of "dirty kitchen", I am sure it will keep the main kitchen neat and tidy. Also, depending on the orientation of the house, the main kitchen may feel dark as it does not have direct sunlight. I only say that, because, I had a house with almost same kitchen, dining, and great room combination. Only different was, kitchen was not as open as yours. May be the light from great room will be enough. Also, the DW location appears to be in the main prep area. You will get good advise in the kitchen forum on designing the kitchen.

- agree with Mrs. Pete - ceiling variation gives a house much more character, and with open floor plan, it can help define your space.

- With two garages in the front, the elevation might get a bit "garage heavy".

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I don't see a problem with the garages in front the way they are. If well designed they create a courtyard like feel to the front of the home. I see it done all the time in FL and where I live here on Long Island.

I do agree with mrspete about the ceiling heights. However, I would also make the foyer and hallways with lower ceilings. It helps to make the living room feel more special and grand when you enter from a room with lower ceilings into one with higher ceilings.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Sorry, frequent readers, but here I go again about the MBR plan that works for us:

Our MRB has an entry door at a corner of the room, then in the middle of the adjacent wall is another opening to a short hallway. Flanking the hall are our closets (pocket doors, usually open). At the end of the hall are double doors to our MBA, with sinks backing to the closets. The toilet room, tub and shower line the opposite wall. There is a linen closet in an alcove with space for a vanity and bench.

Our closets block any bathroom noises, but it's easy to access both clothes and bathroom from not only our bedroom, but from the entry to the bedroom. I'd tire of skirting the bathtub in your design. (Pretty is as pretty actually *functions*.) I cannot believe an architect would plan closet access via a toilet!

Other than a bed, bench, and end tables, what will be in your MBR? Do you like a headboard on an exterior wall flanked by windows? (Most humans like the security of a solid wall behind them.)

Elderly people = No stairs, at entry or within the house. I'd plan space for an elevator if you expect aging guests to use the lower level. (Two closets, stacked one above the other on two floors, would provide space if you don't want to install one now.)

I see "Pool Bath" on the lower level, but I don't see access from the upper deck to the lower one, outside of the house, and I don't see any 'kitchenette' on the lower level -- if you'll entertain there.

• nini804
    8 years ago

Chisue, isn't her toilet in its own closet? I don't understand your comment about access to the closet "via a toilet?" Our home was designed by an architect as well, and we walk through the bath to the closet. We intentionally wanted this. Many of my friends tell me they are jealous of the set up as their dh's wake them in the morning while dressing. I think everyone has different preferences, which is what makes being able to custom build an absolute luxury.

• buildingcasavega
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WOW! Thank you everyone for the great feedback. I was thinking I would just get one or two additional set of eyes on my plans, but this has been great. Let me do my best to address some of the call outs.

Consensus seems to be that we review the W/D location, the MBA layout, and the stairs. As far as the laundry room, I completely hear each of your concerns. The walk will be pretty far, but at least one good thing is that we only have to do laundry once a week. I will talk it over with the SO to see if a closer placement would fly. In terms of the MBA layout, I too feel it seems a little big, so we will continue to work with the architect on that room. Regarding the stairs, we couldn't agree with each of you more. Regardless if my in-laws live with us or not, I just do not like 1/2 steps in a house period. We are now working with the architect to see how we can get those garages level and eliminate the stairs.

cpartist - your comment on the extra door entrance to the master closet is really intriguing. Especially if we move the entrance to the whole Master area to make it all enclosed. We will definitely keep that in mind.

bpathome - It is hard to tell from the plans, but the seat in the master shower has a handheld shower head located there for the frequent ritual we call shaving the beast :) So it will definitely be put to good use.

mrspete - you read our minds when it comes to the ceiling height of the kitchen. We have noodled putting in faux beams in the great room, but we really aren't sure if it would look good to run them through into the kitchen. We have talked about dropping the kitchen sink at least 18" in order to set it apart from the other rooms as well as not make the cabinets seem like they are floating right in the middle of the wall. More to come on that decision.

lakeviewgirl - thank you for the call out on the DW location. We will have that switched with the trash since we will like be using that right side of the oven as our likely main prep area.

I actually like the look of the garages on either side and like cpartist says, they are also very common where we are building and do create a neat courtyard look. Here is what the front elevation looks like:

Here is a house that I think ours will look similar to (just flipped):

Serrano Custom(Lot 3,Unit 6,Village I) K) · More Info

In terms of the closet location through the bathroom, we were the ones that asked for the design to be this way. Like nini804 calls out, we have always wanted the closets to be a little more secluded as we both travel for work at least once a month and have to get up @ 4am just to get to the airport. That way as long as the person can "ninja" it out of bed, the other can continue to sleep hopefully. chisue - I also don't understand the "via a toilet" comment. Yes, you do walk by the toilet closet, but not through it.

chisue - As far as the MBR, we currently have our headboard flanked by windows, so we have no problem with it whatsoever.

Again thank you all again for the great dialogue and constructive feedback. And thank you for validating that for the most part our plans are pretty cool :) We welcome anything else you can think of. You have definitely given us a lot to think about.

• User
    8 years ago

re ceilings. We almost built a year ago. To address the ceiling height, we were going to do something like below. I don't know if that would work with your style. Good luck building.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

What would the drawback be to flipping the guest bedroom and the master (configuration and all) locations - leaving the laundry where it is. You could then give access to your closet from the laundry. We do have that and it's very convenient. I like your ninja depiction - we have some ninja action going on here too. ;)

You could then flip the pantry/back kitchen and add windows there, make it a walk through if you want. Access to the pantry is quick and easy. I really like that back kitchen pantry - how fun! There is more space on the 'new' guest location, not sure what to do there as I've maxed out my creativity so it's just a gap.

Just a quick and dirty:

• buildingcasavega
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nightowl - thank you for the pics on the ceiling options...much appreciated!

autumn.4 - first of all, you have to tell me how you did that? That is really cool that you were able to flip the plan like that. I am sure it is a simple editor, but definitely not in my wheelhouse right now :) Also, I love the way you think. In fact, I actually did the initial floor plan for the house and I had it drawn almost exactly like you propose. I saw a house with a pass through between the closet and laundry room and we loved the concept. However a few things caused that to change. 1) The sun unfortunately hits on that left side of the house the strongest, so our architect suggested moving the MBR to the other side to help shield it with the dining room; 2) We saw what our neighbors are building (both lots on either side will be new construction) and we have way more privacy on the right side of the house; 3) The view out the right side is actually even nicer and 4) We just couldn't ultimately shake the idea of possible noise or vibration during the night. Even though our machines are only a few years old, they still can get loud during the spin cycle no matter what we do. Great idea though! ;)

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

It's just mspaint. My skills are limited but pretty decent with paint. It allows you to select things, copy/cut/paste, flip them, rotate, resize them, etc.. The only thing it has a hard time with (or I do) is anything with an angle. You select in squares easiest. I think you can freehand a selection but that is tough. You likely do have it if you have windows - it's fun to play around with.

Those are all good reasons. Just thought I'd through it out there in case it worked. Which garage will you primarily use? I am just curious more than anything on that one.

I follow you on the laundry. Our laundry room has tile and I think that helps keep the vibration/sound to a minimum - plus the master is through the closet and then the bathroom (would flip those now in hindsight) so it's a few doors away. I actually find the chimes to be more loud/annoying than the spin cycle but that is one of my 'things'. Ha! I don't do wash through the night much, I mostly use the delay cycle so it's ready to change over when I get home from work.

• buildingcasavega
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the info on mspaint. Just another one of those interesting programs that Microsoft includes which 95% of the population aren't even aware of :) But now I will definitely take it for a spin.

As far as the garage, we decided that the person who gets the groceries will always get the one car garage so that the kitchen/pantry are an easy shot. That will relegate the other person to the left side garage.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

That makes perfect sense! Give it a whirl, it can be addicting though.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Hmm, woke up thinking you could just reverse the plan which would put you can on the more desirable side but allow for easy access to the pantry from garage and I'd really think about windows in that back kitchen. It's nice for natural light and ventilation. I think it'd be a more pleasant space to work in with windows (not that it's not cool enough in it's own right).

....and I think it would be easy to flip the garages if that is a positive so the 3 bay is by the mudroom/kitchen entrance so you can both park there near the kitchen/mud room groceries or not. I'd want the 'standard' entrance to be the one by the mud space/half bath.

There are my mspaint flips for the day.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

Regardless of whether you flip the bedrooms, I'd definitely flatten out the side wall like this -- imagine the red line as the side wall:

Jigs and jogs cost more than a flat wall (both in terms of labor and in terms of materials). This is a side wall, and even if it weren't, this in-and-out wall doesn't seem to add anything to the overall look. The pocketbook translation: More money for no purpose.

Everyone seems to agree that the bathroom could stand to lose some width, and the closet could easily be arranged to fit against this flat wall.

Now that I look at it, you could /should do the same with the other side of the house too.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I do agree that the jogs on the side of the house really add nothing as those will not even be seen.