SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckymommy1

First floor plan review requested

luckymommy1
10 years ago

Hello folks,

I am looking for thoughts on our first floor plan. We will have 5 bedrooms upstairs and a basement as well. A little about us and what we are looking for:

House is primarily home for 6 people and probably a dog in the future. Kids are 3 girls ( ages 7, 9 and 11) and one boy (age 7). We plan to be in this house at least until all the kids are out of high school.

We want to be the house where the kids hang out with their friends. That's what the basement is for. The family room and patio will be the adult hang outs.

I love to cook and we love to entertain small groups.

My FIL visits a few times a year and is in a wheelchair.

Back of the house faces south. We live in Virginia. This will be on a one acre lot.

A few comments that aren't reflected on the plan:
The flex room is a guest bedroom where my FIL and MIL stay.
We are working with the builder to reorganize the bathroom so that it is accessible.
This will include repositioning the door so it is farther away from the kitchen.
We are making the mudroom a foot wider and putting a bench / drop zone with shoe storage and cubbies above for sports equipment and shelves for charging stations. we will also have small counter area for mail / school papers in the mudroom in place of the current coat closet. We have a coat closet in our current house and no one in my family takes the time to open the closet and hang up coats, so we will have many, many hooks instead.

The stairs to the basement are going where the other coat closet is currently, so we are loosing that be too. I would be open to adding a small closet somewhere else if you can find a spot without adding to the footprint :).

The butler's pantry will be a counter with cabinets above and cabinets and a beverage fridge below.

I think that's it. Thanks in advance for the comments and feedback. Your guys are really good a this from what I have read in other posts!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)