SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Ikea Kitchen Plan - Review Request!

numbersjunkie
7 years ago

Getting ready to order before the sale ends on 8/14. I’ve been working on this plan on and off
for a few years so some of you may recall my earlier threads. The house is a brick lakefront rancher that
serves as a vacation rental but we will hopefully be spending a lot more time
there once we’re both retired. As with
most remodels, there are some things that we had to work around and compromises
had to be made. Our biggest design
problem was the location of the entry door from the parking area which cuts into the
main counter run – thus requiring a shallow counter section on one end. Since the house is brick, exterior doors and
walls can’t be moved. We’re keeping the
same approximate kitchen footprint but taking some space from a large walk-in
pantry and laundry closet to allow for a (full size) refrigerator and a tall pantry unit
to be recessed into an alcove on one wall.
The wall on the top will be an open peninsula separating the kitchen and
living room and giving the kitchen a view of the lake through the living room windows.

The new design separates the food prep zone from the cleanup
zone which I am super excited about! In the
existing layout, the only real work area is to the left of the kitchen window
and the range is around that corner where the new doorway to the dining room is. Also the DW is now on the right side of the sink,
and when open it blocks the entry door. With the new design, there will be a prep sink on the peninsula
as well as a double trash pullout on the end.
Also a trash pullout under one side of the main cleanup sink. This forum taught me well and we are getting
rid of the over the range microwave and putting in a “real” hood that vents out
through the roof. A counter microwave
and coffee maker will go on the open counter to the left of the main sink. Base cabinets will be drawers wherever
possible. We will still have a decent
size pantry which also serves as on owner’s closet – locked to renters. Wall cabinets on either side of the window
will be glass front. The open wall to
the left of the range area will be open shelving.

I think I did as well as I could with this design, but I’m
sure there will be some room for improvement. I just hope I haven't totally overlooked something major! If so, let me know so I can try to correct it before the order goes in! FYI, the dimensions of the space are 155" across 168" top to bottom. I wish I could give you a clearer picture, but not sure how to do it. I did this in Excel with 1" per block so its pretty compressed. TIA.

Comments (15)