SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkycamper

Yet another kitchen lighting plan review request

funkycamper
9 years ago

I've been reading a lot here and elsewhere trying to figure out a good lighting plan for my kitchen. While wanting light for today's needs, we plan to age-in-place here and have already noticed we need more light now in our late 50's than we needed in the past in order to see well. So I'd rather over-illuminate and use dimmers as needed during this remodel than have to add more lumens later.

My kitchen is roughly 200 square feet and this plan gives me about 80 lumens per square foot, a total of about 16,200 lumens. The ceiling is only 92" high. Some further info:

* The red circles are 10" pendants with a 14" drop so they'll be at 78" which should be high enough for the rare super-tall people in my kitchen. They each use two 13-watt GU24 CFL's for roughly 1500-1800 lumens each, total lumens of 4500-5400.

* The blue circles are for the LED disk lights we plan to use: Progress Lighting P8022 LED disk lights equivalent to 100-watt incandescents, about 1600 lumens each, for a total of 9600 lumens).

* Halogens in the range hood for a total of about 700 lumens.

* The green line is roughly the only place where I'll have UCL's. The rest of that counter will have an appliance garage. The LED tape lights I'm looking at should give me roughly about 500 lumens in that 3-4 foot length.

My specific questions:

* Is this enough lumens or should I plan for more? Or could I save some money and go a bit less? If so, how much less?

* Is the spacing good? If not, what do I need to change?

* Do I need any kind of lighting in the 54" aisle between counters or will I get enough spillover lighting?

* Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice or tips you can provide.

Comments (19)