SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_janni

Kitchen Layout Review Requested

just_janni
8 years ago

This is going to be long - sorry...

Here's the snapshot of the kitchen with the (open) pantry to get a handle on the overall layout. I was unable to make this large of a design in the IKEA planner so I had to split it up.

Basically, the kitchen is a large galley with island overlooking the great room and dining. The "appliance wall" left to right is Subzero 36" all freezer, Gaggenau 30" oven, Gaggenau steam oven, Gaggenau induction top (and 42' ventahood - not shown), built in microwave and warming drawer (stacked), the matching 30" Gaggenau oven, and a 36" Subzero all fridge. The island has 2 separate sinks and an Asko DW. the appliances shown in the IKEA drawings are for something to put in there and not totally representative.

The Appliance wall pretty much has all drawers under cabinet height, the appliances are at counter level, and then "regular" cabinets above. Here's the IKEA snapshot:

And for the island, the IKEA picture is hard to post since the cabs are the "black / woodgrain" so it's hard to see the differentiation. On the "kitchen" side of the island are (left to right) drawers, 2 pullout trash / recycling centers, sink base with disposer / remote switch, DW, and 2 drawer stacks. On the "front" side of the island I have gone with all 24" wide single door cabinets. They change to 15" deep ones on the "left" end to allow for counter seating that wraps around. I am not skilled enough in IKEA to show the overhanging seating area, although it's somewhat shown in the original floorplan layout.

I can post the Pantry layout - but they are pretty much drawers where the "center" section is (giant passthrough / window area) and large doors / high cabinets everywhere else for storage for food in shelves, a charging station for tablets and phones and all our electronic gadgetry...., and perhaps a coat type "closet" on the end since we don't have one for our front entry. Pantry cabs will be same as the appliance wall cabs.

I am planning ongoing plates and glasses in the island drawers nearest the dishwasher, and pots / pans / small appliances / cooking gadgets / utensils over on the appliance wall. Larger, infrequent use stuff in the upper cabinets.

I went back and forth on a prep sink - but we have one now and don't use it, and I didn't like how it would interfere with the passthrough area. Also the laundry is to the right and it has a nice large single sink and another fridge / freezer.

I am interested in:

• Anything you think I missed with layout or funky features that I should incorporate.
  • Any cool IKEA ideas - we decided to go with IKEA for their modularity and the fact that we could easily use standard sizes. Also - we are looking for some minimalist doors - slabs, really. And - at any time if we decide we want to change the doors it's a one day 'remodel'!
  • cool ways to incorporate my electrical outlets into the island. (I should mention that the right side will be waterfall with our quartzite) Like the pop up ones or the strips under the counter.

Thank you for your eyes on this!!!!

Comments (27)