SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diy2much2do

Layout Review Request

DIY2Much2Do
9 years ago

Hello,

I'd love some of you experienced kitchen remodelers review my plan. I'm still in the concept layout phase, and some days perhaps even in the "is this worth it" phase.

We are contemplating updating the kitchen in our 22 year-old, three-story townhouse. The existing L-shaped kitchen is original, and is on the second floor of the house. Everything is builder basic, inexpensive oak cabinets, white laminate counters and sheet vinyl flooring. We have replaced the original appliances piecemeal over time. There is currently a 3' x 5' kitchen table with five chairs. The room has 8' ceilings with soffits, and tall windows on the outside wall.

We are a 50ish couple with no children. We have a dog. We use our kitchen daily, cooking meals from scratch about six days a week, so functionality is as important as aethestics. It's usually just the two of us, and when we entertain it's just small groups, so we're not designing for a crowd.

The kitchen works reasonably well for us, but we'd like to improve two main issues.

1) Storage. We have too much clutter on horizontal surfaces. Improvements would be by removing bulkheads, taller wall cabinets, additional cabinets in island, redoing pantry in full height cabinets, and purging accumulated items.

2) Bottleneck. The current bottleneck is the inside corner of the L. This functions as the main prep area, but also houses the cutlery drawer, glasses above, and plates are nearby. Hopefully this would be fixed by keeping area to the left of the sink as prep/cooking zone, and moving dish and cutlery storage to the right of the sink in the island or pantry area.

Thanks for any input! Really appreciated, and amazed at everyone's kitchens on this site.

^ Before

^ New Layout 01

Notes on the new plan:

- Closed existing two story opening to foyer below, to provide additional floor area. Honestly, the opening to the foyer below is so small it doesn't really add any spacial quality. Some of the other houses in the neighborhood have this closed up.

- The chase behind the pantry contains ductwork and some pipes, but there's quite a bit of open space as well. Once I open it up to investigate, I may be able to pick up a few inches here and there.

- Island adds counter space, storage and seating. We currently have a kitchen table plus a dining table in the next room. We don't need two sets of furniture with identical function sitting a few feet from each other.

- Enlarged the opening to the dining area by removing most of the wall above the sink. This eliminates some uppers.

- I'm concerned about aisle widths, although it's no different than the current withs with all the chairs in the kitchen, which hasn't been a big deal. We'll mock up the island to test physically. I'm not too worried because our favorite kitchen ever was a small galley in our former condo, which shouldn't have worked on paper but really did. (but we had less stuff then.)

Existing Kitchen Photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: KK Kitchen Album on Flickr

Comments (17)