SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff2718

Suggestions requested on first floor plan

jeff2718
14 years ago

My wife and I have been working on our house plan for a long time now. We've been working with an architect and we've been pretty happy with the process. We're finally at a point where we're close to having what we want for the first floor, but there is one area in particular that I'm hoping someone here might have some creative ideas about. We're still not quite settled on the powder room, pantry, foyer/stairs, but we've been looking at it for so long it's hard to see other ways to do it.

A few notes on the floor plan and house in general:

1) We're building in an historic neighborhood on a lot where the previous home was lost in a fire.

2) The house plan can't be any wider than it already is due to setbacks.

3) There are nice views off of the back of the lot, which is why all of the main living areas are at the back of the house.

4) We want to preserve as much back yard as possible, which is why we've used all of the available width on the lot and why we don't want to extend the plan any further to the back.

5) The banquette in the kitchen won't actually be a banquette. It will just be a sitting area with a couple of chairs.

6) The screened porch will end up being larger.

A few notes about the current floor plan issue:

1) There will be some pantry storage in the kitchen itself, so the walk-in pantry does not have to be right off the kitchen. It will be used to house a second refrigerator or freezer, seldom used appliances, bulk purchases from Cotsco, and possibly a broom closet. Still, we wouldn't mind having it a little closer to the kitchen.

2) We like the built-in server in the dining room.

3) We would like to avoid having a view from the main living spaces directly into the powder room.

I'm sure I've forgotten other relevant information, but I'm happy to supply anything else that might be helpful.

Thanks!

{{gwi:1504857}}

Comments (29)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm