SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthew_hountz

First draft house plan, long time lurker

Matthew Hountz
5 years ago

Long time lurker of the forum. Never posted before since I wasn't building in a residential realm yet, nor having any real world experience to offer to others.

We started with a couple different passive solar ranch plans we liked, and literally pages of comments on those. Working with a designer with 3+ decades of experience, former parade of homes, middle $ to high $ experience. Well reviewed and recommended.

We're quality over quantity types, focus on getting it right for the long term, 40+ years, over short term with kids. That's what the basement is for!

Below / attached is the first draft of our floor plan. The house is intended to be passive solar with a concrete slab main floor on a full basement. There will be 1 now, and future 2 bedrooms in the basement as our 4 kids age, but that area is largely TBD based on the main floor.

SWMBO and I intend to age in place in this house. We're in our late 30's with young kids. So flexibility, while having age in place feature are important. It may seem that we are young to be determining where we will age in place, but a tens, to low hundreds of acres of privacy in the form of family land are big motivators. Worst case, in a couple decades we end up isolated on 70+ acres 40 min commute from a big city.

Up on the image is south. We're building on large acreage, so lots of flexibility on site selection! Site will face south / southwest depending on exact location

We know we want to move the porch on the south side around to the east, and reconfigure the kitchen to accommodate that . What other suggestions are out there. Remember, there's another bedroom in the basement TBD, maybe 2 once some of the kids are older and bedroom #2 turns into an office.

Location is southern Midwest. I can be at the Ohio river in 30 min. 39 degrees north.

Be mean, lay it bare. I'm in an industrial engineering / design occupation, harsh criticism will be accepted and welcome!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022