SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Grades of Hardwood - Is this a bad grade of wood?

njbuilding143
8 years ago

We had our hardwood floors installed today... I did a quick walkthrough after getting out of work and generally was happy.. That was until a friend stopped by and said that it looked like the wood quality was horrible and pointed out that there were a lot of black marks and discoloration between the pieces.. I haven't had a chance to speak with the builder to confirm exactly what "grade" he ordered, but I was curious if the wood really is that bad.. I did a quick search online and see there are 4 grades of wood.. Common #2, Common #1, Select, and Clear... (Lowest Quality to Highest Quality).. After he pointed out the dark/black marks I started to think that maybe the wood was bad and if I should be saying something to the builder.. Personally I don't expect them to use the highest quality, however based on what I was reading online they should have used "Select" for a custom home.. Again, this is an area where I didn't know any better so when we spoke about the house I only specified 3 1/4 inch oak site finished hardwood.. Just curious if those who are more familiar with hardwood can take a look at the picture to determine the grade of wood.. Again, we are not picky people but for the price we are paying for the house we want to make sure quality product is being installed.. My friend said that in his opinion I would be lucky to get 10 years out of the wood that is installed.. Keep in mind that this "friend" is no construction expert or anything and not sure if he is basing this off true experience or what.. Appreciate any input..

Comments (16)