SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jridgeway12

Suggestions appreciated: Installing Tavern Grade hardwood?

jridgeway12
16 years ago

I am installing the Timberland solid wood 5/16" *Tavern Grade* Cherry Maple in my condo this weekend. I've been told that it will be OK to glue directly to the slab. I got the 2 1/4" x 5/16" solid wood. It's acclimating right now and the wood looks better than I expected. Most board seem to have inconsistent color (not many knots in maple), but laying it out, it looks great.

For the price I am very happy right now, but cautiously optimistic as far as how it will install and hold up.

I am having it installed by a legit sub for $1/square (I will provide the glue). Is it worth paying him to do it at that price? I've seen the guy's work and I trust him. I understand he'll need a higher-end glue, but he's trying to find some cheap (leftover from another job).

Very interested to hear any suggestions. Are there any red-flags I should look for? Will it be OK without a vapor barrier? How much can I expect to spend on glue if I have to buy retail? Only flooring about 450 sq/ft.

The wood only cost $1.48/sq so I hope to come out of this installed under 1500 or right at $3.00/sq installed. Have I screwed up buying this wood or should I just roll with it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)