SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
busymumsy

Carpeted steps to hardwood, below grade?

busymumsy
8 years ago

The main level of the house is 5" white oak hardwood. There are steps to the basement walkout bedroom.

I understand I need to use engineered not hardwood in the basement, but what about the steps? They are below grade at least part of the way, but they also immediately abut the hardwood in the hall at the top. Underneath them is crawl space, it is tall enough to walk around in, has a water heater and furnace and the bare earth is covered with plastic. We are in the PNW so there is a high moisture content, well, everywhere! Enough that I do see some plank separation the kitchen above that same crawl space in the winter.

Engineered or hardwood?

I am reading all the threads I can in order to figure this out. We had flooring people bid it and no one mentioned tearing out stringers or treads or rebuilding anything. How do I determine what I need to do?

I have walls on each side, so the treads will be a straight cut, no pretty finished edges. 14 steps, 38" wide. There is a piece of clear fir trim along each side, not well done at the top edge (photo attached.)

Do we take that trim piece off and redo it or adjust it?

I understand the need to make sure the tread height is consistent, I guess we need to do some measuring!

Comment (1)