SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Help me figure out flooring for my mom's below-grade condo?

mjsee
13 years ago

Here's the deal--Mom is 75. She lives in a condo I own that is below grade, on a slab...but daylight. (Basement garage beneath.)She currently has very light carpet that shows dirt lines around the edges of the room. (Air flow or some-such leaving dirt on the edges?) Mom wants something that looks like wood. I want something that will hold up, isn't slippery, and is approved for below-grade. Condo association must approve anything that isn't "carpet" or sheet vinyl. We've got a LOT of floor to cover (I'd guess 800-1000 Sq ft...but I haven't measured) and a relatively limited budget.

She was thinking laminate, but I'm worried it will be slippery. Plus---there's the whole "approval" thing. I'm thinking we should just re-carpet--but that's NOT going to make my mom happy. Do y'all think Tarkett's Fiber Floor in one of the wood grain looks might be a good compromise? Or should we stick with carpet?

I am familiar with the Congoleum glue-down Duraplank...have it in my own basement but I think that's going to be out of our budget...and I think it can be a little slick when wet. Plus--I might have to run that one by the condo board as well.

Another wrinkle--she's in North East Ohio and I'm in NC so I'm not going to be able to DIY it or supervise....and any condo board negotiations will have to happen long-distance.

If Mom would just move in with me, I'd gut the place and sell it...but THAT'S not happening anytime soon...all her friends are up there.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Comments (9)